What's new

Item and callout when mirroring

OrjanB

I have made an assembly were som parts are placed by mirroring existing parts.
The assembly is OK and no problems occured.
Then I made a drawing of the assembly. Dimensioning works OK.
But when I make BOM and callouts strange behaviour occurs:
The mirrored parts gets one itemnumber, while the parts being mirrored gets another itemnumber.
The parts are equal and I expect the calloutnumber and itemnumber to be the same for both original and mirrored parts.
What do I do wrong?

I have made an assembly were som parts are placed by mirroring existing parts.
The assembly is OK and no problems occured.
Then I made a drawing of the assembly. Dimensioning works OK.
But when I make BOM and callouts strange behaviour occurs:
The mirrored parts gets one itemnumber, while the parts being mirrored gets another itemnumber.
The parts are equal and I expect the calloutnumber and itemnumber to be the same for both original and mirrored parts.
What do I do wrong?
Normally a (if you will) Base Part is an as shown and a Mirrored Part is an opposite hand Part. Often called Left Hand Part and Right Hand Part that, though opposites each Part get a different Part Number and Identity. I would suspect that you are maintaining Part Number and Identity where they should have differences. -- Lew

bigseb

Alibre Super User
A mirrored part is not the same as the original part. Hence the different part numbers.

OrjanB

A mirrored part is not the same as the original part. Hence the different part numbers.
Lew_Merrick and bigseb:
Thanks for clarification. I now see that the reason for my confusion is that my mirrored part is symmetrical and therefore occurs equal as the original part. If a more complicated part is mirrored it will be more obvious that it is another part.

Lew_Merrick and bigseb:
Thanks for clarification. I now see that the reason for my confusion is that my mirrored part is symmetrical and therefore occurs equal as the original part. If a more complicated part is mirrored it will be more obvious that it is another part.
OrjanB, Ah, if the Part is symmetrical in its Mirrored form, then it is the same Part that really only uses different Constraints within the UsedOn Assembly (if I am understanding you). It is the (unnecessary) Mirroring that is causing you problems (as I think I am understanding you). -- Lew

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Or use the option in assembly mirror to use existing file. There are a lot of options in the assembly mirror tool, this gives user a lot of control but also lots of ways to get things wrong.

OrjanB

Or use the option in assembly mirror to use existing file. There are a lot of options in the assembly mirror tool, this gives user a lot of control but also lots of ways to get things wrong.
Thanks for the tip. I did some experimenting and this solved the problem. Both BOM and callouts are now correct.