What's new

Naming Equations *Solved*

Does anyone know if there is a way to name an equation/variable during the drawing/extruding process?

**Using Alibre Expert V25**

Lets say I draw a rectangle, [20"] x [30"]. In the equation editor these values typically would be named D1 and D2. Is there a way to input something like: [(Width)=20"] x [(Height)=30"] inside the rectangle tool and have the names appear to their corresponding value within the equation editor? I'm using names inside a bill of materials to create a simple cut-list table and skipping the step of opening and renaming every value would speed things up.

Thanks for your time! Hope everyone's doing well in 2023 :)

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
You can click the f(x) button next to any input in the dialog and edit the name for that dimension in the equation editor. It will be the highlighted row when the equation editor opens. Note that selecting another row before you exit will select that variable as the value of the one you clicked f(x) next to.

You can click the f(x) button next to any input in the dialog and edit the name for that dimension in the equation editor. It will be the highlighted row when the equation editor opens. Note that selecting another row before you exit will select that variable as the value of the one you clicked f(x) next to.

Thanks Nate, I do see the f(x) button when using tools like dimension however it doesn't seem universal to all tools. Also it seems to just opens the equation editor where I am accustom to renaming my variables currently. I was hoping for a shortcut for naming each length of the rectangle while still inside the rectangle tool (or others like Line, Circle, Etc). I thought there might be a chance that there are hidden commands for interacting with these input boxes. I just want to be able to program my shapes lol: Rec(X:{name="width"; value=20;} Y:{name="height"; value=30;})
30;} This probably doesn't exist but I'd always rather ask someone wiser to make sure!

recTool.PNG

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
IF you are using Realtime dimensions and entering the dim values as you draw the rectangle then the f(x) button will not be available. Once you finish entering the dim values by pressing the Enter key you then need to edit the dimensions by double clicking on them to bring up the edit dialog from which you can select the f(x) button to open the EE and edit the dimension name.

edit dim name.gif

IF you are using Realtime dimensions and entering the dim values as you draw the rectangle then the f(x) button will not be available. Once you finish entering the dim values by pressing the Enter key you then need to edit the dimensions by double clicking on them to bring up the edit dialog from which you can select the f(x) button to open the EE and edit the dimension name.

View attachment 38360
Thanks Harold, This does seem faster and also has a better workflow!

Side note: What options do you have turned on to get your dimension to appear right after drawing the rectangle? And also shows the equation names?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Side note: What options do you have turned on to get your dimension to appear right after drawing the rectangle? And also shows the equation names?

To have the dimension fields appear while sketching you need to have Real Time Dimensions turned from the sketch ribbon;

RT Dims.jpg

To have the dimension names visible you need to select the "Show Equations" option from the File Properties/Dimension tab.

show dim names.jpg