What's new

Problem with shell for a boss

JST

Alibre Super User
I have to put 4 drafted bosses in a part, and shell them for screws that are to connect it to a different part. Shelling keeps the wall thickness same and puts the screw where it needs to be.

I can shell the drafted boss by itself, but it refuses to shell when in the part in any way. Not sure why. I get a "no solution for a vertex" error no matter what I do. No clue where the "vertex" is.

What I REALLY want is the boss to start below the bottom, as shown, but I see that the shell MIGHT get confused going thru the surface.... so I tried other things...

I tried starting it at the far surface of the part, got same error. Started it on the near surface, same error. Started it where the part has it now, same error.

If I do the boss all by itself, I get NO error. So presumably it is the rest of the part, and not the shell process.

I can do it by an extrude cut with draft, but not by a shell. Any reason for it that I am missing here?

Attachments

• bottom mockup part 1.AD_PRT
    448.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Using multiple shell operations in a part is potentially problematic. I've moved your operations around a bit so that only one shell is used - if the approach is useful, you'll have to adjust dimensions as needed and put the fillet back.

JST

Alibre Super User
Georg:

That resulted in only showing one of the four shelled, was that intentional? Also has made the bottom surface disappear in the view.

David J:

Cannot open your part. My version is too old. I am using 2017.1.2, which I thought was current. Is there yet ANOTHER new version?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Whoops - sorry about that - was working on a testing machine, Will repeat with a current version. Give me a few minutes.

Attachments

• bottom mockup part 1 mod.AD_PRT
    387 KB · Views: 6

GeorgD

Hello,

I've made the last Fillet smaller, now everything is visible to me.

Georg

Attachments

• bottom mockup part 1.AD_PRT
    625 KB · Views: 4

JST

Alibre Super User
OK, DavidJ, you did as I did , and used a hole tool to make the feature. And you rearranged the order of events. I did the same thing, but after the shell, worked just as well.

My somewhat non-optimal operations and order of ops, comes from using Alibre as a design tool, modifying the original design to incorporate features as and when they are determined to be needed.

Alibre really is NOT the best design tool, but it does work. One may have to go back and rebuild the part in a more "Alibre-friendly" manner later, if desired. Or, since it may only be the result that matters, one might leave the more clumsy buildup.

Ideally, it would be possible to use the shell tool without having a problem with prior uses. But that is not quite what we have at present.

Georg did what I attempted to do, and it worked. I can add shell operations to the additional bosses in his model without any problem.

I am not sure what is different to allow this.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Shell always applies to the whole part - it is a global function. Applying multiple shell operation to the part will be sensitive to the precise details of geometry, very small differences may make the difference between a shell operation working or failing.