Votes: 10 13.9%
  • I will drop if there is no version update or patch in the next year

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I love the product and will pay maintenance forever

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Odd - the last official posting on GMD's Facebook page was back in 2013. Do you have a link for that Swedish reseller's page? My Google-fu wasn't up to the task of finding it.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
My company is looking to leave Powershape (because of Autodesk) and get something else. I find I cannot recommend GD. Not because its bad software, its been holding its own quite nicely. Simply because 3DS really do act as if they don't care. And not only do my higher-ups want new software, they also want a scanner and 3D printer and other bells and whistles. 3DS could've been a one-stop shop. Could've.

Top of the short-list is Visi CAD/CAM, after that Solidworks and ZW3D. Visi looks pretty good and is a lot more 'mainstream' in our line of work.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Very odd - that page has a recent post referring to "Alibre Design" and another which appears to be talking about training for Alibre Design, a product which hasn't existed under that name in a few years now.

Thanks for the link!

Mibe

Alibre Super User
In Europe a lot of resellers refer to the product as Alibre. As you know the name change was not very popular...

Also, a lot of users also still use Alibre Design, not Geomagic Design, and some resellers still give them support.

It's also a bit nostalgic, I guess...

Jasper

How does one go about dropping maintenance, and still maintain the ability to use the currently installed GD version? Is there anything special I have to do or anyone I need to contact, or just not pay when my date comes up?

Thanks,
P

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Jasper said:
How does one go about dropping maintenance, and still maintain the ability to use the currently installed GD version? Is there anything special I have to do or anyone I need to contact, or just not pay when my date comes up?

I just didn't pay the last maintenance invoice and made sure that I had a valid copy of the install files in case I needed them for a new PC down the road sometime in the event that 3DS or Geomagic stops supplying them. Other than that you don't need to do anything so far as I know. As of right now you can still install through the facility offered at Geomagic's support page (which you can find with a bit of searching), though that may change in future.

As it happened I did need to install one of my two licenses on a new laptop and needed the assistance of Flex (the license contractor) to do that. They had me up and running within 12 hours or so, even though I am no longer on maintenance.