What's new

Material Library Wishlist

Max

Administrator
Staff member
If adding hardness - it needs to be able to cope with the multiple hardness scales (or just be a bare number, that can be used for any scale).

Single value for most mechanical properties isn't too bad for metals - composites become much more complex. I can imagine it being useful to call out say minimum or a range of values on drawing for some mechanical properties (say if restricting tighter than a property range given in a common standard).

Would the 400 or so common materials have North American names, or be more generic?

From past experience I know this is far more complex than it seems at first glance.

Agreed, there is some subtlety here we're still working on. Many materials also have properties that vary over some condition, for example temperature. I'm not positive how we'll handle that at this time, but we are thinking about it.

For reference, we're looking to work with http://www.matweb.com/ so you can browse what data they have available for a few common cases like metals, composites, etc. and get an idea of the complexity we are trying to wrangle into something usable. Let me know if you have any ideas.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Home> Option >Standard>ISO measures and material spec units or ANSI measures and material spec units or other and do not make confusion in part, assembles and sub assembles.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
If I understand you right you want to have a material property called Shrinkage that has a number as its data, and you want to use this data as a variable input to a feature, Scale in this case?

Exactly. Useful for creating cavities. For example, ABS has a shrinkage of 0.7%. This would be entered as 1.007 (as it currently is in the scale tool).

BigSeb's use case of populating a value (e.g. Scale factor) from a value in the Material Properties list will not be available in v21 since we have so much else going on already.

homercry.gif

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Yes. Scientific notation has thrown most of us at least once. It really isn't helpful to me except for say values <= E-6 or >= E6.
Otherwise screen space is cheap and would be better to just display fully.

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Like Lew said - Parts have materials. Assemblies are a combination of parts that might be multiple different materials.

Yes, this is quite silly. I'm not sure why someone decided it was a good idea many years ago.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Can we get "REAL WORLD" outputs for physical properties please?

Mass = 5.995837819E1 kg = Mass = 59.958 kg

Mass = 1.251941271E-1 kg = Mass = 0.125 kg

Don't be ridiculous, you'll WORK for your measurements :mad:!!

Yes, this is a good idea and long needed. I'm not sure we can fit this into v21, but could definitely be v22. It's not hard, but v21 is quite chock full right now, and this probably needs some GUI so you can select how many significant digits are shown, at what point scientific notation is used, if any, store that in your profile, etc. so adds up to more than just "super trivial".

An easier implementation would be to just not use scientific notation at all. That might be something we could do on short order. Will anyone scream if we stop using scientific notation as the only change, for now? So it won't be 0.125 kg but it will be 0.1251941271 kg.

MKR

Yes, this is quite silly. I'm not sure why someone decided it was a good idea many years ago.
I actually use it regularly.
When a customer sends a stp file that is oriented completely crazy, I make an assembly drawing with one part and define the material in the assembly.
But if the material from the part comes thrue to the assembly when there is only one part then that is fine with me.

/Michael

Last edited:

TimoCAD

Hi Max,

I think "Young's Modulus is missing" ? Since you have "poissons ratio and Young's Modulus" are needed for a linear FEA Sim.

Greets, Timo

simonb65

Alibre Super User
If adding hardness - it needs to be able to cope with the multiple hardness scales (or just be a bare number, that can be used for any scale).
If it's a 'number', it really needs another associated string parameter 'scale'.

Hi Max,
The first , most important step - add editable material.
The Young's modulus is one of the most important parameters.
Every FEM is based on it.

Janusz

Win10 (64 bit) Destop AMD Ryzen 3 1200 32 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Alibre Design Expert 2019 (build 20065)

PPi

There are use cases. For example, I'm designing a machine that has parts from a supplier. The supplier gives us a 3D model for it, that may consist of several parts. To have weight for this 3D assembly correct, I don't want to go thru all the parts separately from the delivered 3D model to set material for each part to get the weight right. In most cases, it is enough to set density for everything to some calculated value to get the correct mass for the model. Yes, it may not result in the correct centre of gravity, but then again the 3D model may not have every internal part modelled 100% precisely either due to business secrets. For one example I can give you a Briggs & Stratton combustion engine or some hydraulic component.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
There are use cases. For example, I'm designing a machine that has parts from a supplier. The supplier gives us a 3D model for it, that may consist of several parts. To have weight for this 3D assembly correct, I don't want to go thru all the parts separately from the delivered 3D model to set material for each part to get the weight right. In most cases, it is enough to set density for everything to some calculated value to get the correct mass for the model. Yes, it may not result in the correct centre of gravity, but then again the 3D model may not have every internal part modelled 100% precisely either due to business secrets. For one example I can give you a Briggs & Stratton combustion engine or some hydraulic component.
Have you checked if it is calculated using the parts or the assembly materials? I just checked and I got identical results no mater what I changed the assembly material to.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I think "Young's Modulus is missing" ? Since you have "poissons ratio and Young's Modulus" are needed for a linear FEA Sim.

I think this is what MatWeb calls "Modulus of Elasticity" - but I'm not a FEA expert nor a mat science guy so correct me if this is not correct. We could name it Young's Modulus in AD.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
If I understand you right you want to have a material property called Shrinkage that has a number as its data, and you want to use this data as a variable input to a feature, Scale in this case?

Sounds right to me. For example, when sand casting aluminum, the patterns have to account for ~7% shrinkage. On a 24 inch long lathe
bed, that is more than 1.5 Inches. Makes a huge difference. And at the hobby level, the molder and pattern maker are usually the same person. ;) (Copper is ~6%)

So this property would be used by the pattern maker to get the castings the right size. Not undersized.

A material property that I could really use is shrinkage. And I would like to call up that value as a function in the scale tool.
Hi Sebastian -- The "coefficient of thermal expansion" would need to be "mated" to a value for "molding temperature" to truly be useful.

I think this is what MatWeb calls "Modulus of Elasticity" - but I'm not a FEA expert nor a mat science guy so correct me if this is not correct. We could name it Young's Modulus in AD.
Hi Max -- Modulli values may be thought of as "Strain Spring Rates" -- Tensile ("Young's") Modulas may be thought of as a "Spring Rate" described as "stress/length/length" which, as the "length/length" value cancels out, it is displayed as a stress value. -- Lew