Votes: 10 13.9%
  • I will drop if there is no version update or patch in the next year

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I love the product and will pay maintenance forever

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Only if some one looks at the poll. Which I do not think will happen. Like it been said Design is a dead beyond any hope of being revised. :cry:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@NigelL, there is a difference between updating a website and branding AND actually delivering a product and regular updates. If you feel so positive, tell us when the next actual release will be. Like many other on here, we have kept our side of the bargain by investing in 3DSystems and Geomagic Design with hard earned cash and we have seen NOTHING for it for 16 months, not even a sign that the product is still being developed. So, I'm sure even you can understand the frustration and perceived negativity ! ... and that's just the users that are passionate about the product.

NigelL

Hi Simon

Don't get me wrong - I have also invested in GMD over the last 6 years or so. My current 3-year subscription, which runs out in October, has clearly not been the best return on investment.
My post was really an observation that there is some new activity on the 3DSystems website - and hoping that this may be a precursor to a new release.

The fact is that, as somebody who has been "doing CAD" since 1971 and has used most CAD products on the market today, there are only about 2 dozen features and operands missing from Geomagic Design required to make it a "world-beating" generalist CAD system. My short list (many posted here over the years) for the Modeler is: (1) Improved and expanded Constraints; (2) Replacement of the "canned" list of File Propertied->General->Part Data by a user-definable list set (ala the alibre_unicode_custom CSV lists used elsewhere); (3) Expansion of Equation Editor functionality to include IF THEN ELSE types of decision making, character strings, and the like; (4) Improved API functionality (and support for WizoScript); better overall documentation; and the like.

My list for the Drafting module is actually much longer. My overall statement is that a CAD-generated Drawing ought to be equivalent to the best hand-drawn drawing every time! Precedence of "external edges" versus "internal edges" should be a normal default. Etc.

There are few parts of this that fall into the trivial category. And, I have been led to believe, the code documentation has been allowed to "slide" for many years -- an exceptionally non-trivial task for "recovery." The real question is, who is heading up this effort and what resources do they have to support such efforts?

TomB

Lew_Merrick said:
... My short list (many posted here over the years) for the Modeler is: (1) Improved and expanded Constraints; .... (3) Expansion of Equation Editor functionality to include IF THEN ELSE types of decision making, ...

I could not agree with your list any more. It is obvious that changes are needed to constraints and some of the most needed improvements are relatively minor code additions. That equations need an 'if-then' function and a way to interact with constraints might be a bit harder to implement but it still would not be considered a hard requirement to specify or design. The additions to equations would simply implement the function that is common to all control languages other than this one.

We have 3 licenses currently under maintenance and none will be renewed if nothing happens in the next few months.
Our company has recently taken on two new designers to work on closed projects (they will run as a separate design department working on their own projects) and has already decided not to buy any more seats of Geomagic. They have been supplied with Inventor.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
My vote was that I'd 'already dropped' 3 months ago. I will say this, if a new version is rolled out this year and we get some deal for jumping back into maintenance status, I'll be there.

762x51

dmckee101 said:
My vote was that I'd 'already dropped' 3 months ago. I will say this, if a new version is rolled out this year and we get some deal for jumping back into maintenance status, I'll be there.

Should you decide to renew your maintenance contract after it's been dropped then you'll be charged an extra $100.00 to reactivate it. Maybe they will decide to drop this charge but I doubt it.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
762x51 said:
Maybe they will decide to drop this charge but I doubt it.
It would be the decent thing to do. Especially since people paid for a year and got nothing. In fact everyone should get 2016 for free.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
762x51 said:
Should you decide to renew your maintenance contract after it's been dropped then you'll be charged an extra $100.00 to reactivate it. Maybe they will decide to drop this charge but I doubt it.
That would be fine by me. I just can't chuck out money for maintenance waiting for the next great thing that is 'right around the corner.'

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
It would be the decent thing to do. Especially since people paid for a year and got nothing. In fact everyone should get 2016 for free.

That reminds me - do those of you who have reported bugs ever hear back from anyone about the status, aside from an acknowledgement that you reported it?

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I can put a lot more simpler MikeHenry actions. Simply put "Yep it is a bug so sweep it under the rug and forget it".

kuhncw

My maintenance runs out tomorrow, 17 March. I would probably renew if a new version is released as I really like the software and have been a user since Alibre was free at the beginning.

Sometimes good software manages to live on. My 2D package is Visual Cadd, which began as Generic Cadd years ago, running on two floppy discs. It has lived, died, migrated from DOS to Windows, has come back under various names, and still exists.

OnShape looks good, but I don't like to put everything I do into the public domain and I'm reluctant to spend $1200 a year for home hobby use.

I understand the need for maintenance charges, but need to see some return for my money.

Hopefully GeoMagic will live on as it fits my needs as a hobbyist very well.

Chuck

nvanlaar

Fusion 360 is free for startups/personal/hobby use. Sheet metal is currently in beta and the rest of the software is pretty darn solid and really versatile. I am starting to transition over to it.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
nvanlaar said:
Fusion 360 is free for startups/personal/hobby use. Sheet metal is currently in beta and the rest of the software is pretty darn solid and really versatile. I am starting to transition over to it.

The question is, how long will that free version last and will they put in place restrictions for the free version at some point in the future?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
nvanlaar said:

It seems to not be free forever though. :? According to their Web Service Entitlements as an individual you are designated as a "Startup" and limited to a 1-year entitlement, or less, depending on Autodesk's mood of the moment. Notice the part where "Free" will end at the date of notification to you by Autodesk, which could be earlier than one year from date of access. I'd hate to be half way through a project and get that email. :shock:

Szumi

I signed up for Alibre Expert or whatever the top level version was a few years ago. I'm a hobbyist for the most part but I will noodle out something for work at home. At work I have a seat of Solidworks so I have options. When the rep that used to post stated maintenance would stay at 299.00 for expert I upgraded. Then it become 400 + state tax. I wasn't getting that much use out of the program as my interests tend to move around and circle back. The fact that I was lied to totally soured my outlook. So for $126 a year they hoped to get, they lost 300 a year that I'd have kept paying.