What's new

MoI (Moment of Inspiration) & Maintenance Updates

H-L-Smith

I was very interested in the 12/03/2010 announcement about Moment of Inspiration (MoI) which in part says:

... "Moment of Inspiration (MoI) will be included in future purchases of Alibre Design Expert. ..."

As a person who has worked in Rhino, I find the prospect of a similar surface modeler in Alibre Design Expert very exciting. Has anyone heard how the MoI program will be handled as far as maintenance updates for those of us with Alibre EXpert?

For those of you who haven't seen the announcement, the Alibre website has the following page:

http://www.alibre.com/products/moi-for-alibre.asp

Cheers,

Lonnie

AndrewTing

H-L-Smith said:
I was very interested in the 12/03/2010 announcement about Moment of Inspiration (MoI) which in part says:

... "Moment of Inspiration (MoI) will be included in future purchases of Alibre Design Expert. ..."

As a person who has worked in Rhino, I find the prospect of a similar surface modeler in Alibre Design Expert very exciting. Has anyone heard how the MoI program will be handled as far as maintenance updates for those of us with Alibre EXpert?

For those of you who haven't seen the announcement, the Alibre website has the following page:

http://www.alibre.com/products/moi-for-alibre.asp

Cheers,

Lonnie

"included in future purchases of Alibre Design Expert"

i love this line, but i've already got my Expert... or is this line an error?

Hop

RocketNut said:
I have Expert version and can not find MoI. Is it a add on?

Yes, it is an add-on, available until December 31 for $150 to anyone with an existing Expert license . You should have received an e-mail from Alibre. Also see Max's link above.

Hop

A

Anonymous

NateLiqGrav said:
Is it a fully integrated add on or just an export to/import from the MOI program kinda thing?
It's not integrated it is a stand alone export to STEP situation. There are a few things you need to know when exporting though. You will need to use the MOI browser to select the surfaces or solids in the MOI part then export them to STEP. MOI does not maintain association to sketches once they are used to create a surface or solid so when you just save to a STEP format you get all the sketches in the STEP file which Alibre can not read. When you select export, you only export the selected items which should be surfaces or solid to export for Alibre.

ahelin

I think this is milking existing customers on mainentance of more money, While it's nice that they included a freeform modeller having to pay extra just to have that when you are already on mainentance feels like I paid for the update for the program now I need to pay more to have basic stuff that I would expect from the expert version, likewise with alibre motion, after alot of votes on the stuff for suggestion they will probably fix that some day, and let existing customers with motion pay extra to update themselves even though they are on maintenance. That said alibre is a great program, though the price for being on mainentance of expert seems to get lower and lower. Maybe some day we will have extrude as a plugin who knows.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
You would have a valid point (and I'd back you up then) if this was replacing a fully integrated add on (like Motion/CAM) or was replacing some obsolete functionality that you already had through Alibre (like the Vault replaced repository or the "Shots" rendering software replaced the outdated & user unfriendly PhotoRenderer). That is not the case however. In the case of MOI, Alibre is basically being a reseller and is including something brand new with new sales of Alibre Expert.

denisgb2

I think that ahelin has a valid point. I am, yet again, disappointed that prepaid existing maintenance does not qualify for certain "new features". I purchased 3 years of maintenance in one block and figured I was all set....then Hypershot came along and could be added for a fee, which I did, now Keyshot 2 can be had for a fee, or Keyshot for Alibre, (which should take the place of photorender to replace the loss of resolution with Keyshot for CAD) for an even higher fee, and MOI, for a fee. I can get Keyshot 2 for "free" if I extend my non-expired maintenance....Milking? I tend to think so.

I hear the argument about how Alibre is a good value, and how reasonable the maintenance fee is compared to other software, and because of that everybody cannot get the upgrades that are included for new customers, but I think that argument is bogus. The main reason I bought Alibre is because of its price and features, and despite the price, I expect it to function as it should, which it does for the most part. I bought maintenace, because it is not included with the software, and I expect my maintenance subscription to cover improvements, enhancements additions, or whatever you want to call them, that are introduced along the way. Why? Because Maintenance Informaton at http://www.alibre.com/training_support/ ... e_info.asp, defines what software maintenance is.

