What's new

Mechanical Constraints - Screw

DBC

Am I correct in assuming that Alibre Expert 2018 does not have any mechanical constraints such as Screw, Gear, Cam, Slot, Rack and Pinion. At this point I am particularly interested in a screw constraint.

Am I correct in assuming that Alibre Expert 2018 does not have any mechanical constraints such as Screw, Gear, Cam, Slot, Rack and Pinion. At this point I am particularly interested in a screw constraint.
DBC -- If you meant that "as a "screw" rotates a "related Part "displaces," then the answer is no Alibre Design lacks such a Constraint (something about which I have been asking for since 2009).

Attachments

• Constraint System Improvements 01 20150308A.pdf
    114.2 KB · Views: 6

JST

Alibre Super User
Specifically, you COULD do that, except that the program will not accept the flank of the thread as a valid surface to use in an alignment. Otherwise you could potentially use a tangent alignment of the screw flank to some suitable object.

A specific "screw alignment" would not be needed if that contiguous surface was accepted.

Likewise, one cannot make a surface out of several elements, there is no "stitch surface" capability, so for instance, you cannot make a "U" shaped surface out of a half cylinder and two planar parts.

idslk

Alibre Super User
At this point I am particularly interested in a screw constraint.
What you want to do? Do you want to take your mouse and screw a screw manually into your CAD-model;)
Or do you want to make an animation with moving bottles?
Regards
Stefan

A screw is just a wedge wrapped around an axis. Perhaps there is something that can be done with that in mind.
Nate -- Although it requires an Initial Start Condition (call it a Zero Setting) all you should need to define is the Pitch per Revolution and the Pitch Direction per Revolution Direction to make it work. A current problem with this approach is limiting the "Angle of Rotation" to 0°-360° -- but that should be a fairly simple exercise... -- Lew

DBC

What you want to do? Do you want to take your mouse and screw a screw manually into your CAD-model;)
Or do you want to make an animation with moving bottles?
Regards
Stefan

Both, but more importantly the first. I am not a programmer so don't know what it would take, but it makes sense for Alibre to have it if they are going after the SW market.

Both, but more importantly the first. I am not a programmer so don't know what it would take, but it makes sense for Alibre to have it if they are going after the SW market.
With a proper "Totate to Pitch" Constraint you should be able to do either.