What's new

Pathetic question about parameters

Sorry to bother you all with this simple question, but I cannot seem to find an answer. In an assembly, I'm using a large number of pieces of stock material: 2 inch x 4 inch lumber. I've got one part: "2 by 4 Lumber.AD_PRT" that shows a 2x4 cross section, with an extrude boss having the depth parameter set to a formula named "Length", While working in the assembly, I would like to be able to insert a new part "2 by 4 Lumber.AD_PRT" and somehow specify the length, that is, specify that I want a 56 inch long 2x4. There will be many other 2x4's in the assembly, and I certainly don't want them all to be 56 inches long., just this new one. The others would stay whatever length I made them.

This is probably a pathetically trivial question. If someone could help me out, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you,
Dave

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Either open the original part and do a save as and edit its length or open the part and add a config that has a set length. Assuming you have configs. (Can't remember off hand if all versions have them now) Then insert the part and select the new config for that prticular one.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Either open the original part and do a save as and edit its length
This is my way of working. I use the 'base' part as a template and create a new part with a specific size from it by editing the parameters. I use this approach for things like electronic connectors or components that are the same but have different pin count. Use if for extruded aluminium profiles too.

Dave -- I admit that my approach has "evolved" over the years (as one who started :doing CAD" in 1971) and, today, the exact approach varies depending on the Project, the Client, the Day of the Week, and (even possibly) the Phase of the Moon. For such things as (say) Rolled Structural Steel, or Extruded Aluminum Shapes I am most likely to perform a Save As into myProject Directory and add the " X YY-ZZ Long" identifier to the end of the Part's Name. [I use the "YY-ZZ" format for "inches long" as I date to the days when a "decimal point" could not be used in a File Name.] The other approach I use is to create Configurations that identify the Length of a given Part.

Neither approach I use makes much use of Equation Editor or Global Parameters variables.

Reactions: JST

BobSchaefer

I use the configurations option and this is the main reason I wanted it. As I spend a lot of time with standard dimensional lumber in designing my furniture and theatrical sets. This way I just save one copy of a 2x4 and use multiple configurations, each specifying a particular length. Now, I agree it would be nice if I could somehow say, I have a profile, when I load it, ask me how long I want it to be and call it [Profile] - [Length] or something to that nature. But, configurations works as a great stand-in. Unfortunately, you have to go with the higher version of the application to get configurations.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
DD and Bob, do you use Wizoscript? I use it for exactly the same thing you are looking for only different. ;)
I use it for Socket Head Cap Screws which is usually my screw of choice. It is a WIP for different types of screws.
When I need different sizes of screws in a project, as long as I have them in the script, I go to Wizoscript, open the size of screw from
a choice list, (2x4 in your example) and it prompts me for a length. I enter the length and it draws the screw, (board) and saves to the
folder of my choice with the part name of my choice. Then I have all of the necessary screws (2x4's) for the project. Just use them in
the assembly.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
DD and Bob, do you use Wizoscript? I use it for exactly the same thing you are looking for only different. ;)
I use it for Socket Head Cap Screws which is usually my screw of choice. It is a WIP for different types of screws.
When I need different sizes of screws in a project, as long as I have them in the script, I go to Wizoscript, open the size of screw from
a choice list, (2x4 in your example) and it prompts me for a length. I enter the length and it draws the screw, (board) and saves to the
folder of my choice with the part name of my choice. Then I have all of the necessary screws (2x4's) for the project. Just use them in
the assembly.
These already exist in libraries. Native Alibre.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
OK Seb, thanks. I'll look into that. I'm also very interested in the "old" BA series of screws also.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I have several metric screw libraries. Not quite sure where they are (some are at work), others on a harddrive my ex took. And Lew has a ton of stuff in Resources.

I have several metric screw libraries. Not quite sure where they are (some are at work), others on a harddrive my ex took. And Lew has a ton of stuff in Resources.
Sebastian -- Whereas it is true that I have created many Fastener Libraries and that most of them are available in Resources, it is also true that there are five different "Standards" for Metric Screwthreads that, each, has different (and sometimes interfering) allowances and tolerances on the tighter fit grades.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I
Sebastian -- Whereas it is true that I have created many Fastener Libraries and that most of them are available in Resources, it is also true that there are five different "Standards" for Metric Screwthreads that, each, has different (and sometimes interfering) allowances and tolerances on the tighter fit grades.
I use the DIN 13 standard for my threads. This is the most common. In fact I have yet to encounter a different one.

I have had to recreate a lot. It tedious... but then work for the greater good often is. I haven't yet uploaded anything to Resources though so if anyone needs metric fasteners or IM stuff just inbox me.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Where do I find the "Native Alibre"?
Also where can I find the Wizoscript for bolts?

Thanks and happy holidays:)
As Lew says, look at his stuff in Resources. Its mainly imperial, I do more metric. And why use Wizoscript for bolts if they are already available?

I

I use the DIN 13 standard for my threads. This is the most common. In fact I have yet to encounter a different one.

I have had to recreate a lot. It tedious... but then work for the greater good often is. I haven't yet uploaded anything to Resources though so if anyone needs metric fasteners or IM stuff just inbox me.
Sebastian -- Living on the west coast of the U.S I see more JIC metric threads than all others. 43% of the time a Grade 6 JIC thread (male or female) will not assemble with a Grade 6 DIN (female or male) thread. I had to create a mathematical model to prove this at Microsft about a decade ago.

Back in the early-1970's I had to install RADOME's across North America and northern Europe (this was long before the "synchronization" of metric screwthreads that took place in 1999) and ended up changing "threaded inserts" multiple times. That still leaves me PO'ed!

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Also where can I find the Wizoscript for bolts?

Goto www.wizotools.com
There you can download WizoScripts. There are a couple of scripts concerning bolts. The scripts are written in the Python programming
language. It is fairly easy to learn if you are familiar with programming languages and don't already know it. I started by just
copying one of the scripts and then modifying the variable names, etc. and a lot of Python help searching.
I'm still just a rank Python novice.

BobSchaefer

I don't use Wizoscript, I do it the old fashioned way of creating the part, and then creating new configurations when I need new lengths. Probably not the easiest method but works consistently for me and I'm used to it.

Bob -- If you take a standard hex headed bolt in standard metric Major Diameter X Length sizing's, there are (usually) 38 "Standard Lengths" for many Major Diameter X Pitch sizing's. Can you think about trying to Activate a specific 1 of 38 Configurations on a regular basis? It is much easier and faster to have Part files named (say) Type of Screw Material of Screw Major Diameter X Pitch X Length -- and then your File Title tells you everything you need to supply such screws.