What's new

Project to Sketch Usage

How do you most often use Project to Sketch?

• Sketch figure maintain association

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Sketch figure don't maintain association

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Reference figure maintain association

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Reference figure don't maintain association

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Generally I use Project to sketch from the In Place edit menu to project complete sketches as Reference figures then overlay Sketch figures on top for features that utilize part of the sketch profile. If I need only one element of a sketch I will use the P2S tool from the ribbon then select only that part of the sketch I need for the feature I am working on, like the ID of a hole used on a larger OD extrusion.

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Generally I use Project to sketch from the In Place edit menu to project complete sketches as Reference figures then overlay Sketch figures on top for features that utilize part of the sketch profile. If I need only one element of a sketch I will use the P2J tool from the ribbon then select only that part of the sketch I need for the feature I am working on, like the ID of a hole used on a larger OD extrusion.

What is the P2J tool?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
It's roughly a 50/50 split for me.

Sketch figure maintain association - when using a master layout sketch workflow

Reference figure maintain association - when building off an existing sketch workflow

In-Place edit menu for general use inside an existing sketch

I use both p2s figure and reference always with associativity. I find full parametric relations a great bonus in design iterations where design, build and test may go through many cycles,

MichaeeeL

Project to sketch with reference figure is the most used to me. It should be reduced if new features becomes new references!

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Figures can be easily converted to either so I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I would rather not have a dialog at all and simply change it myself in the sketch. Modal dialogs are very outdated and slow for any user who uses it n + 1 times.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Could someone who picked one of the "don't maintain association" options explain why you use it? Because you terrify me.
When I want to test different sizes or configurations, I don't maintain association so that a sketch won't change when I change configurations or parameters. Then I delete the sketch.

When using a master/layout sketch and I want to use entities but change them in the process and I don't want anything to update with topology changes.

For some profiles it's easier to project and don't maintain association and modify them, than to draw from scratch.

In general I use it as a way to either hold a shape and size (make a sketch not parametric or not update) or use it to build up a new sketch from existing topology.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Here's an example where the bad posts were projected as figures without maintaining association. I then moved the posts to their positions in the field. The post profile can be of any shape in this case, they are circles. The grey posts is the fabricated condition, the red posts represent the affected posts, and the smaller sized posts is the as-built condition.

1708053690722.png
It's faster to project and move existing sketch figures than to redraw.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
When working in an assembly, when I want to project geometry from one part onto another without creating an inter design relation.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Could someone who picked one of the "don't maintain association" options explain why you use it? Because you terrify me.
I want all my parts to be in themselves fully defined.
I do project to get existing geometry, but that is then defined so that each part is independent of the others.

I want all my parts to be in themselves fully defined.
I do project to get existing geometry, but that is then defined so that each part is independent of the others.

When working in an assembly, when I want to project geometry from one part onto another without creating an inter design relation.
Ah, that makes sense. I was afraid some of you out there were adrenaline junkies living on the edge with undefined sketches.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Ah, that makes sense. I was afraid some of you out there were adrenaline junkies living on the edge with undefined sketches.
You can always defined sketches at some point. I often don't have all the information to lock in dimensions or parameters and will fully constrain later. But it doesn't hurt to have undefined sketches. I lock the figures if I'm concerned something will be moved accidentally.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
When building models like this I don't fully defined all the sketches when I make them. I fully constrain them as I complete it:
index.php

The parameters can be hard to get right so I work through the sketches and parameters making sure the configurations work before I make assemblies.
1708103214073.png