What's new

Project to sketch - maintain association

Stu3d

Fascinating reading all your comments, thank you, I hope one day I become knowledgeable enough to usefully contribute to this forum. Workflows seem to differ a lot, I guess due to what people are designing and complexity.
Speaking of complexity every single entry of the recent favourite design contest blew my mind and has inspired me to start dabbling with assemblies and Keyshot after 5 years of using Alibre :oops:
I thought maintaining associations, as well as using more features rather than complicated sketches, were fundemental to parametric modelling.
I come from a predominently architectural 2d cad drawing background (since mid 80s) so giving up complicated sketches wasn't easy but being able to quickly alter the simple practical parts I produce for 3d printing is amazing, especially after Tinkercad, Openscad and Sketchup!

KeithH

Fascinating reading all your comments, thank you, I hope one day I become knowledgeable enough to usefully contribute to this forum. Workflows seem to differ a lot, I guess due to what people are designing and complexity.
Speaking of complexity every single entry of the recent favourite design contest blew my mind and has inspired me to start dabbling with assemblies and Keyshot after 5 years of using Alibre :oops:
I thought maintaining associations, as well as using more features rather than complicated sketches, were fundemental to parametric modelling.
I come from a predominently architectural 2d cad drawing background (since mid 80s) so giving up complicated sketches wasn't easy but being able to quickly alter the simple practical parts I produce for 3d printing is amazing, especially after Tinkercad, Openscad and Sketchup!
@Stu3d I thought all the entries were amazing also. Better than I could do for sure.

everyone can contribute here. Some people are super smart, some are learning like me. Maybe you think you know the answer to a question or just can guide someone in the right direction to a person asking a question and your response “clicks” with them and they get it and helps with them, but someone else’s answer doesn’t help them. You never know. Everyone’s voice is important. Heck you might be 90 percent right on and someone else come around and add something and we all learn something. Or maybe just how you described your answer helps someone else understand their question who may just be a silent reader following the thread one day. And no one else could (bunch of us learning here so everyone’s help is appreciated)

We can all help each other. Have fun

ps I always wanted a 3D printer. A 3D printer and carbide router on my wishlist. Which 3D printer do u have? There’s so many I’m not sure which to choose

Last edited:

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I always maintain association. The reasons not to have been explained to me in the past and I just don't understand why you would not. For the type of work that I do, I will ALWAYS have to choose that with current system. The times that I forgot to click that, results in a lot of extra "monkey motion" as it was called above.

Stu3d

@Stu3d I thought all the entries were amazing also. Better than I could do for sure.

everyone can contribute here. Some people are super smart, some are learning like me. Maybe you think you know the answer to a question or just can guide someone in the right direction to a person asking a question and your response “clicks” with them and they get it and helps with them, but someone else’s answer doesn’t help them. You never know. Everyone’s voice is important. Heck you might be 90 percent right on and someone else come around and add something and we all learn something. Or maybe just how you described your answer helps someone else understand their question who may just be a silent reader following the thread one day. And no one else could (bunch of us learning here so everyone’s help is appreciated)

We can all help each other. Have fun

ps I always wanted a 3D printer. A 3D printer and carbide router on my wishlist. Which 3D printer do u have? There’s so many I’m not sure which to choose
3d printer depends on budget. I have gone with cheap open source clones which require an enthusiast approach, not very plug and play. Mine are Wanhao D4X, £550, great first pinter but small print size. Wanhao D5S, £1500, biggest waste of money for me, large print size but I don't get on with bowden extruder (filament pushed from a distance along a tube, I prefer direct drive extruder where filament is pulled). Copymaster 500, £400 used off ebay, print size 500x500x500mm and Copymaster 300, £200 new, 300x300x400mm. Both Copymasters serving me well but required modifying & tuning to get working well, my mods are on Thingiverse.
If you are prepared to spend some time learning, modding etc get Ender 3 V2 or Prusa clone as there is tons of info on forums, Youtube etc and with a little effort the prints are as good as much more expensive brands. The Ender 3 V2 seems to be everybodies favourite at the moment, only slightly off putting thing for me is it has a (short) bowden tube.
If printing on glass I use 3dlac spray to stick the print down, heated bed temperature 50C. My choice of slicer is Simplify3D but there are excellent free ones out there, Cura popular. PLA filament easy to print with but glass temperature fairly low, don't print a mug for your tea!