What's new

Multiple Exploded Views

kin

In an effort to create exploded assembly drawings for fixturing I need to create multiple exploded views of the same assembly. The individual views are at different angles with various panels/parts hidden. Everything I tried so far does not give me the results I need. If I create an exploded view in one orientation, the create an exploded view in another orientation the first view is changed as well. The same goes when suppressing parts so they don't show.

Any suggestions out there?

Here is an example:
exview.jpg
This works for the top view, but now I need other views showing what is in the "box" at the bottom, and what is attached to the underneath of the ugly yellow plate

Max

Administrator
Staff member
There are 2 things you need to select during drawing creation to get what you want:
1) Which Exploded View you want to use and
2) Which View you want to use (where are you looking at the model from)

There are 2 basic methods of View selection:

1) Select a standard view from the options.
In the "top View" like in your image, perhaps your view selection looks like this:
upload_2018-11-19_20-17-12.png

Then when you're ready to move to the second section view, add a New Standard View on your sheet, select the 2nd Exploded View, and then perhaps your next view selection shows it from the other side:
upload_2018-11-19_20-18-52.png

2) For total control, create your own views
- Go into your 3D model
- Go to the Viewing and Analysis tab and select Manage View
- Orient the model where you want it, then click Add and name the View. Repeat for all desired Exploded View orientations.

upload_2018-11-19_20-22-41.png

- Now fire up a drawing and in the View Creation dialog box, select your assembly, select your Exploded View, then click Workspace Orientation. Select your desired saved view and press Set. This view is now the "Front View" - so select Front View (and any others you may want) and proceed to project it.

upload_2018-11-19_20-25-9.png

kin

Thanks for the suggestion. That is a technique I have been using but does not totally solve the problem. I need to be able to hide some of the panels in some views but not others.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Right click the edge of the part you want to hide in the 2D view > Hide or Hide in All Views.

kin

That's the ticket. I have been looking all over for something like that. I figured it had to exist. For what it is worth that option is only available when "View Type" is "Standard". That is why I could never find it. In the past my exploded assembly drawings have been in "Shaded". However, once the parts are hidden you can switch back to "Shaded" view and the parts are still hidden.

I have been using Alibre for the better part of 10 years and have never been able to find this...

Thanks for the help.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
No problem. If you want a shaded view, you can suppress the desired parts within a Configuration in the assembly and then project a view selecting the correct configuration and Exploded View. Shaded Views are a different beast than other view types and have some restrictions, but you should be able to accomplish this via configurations if you have Expert and want Shaded.