What's new

Inserting a McMaster Carr 3D File Into An Alibre Assembly

X-15

It's possible that what I'm trying to do is not doable inside of Alibre Design ?? But I thought I'd ask the question first before giving up.

McMaster-Carr has a lot of 3D CAD files in STEP format that for whatever reason I can't seem to constrain in any form or fashion using Alibre Design ??? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's possibly due to these models being created using "surfaces" instead of "solids" ???? (And Alibre won't allow me to insert IGS files which are also available in 3D from McMaster-Carr.) Or maybe as I said such is simply not doable ???? This happens with every type of STEP File I attempt to make use of from there ??????

No matter how I attempted to precisely constrain these McMaaster-Carr STEP files, such as this Eye Bolt into the hole in the tube, it simply would not allow any type of constraint I attempted. And the "concentric" constraint wouldn't even activate ????

Any ideas on how I can resolve this frustrating dilemma ??

1635525682338.png

jfnewman

You have not activated the assembly constraints dialogue box. The upper left of your screenshot "New Constraints" select then you will see different ways to constrain your part.

X-15

I did have the constraints dialogue box open when I did the original screen shot... I just didn't include it in the screen capture.
1635532002034.png

Attachments

• 1635531896187.png
    1635531896187.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 2

dlaery

Alibre Super User
i don't know anything about Alibre Atom, instead of the edge of your pipe, select the face of the hole.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
In your image you have selected a flat face and a a non-circular edge - of course concentric can't work ! Try selecting cylindrical faces.

With imported models it may help to try 'show reference geometry' for the parts - often the planes/axes it was built upon can be useful for constraining.

X-15

Thanks David for the suggestion.

The screen shot shown is just one of literally dozens of different "picks" I made struggling to find some combination that would allow me to insert the McMaster-Carr bolt STEP file into the slots in the legs.

For whatever reason, the McMaster-Carr bolt does not show a "center axis for me to align my hole axis to. The "circular" profile on the McMaster-Carr bolt is made up of four separate sections. None of which will align themselves with any parts of the through hole on the legs. The parts of the McMaster-Carr geometry that looks "round" don't "act" like circular geometry.

Maybe the better question for me to ask is whether or not anyone knows of an alternative components supplier who's 3D geometry works with Alibre Design ?????

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
I use McMaster-Carr STEP models all the time. As others have said, try to use reference geometry instead of the actual surfaces. Not that there's anything wrong with McM's models, it's just a simpler and more reliable way of constraining them to your Assembly.

In your case I would've Aligned the reference axis running down the length of your bolt to the inside diameter surface (not an edge) of the hole in your part.

Reactions: JST

X-15

YEP !!!! That did the trick ! Calling up the reference geometry. Thanks !!
1635540153352.png

Do you know of any advanced Alibre tutorials ? Advanced Training Manuals ?? etc. ?? It's little "secrets" like you guys pointed out that I really need.

Jhaddan

Thanks David for the suggestion.

The screen shot shown is just one of literally dozens of different "picks" I made struggling to find some combination that would allow me to insert the McMaster-Carr bolt STEP file into the slots in the legs.

For whatever reason, the McMaster-Carr bolt does not show a "center axis for me to align my hole axis to. The "circular" profile on the McMaster-Carr bolt is made up of four separate sections. None of which will align themselves with any parts of the through hole on the legs. The parts of the McMaster-Carr geometry that looks "round" don't "act" like circular geometry.

Maybe the better question for me to ask is whether or not anyone knows of an alternative components supplier who's 3D geometry works with Alibre Design ?????
I've been using McMaster-Carr models for years.
I don't believe I have ever run into an issue with their STEP files.
If the model does not have any useful reference geometry, I create them and go from there.

Reactions: JST

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Do you know of any advanced Alibre tutorials ? Advanced Training Manuals ?? etc. ?? It's little "secrets" like you guys pointed out that I really need.
In addition to the training that's available through the Alibre Home>Resources>Training page there are also a lot of older videos on YouTube/Alibre that, although they may have been created with an older version of Alibre, have some valuable information. It may be worth the time to take a look at some of them. YouTube also has some "user created" videos that have some good info in them.

Of course you can always post a question here for any issue you may be having.