What's new

Project to sketch - maintain association

Stu3d

I have to click 'maintain association' everytime I project to sketch, can't think of an occasion I have chosen to not select it.
Am I missing something?
If not a preferences setting, toggle or making it a persistent choice would be handy.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I don't maintain association if I'm using another part as a template for my new part (i.e. mounting hole locations) once I've got them, I dimension them. That way the parts aren't dependant upon each other going forward but I have a common interface. In some cases you might need to keep that association (especially in an multi-part assembly environment), i.e. a mating flange like on an exhaust manifold. It all depends on what your trying to achieve and your specific use case, but the ability to remember your last selection (not sure if it does from memory!) would be a good thing, especially if you mostly use it one way.

Reactions: JST

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The only time I use maintain association is if I am projecting from a feature on the part I am working on, like to make a circular feature the same size as a previous one.

It would be nice if association was "locked" on when working on a single part and not in an "Edit Here" part workspace of an assembly context. I agree that maintaining association in an assembly can be problematic with all the inter design relations.

KeithH

I have to click 'maintain association' everytime I project to sketch, can't think of an occasion I have chosen to not select it.
Am I missing something?
If not a preferences setting, toggle or making it a persistent choice would be handy.
You don’t have to click the maintain association if it’s not pertinent to your design. But if it is then you will want to.

so let’s say you’ve made something and need to create a sketch on the face of some shaped extrusion you made but you want to be able to reference the lines of the underlying shape? Well then you would at least want to project to sketch and at the least choose the “make reference lines” choice (I’m not in front of the computer I’m sorry). This will bring everything to the current sketch. And all center points of circles and all that.

If you think your design requires “this sketch” your working on to rely on the underlying sketch, then that’s when you want to check the box for “maintain association”

I know fusion360 bring those things in automatically but it can cause problems even within fusion for more technical things. (Simple designs not so much) I’m just an idiot learning Alibre here off a college textbook for solidworks and even that program is same way as Alibre Design.Some things that make it easy in lower programs hamper technical designs.

so I wish you the best learning. I am too.

Edit Ps. I I’m on the other side from the people smarter than me. I was taught to always click the maintain association if needed so I just do it if I’m building on top of another etc. it’s just one click. But as you can see, people have their own workflow. I highly doubt anyone is absolutely right. It’s what works for you on the design or sketch your working on at that moment

Last edited:

OrjanB

I totally agree with stu3d. I always activate project to sketch and maintain association.

When I use project to sketch it is for transferring geometry from a part to a new sketch, and if that part is changed I want the new sketch to follow the change.
The best solution in my opinion would be to have project to sketch activated as default, and then be able to take action/toggle if not wanted.

Speaking about default:
When I start working on a new part the default setting is Perspective view. I always design in Orthographic view, so the first I do is to change the view. Not a big issue, but is it possible to set Orthographic as default?

Orjan

Last edited:

KeithH

I totally agree with stu3d. I always activate project to sketch.

When I use project to sketch it is for transferring geometry from a part to a new sketch, and if that part is changed I want the new sketch to follow the change.
The best solution in my opinion would be to have project to sketch activated as default, and then be able to take action/toggle if not wanted.

Speaking about default:
When I start working on a new part the default setting is Perspective view. I always design in Orthographic view, so the first I do is to change the view. Not a big issue, but is it possible to set Orthographic as default?

Orjan
I pretty much always project to sketch. But I can think of many instances where it could be a problem if set by default. But if the user is always work in a certain way that it’s not an issue then it would make like easier if the person could toggle it in maybe by the ribbon menu? (Kind have a feeling this won’t happen. If it does great but solid works doesn’t have this feature. Probably cause it’s too easy to forget about it and mess up a design if the user doesn’t control it

KeithH

Let’s not kid ourselves . Fusion369 does everything an amerature wants by default every line projects center of circle etc. and serious stuff they can do it cause they can’t turn it off.
So by default no it shouldn’t be but I’ve talked with support things that take a very long time are second in that program . But on the other both things that matter can’t be done in that other program . I think the idea of turning on the project to sketc and maybe the user setting whether they want maintain association or not could be a game changer. You’d have the best of both worlds. Cause all these fusion360 people coming here thinking it’s taking 5 times as long do do anything and that could be fixed (hate to say it but that program does simple stuff multitudes faster than alibre or solid works. Yes fusion360 can do what alibre or solid works can but why nit make a user shooed to change it.. I get it it’s hard to code but if it’s possible to code it then that’s something no other program has

Mai either way either as it stands now. You either have easy stuff with now hope of big convoluted parts or you have the opposite. But if you could adjust those from the menu. . Peace

Last edited:

sz0k30

Weighing in...

