What's new

Nice article in Desktop Engineering

Bazzer

Bobster

This era of land speed record attempts will be very interesting to watch develop.

I have regulary seen parts of the Bloodhound SSC being manufactured in Southern England in the last year, it really uses current Formula 1 manufacturing techniques (lots of carbon fibre tools and components including the chassis/tub) married to a hybrid propulsion system.

Time will tell who has the correct answer to the problem.

Bazzer

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Haha, not sure about the use of Alibre/Geomagic and its benifits in the project, but I saw an article in an electronic engineering magazine about this project and, believe me, the guy had no clue about structures and electronic installations for something that is going to endure levels of high vibration levels with electronics making split second control decisions! It is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm not being negative, just coming from an aerospace instrumentation background, the guy behind this record attempt scared the c**p out of me!

http://landspeed.com/archive/images/050430/050430j.jpg

Bazzer

Simon

I have just taken a look at the record atempters website and it sure does look scary.

I just hope that he does not get a funding breakthrough and then go and kill himself in this car.

I personally know the guys who built Thrust SSC and they are perfectionists, they actually have no involvement in the Bloodhound project it is a whole new set of contractors.

Bazzer

Bazzer

I just thought that I would add these photo's to the conversation regarding supersonic cars (well car actually as there has only been one)

Scary how the shock waves distort the image in their wake.

Barrie

Attachments

• SSC Shock Wave copy.JPG
    SSC Shock Wave copy.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 963
  • shockwaves-car.jpg
    shockwaves-car.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 35

H-L-Smith

simonb65 said:
Haha, not sure about the use of Alibre/Geomagic and its benifits in the project, but I saw an article in an electronic engineering magazine about this project and, believe me, the guy had no clue about structures and electronic installations for something that is going to endure levels of high vibration levels with electronics making split second control decisions! It is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm not being negative, just coming from an aerospace instrumentation background, the guy behind this record attempt scared the c**p out of me!

http://landspeed.com/archive/images/050430/050430j.jpg

It's certainly an interesting topic (supersonic cars) and it looks like the primary contribution of Geomagic was refining the scanned point cloud of the F104 fuselage into surfaces for their CFD model. From the information I found on the Internet, the group has apparently been at this for 12 years, mostly with volunteer labor and expertise. While the lashed up Netgear router and the breadboard circuit at lower right in your photo certainly don't inspire confidence, it may be an old photo and not what they are using now. It looks like they have had a pretty logical and step-wise development and testing program, generally speaking.

While I have no expertise in land speed efforts, or these obviously very serious supersonic speeds with a ground vehicle, I do have direct exposure to the people and vehicles from SCAT here in Southern California. They form the core of the land speed types running at Bonneville. They are amazingly innovative people.

It looks like the North American Eagle project involves similar types from the Northwest, also experienced at Bonneville, and I wouldn't count them out completely. If they should manage to get anywhere close to the current record with their modified F104 airframe (designed in 1953 by Kelly's Skunk Works, incidentally) that would be quite an accomplishment.

Cheers,

Lonnie

H-L-Smith

Bazzer said:
Quite interesting slide show for techno nuts like me.

http://storify.com/BLOODHOUND_SSC/build ... /slideshow

Excellent slide show! Ribs machined from large billets, carbon fiber everywhere, precise alignment jigs, photos with the Prime Minister, that's all very heady stuff. It looks like an ultra-sophisticated effort, much more like a fighter jet than a ground vehicle. I did see some steel, but it was just a trolly to move things around. :mrgreen:

I hope they have a safe and successful effort.

Cheers,

Bazzer

Hi All

I visited the UK National composites show at the NEC Birmingham on Tuesday and Wednesday, as usual the mock up Bloodhound SSC car was on display along with the Drayson technology electric speed car.

Attachments

• IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8