What's new

J wrench

Kevinb71

I haven't used Atom3D (v27 now) in awhile. I have a project that has two basically J shaped features. Having trouble trying to form the inner and outer portion of the u section of the J. Any ideas on the best way to approach this. I need to make a file for my plasma cutter.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20240213171122602.pdf
    472.8 KB · Views: 26

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You could take a screen shot of the PDF then import the image into Atom so you can trace around the part you need to model.

Kevinb71

OK using trace i was able to get to this point. V27 There are 2 lines that don't insect right and need to be trimmed. Also i don't seem to be able to get things defined in magnitude or position for the most part.

Attachments

• Jtrace.AD_PRT
    543.5 KB · Views: 3

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I'm not understanding what you are trying to do here. Are you wanting the J shape to be a solid model?

I'm seeing 4 different sketches, each having a small portion of your J. None of them are complete sketches, or form a closed loop. There's no way you are going to create a solid model with that.

Are you trying for something like this:
1707954699328.png

If so, your sketch needs to be one single sketch, a complete closed loop forming the outline of the J shape. Like this:
1707954776900.png

If your Plasma cutter uses .dxf, .svg or similar files, have a look at this thread. Also, the tutorials in the last post in this thread are pretty good if your struggling with Atom:

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The image you imported for tracing is not the same one you uploaded in your initial post.
Since you have a dimensioned drawing then just sketch the outline following the dimensions on the drawing. It appears to have all the details you need to recreate the tool.

J-WRENCH.22.jpg

Last edited:

Kevinb71

I am just trying with very limited alibre knowledge to change the pdf's that I have into a dxf. I have struggled with the radius's in the u shaped area of the J. As i did so apparently i ended up with it broken into several sketch's. You have shown exactly what i want just in a 2D dxf. I think i'll just start over.

Thanks!