We're talking about a mouse click here. A single mouse click. Can we maybe forego this 'fix' for the time being in favour of getting AD actually working properly and reliably.

I agree 100%. Lately we seem to be getting into: "I like it this way vs I like it that way" way too often. Instead of dealing with real problems.

sbeamers

Fusion's way of keeping the association is a bit of a hassle but I do agree a toggle would be cool with the default off.

JST

Alibre Super User
Weighing in...

We're talking about a mouse click here. A single mouse click. Can we maybe forego this 'fix' for the time being in favour of getting AD actually working properly and reliably.

Agree for this.

I DO think "a mouse click" can be a problem when it is something extra on a very commonly used command like constraints, etc. On those, extra "monkey motion" clicks add up over the day and become an issue. That is especially true if the click also requires mousing over to the opposite side of the screen before the click. There are several of those in Alibre now, which have been pointed out, but any change has been flatly rejected.

When it is less often used things, or if the item to be clicked is located right with the other things you need to do anyway, that is a lot less of a hassle. I would say not an issue.

The rule EVERY PROGRAMMER SHOULD USE is that "using a computer is supposed to make the job easier".

Some ways of forcing the user to make added selections, or selections in clumsy ways, are clear violations of that rule. Others are just a preference, as with this. Especially since using those links tends to slow Alibre and cause problems overall. I avoid that linkage like the plague.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
On those, extra "monkey motion" clicks add up over the day and become an issue.
And just how many other "monkey motion" mouse moves do you make during the day that produce nothing. I know that I make dozens of them, so I am not too worried about one click.

JST

Alibre Super User
Eh, whatever floats your watch.

At least my own actions I have control over. Enforced cross-screen mouse moves plus extra clicks get old after a few. Extra clicks, especially repeated extra clicks, such as the bogus errors in certain sequences such as getting to an "offset...free" constraint, really get to be an annoyance, and they add no value at all, for anyone.

For seldom-used commands, not an issue, and in the particular case proposed by the OP, the default to create the association would be worse than a few extra clicks.

My point is not necessarily any specific case, but that when a sequence is used a lot, such as constraints, it should be made to use the minimum number of clicks and movements, both for the normal flow, and for abnormal flows due to errors etc. That only makes sense... it is just a way of making the user's time and effort more efficient.

I know how much most folks here hate like h*** seeing the comment about "computers should make the job easier", but it is still true despite being unpopular on this forum.

OrjanB

I find this dicussion concerning «just an extra click» interesting.
Obvious choices should be default and not need extra clicks, and as said earlier in this thread, the «maintain association» in project to sketch is in this category (my opinion).

Another example:
In a drawing I have to activate «Insert cosmetic thread».
What is the purpose of threads if it is not shown in the drawing?
Cosmetic threads should be default.

Example of waste of clicks:
When I look for a specific part I open files and a list of all the Alibre files in the folder appears. I then choose filter for parts. Often the part opened is not the wanted, and the process is repeted with new filtering until the wanted part occurs. I would like Alibre to remember the last filetype and thus save clicks and time.

Orjan

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Orjan,

Another example:
In a drawing I have to activate «Insert cosmetic thread».
What is the purpose of threads if it is not shown in the drawing?
Cosmetic threads should be defaut.

Please check your 2D Drawing template(s):

Cosmetic-Threads-1.png

And this settings:

Cosmetic-Threads-2.png

OrjanB

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for info - I thought these options were activated in my system.

Anyway: Could this be an example of too many choices in Alibre?
As I said: What is the purpose of threads if it is not shown in the drawing?

Regards
Orjan

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Orjan,

These options are in your 2D Drawing template(s) not in your "system", please check again.
Be happy :) with Alibre Design you have the option to create your customized 2D Drawing templates.
For example, in Germany since 2004: EN ISO 7200

Btw.:
Cosmetic threads in 2D Drawings of 3D Parts are useful or a standard, but not in (all) 2D Drawings of 3D Assemblies.
(Following the respective norm of the drawing/drafting standard you use.)

This means at least 2 different 2D Drawing templates for all of the sheet sizes used.
My recommendation, create all your own/customized 2D Drawing templates and save them in their own folder, locally on your hard drive.;)

Last edited: