What's new

Is Python 3.x coming to Alibre Design Pro soon?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
A few examples using PythonNET and AlibreX.dll. This should work with any version of Alibre Design and Atom.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
If you’re looking to integrate or connect a Python 3 library with Alibre Design, this is already possible today. I have many Python 3 + AD scripts and projects. So, is it coming? Who knows. I can share workflows and solutions I’ve developed. I’m overhauling my development process and plan to add more projects, examples and documentation.

CMick

I guess this was more a question of when official/built-in support would be likely?
I searched up and apparently 2.7.x branch has been discontinued with no further security or maintenance updates for a while now.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I guess this was more a question of when official/built-in support would be likely?
I searched up and apparently 2.7.x branch has been discontinued with no further security or maintenance updates for a while now.
This does not affect Alibre Script, which uses IronPython 2.7.10.0.

The latest:

CMick

The last updates are 2 to 4 years ago for the 2.7.x branches from what I could see in those links.

Unless I skimmed over something?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
The last updates are 2 to 4 years ago for the 2.7.x branches from what I could see in those links.

Unless I skimmed over something?
What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to use the latest Python version? PythonNET allows you to use Python 3 with Alibre Design APIs. The built in Alibre programming language Alibre Script is IronPython. IronPython 2.7.10 and Python 2.7.10 can be used with Alibre as is. Yes, it is outdated and not modern. However, its use within Alibre Design is acceptable (for now).

I agree that an updated Python version is preferred, but it is not necessarily required for an integrated programming language.

More options: AlibreX.dll + IronPython3
https://github.com/IronLanguages/ironpython3

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to use the latest Python version? PythonNET allows you to use Python 3 with Alibre Design APIs. The built in Alibre programming language Alibre Script is IronPython. IronPython 2.7.10 and Python 2.7.10 can be used with Alibre as is. Yes, it is outdated and not modern. However, its use within Alibre Design is acceptable (for now).

I agree that an updated Python version is preferred, but it is not necessarily required for an integrated programming language.

More options: AlibreX.dll + IronPython3
https://github.com/IronLanguages/ironpython3
IronPython 3 + AlibreX.dll scripting:
1713913602355.png
LibraryVB.dll source:

Not officially built-in or supported but the pieces are available today.

CMick

Just wanting to know if/when python 3 official support is coming to Alibre Design.
That’s all I’m trying to achieve really. Nothing more or less.