I do not see any conditions attached to the definition. Maybe I should look up the word "unlimited".

mshideler

denisgb2:

I think you answered your own question with your link that you posted to support your argument (if I read your email correctly)

"I bought maintenace, because it is not included with the software, and I expect my maintenance subscription to cover improvements, enhancements additions, or whatever you want to call them, that are introduced along the way"

The link speaks specifically of the Alibre software that you purchased. Maybe the agreement with Hypershot/Keyshot developers allowed them to give away free upgrades. I mean the versions of Keyshot that you get now and used to get with Hypershot are more marketing avenues. If you like Keyshot, but need more features you upgrade.

Maybe the owners of Moi 3D do not want to give it away and since Moi is not made by Alibre and it does not run within the Alibre environment I wouldn't consider it an addon, update, improvement, etc. Moi is a completely separate piece of software made and supported by a completely separate company. Moi is also not a new feature. If Alibre added a new function to Alibre then you can argue the feature part but Moi is seperate and independent software.

Not everything can be packaged up and the risk that is taken the second you buy something is missing out on a new sku. This happens with anything, computers, furniture, cars, dining out, clothing stores, etc. I admit it can be frustrating, but it is how the world works.

from maintance link you posted "Is maintenance required?
No. It is highly recommended for any level of Alibre Design, since you can get every major and minor update to the software, which includes bug-fixes and new features."

"..to the software..." that means to Alibre Design.

rollin45

Come on folks,, Alibre has negociated a deal to get some additional software, free for new users, and a half off discount for others.

Do you expect Alibre to also upgrade your copy of Windows as time goes along? or maybe you think they should also buy you some additional ram so you can better use the new features? :roll:

Get a grip.

rollin'

AndrewTing

just wondering, how is the purchase procedure like for people who does not have the email, but is having an expert license?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Just contact your reseller and ask him for the MoI discount for Expert users. It ends at the end of the month.

Max

denisgb2

Thanks for your perspectives.

Here is my grip....

When I click on the PRODUCTS link and read "Design suites for business-class users that provide comprehensive modeling, detailing, interoperability, and downstream applications." and then click on that link and find the next page goes on to describe the "Main Product Overview for Expert, which includes everything in Professional, and then I look down all the Core Functionality-Model Creation and Documentation and see that Alibre Design Expert comes with MoI and then further drill down in the descriptions and explanations, I read that additional things are included in the Alibre Design Expert product, Part Libraries, Photorealistic Rendering, Document Management, Alibre CAM and Alibre Motion. They are all included in the product.

Click on WHY ALIBRE? and read the 12 reasons to buy. #12 says Alibre Design comes in three flavors. I presume the are referring to PE, Professional, and Expert...and Pro and Expert are elsewhere called suites.

Further on the product page , click Compare AD Pro vs. Expert. Under Alibre Design Comparison they say "This page details the differences between the Alibre Design product levels. Different levels of Alibre Design include various pieces of functionality shown under the Product Info section of the website."

I conclude that Alibre markets Alibre Design Expert as a suite, it being one of the” three flavors”, and is called by Alibre a product in itself, and that the maintenance for Alibre Design Expert, as I pointed out in the earlier post, includes unlimited access to product updates. Product updates would certainly include "various pieces of functionality", which would mean everything that is included in the Alibre Design Expert product during the maintenance period.

From reading what is on the Alibre site, why would I think that Alibre Design Expert maintenance would not include everyting in Alibre Design Expert?

mshideler

Again, that goes to the deals that they may already have with other software makers, or Alibre themselves coded the programs.

Motion, the FEA package, and the rendering tools are "lite" versions of what you can upgrade to if you choose. There is no 'lite' Moi so why would they give you a free or lite version for nothing and give you free upgrades?

Point is the deals change all the time. How much grab back do you expect? 2 years from now someone may get a better deal that you did on their package, does Alibre (or any company) have to go back and upgrade everyone to the same level if they paid maintenance? No they do not.

If McDonalds gives away a free super size tomorrow and you bought a regular meal today, can you go in tomorrow and tell them you want your extra fries and soda?

denisgb2

mshideler,

I honestly do not understand what McDonalds, lite versions of software, grab back, and deals Alibre makes with software vendors have to do what I am talking about.

I tried to explain my points, and I appologize if my argument does not hold water. I have already resigned to the fact that I have old maintenance, and that if I had new maintenance I would be getting different versions of Alibre Design Expert suite.