What's new

INVENTOR 2020 DREAM OF ALIBRE DESIGN

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi friends,
The other day I was able to run with Autodesk Inventor 2020.
1.- Presentation: Fantastic, no rebundance of graphic...;
2.-Features fillet and chanfer able to be mirrored!
3.-Area Properties;
I have come to expect something like this from Alibre and I still do.

1703984464835.png
1703986803237.png
Same model in Alibre V21: Mirror Error...
1703989498319.png

1703988952557.png
I was able to do this only with feature Mirror Component Patterns in Part WorkSpace.
1703990509699.png

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
GIOV - aren't you going to provide the Alibre part file so that others can see this issue? Or submit it to support?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I liked Inventor too, when my school was giving it to me as part of my tuition. Those days are long gone.

Screenshot_20231231-064139.png

GIOV

Alibre Super User
GIOV - aren't you going to provide the Alibre part file so that others can see this issue? Or submit it to support?
Hi David,
Here is the Hull Part file including the feature mirror error.
GIOV

Attachments

• GIOV 20.5M NOT MIRROR.AD_PRT
    863.5 KB · Views: 6

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It just needs a slightly different workflow - due to the differences between how Inventor and AD treats certain aspects. I found 2 different ways of easily achieving your desired outcome.

One approach used configurations with a part scale/mirror - then Boolean United 2 copies of the part into a new part (one of each hand).

The other approach was done for those who don't have Booleans and Configurations - it's slightly less elegant, but does work.

I'm including images as you won't be able to open v27 files.

Boolean of configs.jpg

Modified workflow.jpg

I'm not sure that it is reasonable to expect Alibre Design to function 100% exactly the same as Inventor.

The difference here is between mirroring feature operations, or mirroring the resulting geometry - subtly different approaches, each with pros and cons.

Attachments

• Hull.AD_PKG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • GIOV 20.5M NOT MIRROR(mod).AD_PRT
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

JimCad

I too spent years with Inventor and was very happy with it. (that was as an employee)
There's no way that I could, or would pay those prices.
Alibre is an absolute bargain and I was happy to purchase it (as long as my wife doesn't find out) :p
I'm still very inexperienced with it as I spend too much time on here and not enough time "doing it"
From what I've seen on the forum Alibre is a fantastic product and the forum help from fellow users is superb.;)
Thank you all contributors.

Jim

Mibe

Alibre Super User
A little bit of hybrid surfacing will fix this. Perfect approach when working with symmetric hulls etc.

I have made some changes in the part file. Basically it's converting to a "base surface" and then use that for thickening and mirroring.

1704144441618.png

Attachments

• GIOV 20.5M NOT MIRROR_SURFACE.AD_PRT
    1.7 MB · Views: 4