What's new

Left Hand Thread

danwilley

I have a part model with a left-handed thread (1/2-13 LH). The “hole” function only lists right-handed threads. How can I designate/select a left-handed thread on the model?

If I have a choice, I don’t want to just put a note on the part drawing that “the right-hand thread is really a left-hand thread”. I would rather have the model drive the notated thread on the drawing.

A “Left Hand” check box on the hole tool would be ideal, but that does not exist (unless I missed it.)

Thanks,
Dan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
A LH callout would be nice but in the mean time just edit the hole callout to add the LH designation.

danwilley

Yes I know I can always mark up the drawing callout. That is error-prone especially if a thread is changed to a different thread or back to a right-handed thread and the change affects multiple sheets or drawings.... and especially if that change occurs weeks or months from now.

Is there a way to add a left-handed thread to the Alibre local database (or spreadsheet) so it shows up properly from the model? (ie: Instead of having a "left-hand check box" in the hole tool.)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
There has been several discussions on the forum about creating a custom thread file. Run a search on the forum for "custom threads" , there are bound to be some entries that describe either editing or creating the custom thread file.

You can also check here for the new thread data spreadsheet. Look in the Data Management section.

Last edited:

KeithH

I have a part model with a left-handed thread (1/2-13 LH). The “hole” function only lists right-handed threads. How can I designate/select a left-handed thread on the model?

If I have a choice, I don’t want to just put a note on the part drawing that “the right-hand thread is really a left-hand thread”. I would rather have the model drive the notated thread on the drawing.

A “Left Hand” check box on the hole tool would be ideal, but that does not exist (unless I missed it.)

Thanks,
Dan
I’ve brought this up on a support ticket before. I think it should be added to the program also. But DavidJ responded with a way to work around it and do it and it worked (do a ticket and I’m sure they will give you the answer)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Left Hand threads are not a default option.

For the occasional or 'one off' you could simply manually edit the callout in the final 2D drawing.

If Left Hand threads will be a routine feature of your designs, you can edit Alibre's thread definition spreadsheet to include extra entries for left hand threads. You would insert additional rows where required, duplicating the data from the right hand thread - then edit (maybe add 'LH' or 'Left Hand')
'Designation' - which is used in 2D drawing callouts
'Custom Name' - which is name which displays in the Hole/Thread tool drop down selection list.

If preferred, rather than adding extra rows to an existing thread series, you could add an entire new sheet which copies an entire series, or which just holds your commonly used Left Hand threads (even if from mixed series).

Take care to follow the instructions in the help when modifying the thread definition file. It is a good idea to make a back-up copy before making changes.

KeithH

Left Hand threads are not a default option.

For the occasional or 'one off' you could simply manually edit the callout in the final 2D drawing.

If Left Hand threads will be a routine feature of your designs, you can edit Alibre's thread definition spreadsheet to include extra entries for left hand threads. You would insert additional rows where required, duplicating the data from the right hand thread - then edit (maybe add 'LH' or 'Left Hand')
'Designation' - which is used in 2D drawing callouts
'Custom Name' - which is name which displays in the Hole/Thread tool drop down selection list.

If preferred, rather than adding extra rows to an existing thread series, you could add an entire new sheet which copies an entire series, or which just holds your commonly used Left Hand threads (even if from mixed series).

Take care to follow the instructions in the help when modifying the thread definition file. It is a good idea to make a back-up copy before making changes.
I would still like to see this in the program. Manually typing "left hand thread" on 2d drawing assumes that your user base is not machining their own stuff. A cam program doesn't read 2d drawings. it assumes the part is made correctly it the cad file. While your idea does work. It should be in the program. Inventor, solidworks, freecad, and fusion360 all have this option in the program

KeithH

i guess the main thing is left handed threads are very common in design. there are turnbuckles. its impossible without on side being right and the other side being left handed threads. a wheel on anything: you dont want it loosening so you make it the opposite thread for the normal rotation. theres a million instances of why people need left handed threads and most are either design or safety. just a thought. this should be a big feature update that might not seem like much for alibre but its big for the people using the program and actually designing a product for market