What's new

Needed Devlopments in Constraints

Point taken, although I do wonder about the "bears" constraint.:D
Harold -- It is not so much "gears" (though they do play into it) as "relativer rotation" and "screw displacement" that I am arguing for. A "Mating Constraint for Countersunk Fasteners" rated much :higher" on my list.

Kim

I have one issue related to hydraulic cylinders where you have the piston constrained to the cylinder bore but you can not constrain it to not pass throught the end cap or the base. A mate constraint with a floating offset that can not be zero (or pass through zero) would do nicely. You would put one constraint between the piston and the base and another between the piston and the end cap.

I have one issue related to hydraulic cylinders where you have the piston constrained to the cylinder bore but you can not constrain it to not pass throught the end cap or the base. A mate constraint with a floating offset that can not be zero (or pass through zero) would do nicely. You would put one constraint between the piston and the base and another between the piston and the end cap.
A;though this counts as a "work around" rather than a "fix," what I do is to create a Configuration (usually named Retracted) with the piston set to an Equation Editor value (usually named aa_Retracted Offset) such that I can easily control the Retracted position and another Configuration (usually named Extended) with a similar Equation Editor value (usually named aa_Extended_Offset) that can easily control the Exterded position. It is somwhat of a PITA, but it does work.

Max, Jonathan, and/or Brian -- Is there any action inprogress or pemding on improving Constraints? Irrational minds want to know...

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lew, we are launching 2018.1 on Tues/Wed, so we're a bit busy at the moment. But we will be evaluating 2019.0 shortly and will consider this thread in that evaluation. Generally speaking there's nothing I disagree with in this thread.

Hi Lew, we are launching 2018.1 on Tues/Wed, so we're a bit busy at the moment. But we will be evaluating 2019.0 shortly and will consider this thread in that evaluation. Generally speaking there's nothing I disagree with in this thread.
Max -- Building up a richer and more flexible Constraint System is about 75% of making Alibre Design a true world beating CAD system. Let us be very clear on this "front."

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
One alternative to the Width mate, which is sorely needed, is to insert Reference Planes on the parts that you can use to mate to in the assembly.