What's new

Print to 2d PDF - can't scale to fill paper

Stu3d

I want to produce a normal 2d PDF of an assembly.
Microsoft print to PDF results in the assembly too small bottom left of page.
I have installed PDFill which gives me more options. I set scale to 0.70 which brings the assembly up to the correct size to fill the paper but some of it is missing off the bottom of the page. I can't see an option to move or centre the assembly on the page.
Is there another PDF image writer I should try or am I missing the point entirely and should be doing it a totally different way?
I tried a 3d PDF and it was visible in Foxit. I annotated and printed it but only the text printed, not the assembly.
Thanks, Stuart

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Printing from an assembly is little more than a screengrab. There are various issues to contend with, screen workspace aspect ratio vs paper aspect ratio and orientation for one. You might be able to make some improvement by re-arranging your display etc. Some printers offer a 'scale to fit' option that can be really useful, but not all do.

Microsoft Print to PDF has a number of shortcomings, it may work OK with simple stuff, but is not reliable with Alibre.

For maximum control, I'd suggest created a 2D drawing with a shaded view, using a blank sheet template of relevant size - you can set the view scale and position to optimise the print. You can Publish to PDF using the built in PDF writer.

Yes you can do a simple Print from the 3D workspace, but it's much more hit & miss.

3D PDF only works correctly with Acrobat Reader - none of the other PDF readers understand the 3D content.

BlackBird28

3D PDF only works correctly with Acrobat Reader - none of the other PDF readers understand the 3D content.

PDF-X-Change can also open 3D-PDF's.

But Alibre has the Y-Axis upwards and exported 3D-PDF'S have the Z-Axis upwards.

This is really annoying!
Put some option in the Exportfunction to change the Axis-System.

Stu3d

Printing from an assembly is little more than a screengrab. There are various issues to contend with, screen workspace aspect ratio vs paper aspect ratio and orientation for one. You might be able to make some improvement by re-arranging your display etc. Some printers offer a 'scale to fit' option that can be really useful, but not all do.

Microsoft Print to PDF has a number of shortcomings, it may work OK with simple stuff, but is not reliable with Alibre.

For maximum control, I'd suggest created a 2D drawing with a shaded view, using a blank sheet template of relevant size - you can set the view scale and position to optimise the print. You can Publish to PDF using the built in PDF writer.

Yes you can do a simple Print from the 3D workspace, but it's much more hit & miss.

Thank you, virtually everything I have done has been for 3d printing so have done nothing for presentation. I will learn how to produce 2d drawings.