What's new

Project to Sketch

JerryB

I'm not sure when it is appropriate to project to sketch. It seems that every time I create a new sketch on an existing surface that I cannot snap to a point on that surface unless I first project to sketch. Is that expected, or am I missing something?

Also, is there a way to go back and turn on "maintain alignment to the original object" once the projection has been completed?

Solution
I'm coming from Fusion 360 to Alibre. In Fusion, I can sketch directly on any flat surface and have access to all the geometry to use for reference. Doing so maintains alignment to the original surface. I only project when I need access in the sketch to existing geometry which is not on the same plane. So I'm wondering if I really need to project in all cases, or maybe I missed something in the videos?

Projecting to sketch every time you need to reference existing geometry in a new sketch seems like an inefficient work flow for such a common task (a click to project, another to select reference geometry, another to maintain alignment, and another to execute). While this gets the job done, it has me thinking I must be doing...

JerryB

So I might have gone with Expert is f only considering the one time up front cost. But the annual maintenance also goes up, and that runs indefinitely. Okay, I'm 71 so that may not be a long time, but one can hope. Right?

I'm not sure of the value of the maintenance contract. Once I have a feature set that meets my needs, perhaps upgrading isn't needed. But what about the support side? Maybe this forum is all id need??

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Maintenance is optional. Without it you will still get support from Alibre (and this forum) but I think users with current maintenance get priority. Additionally it gets you any major version update released while you are on maintenance. However I'm a little disappointed with how often we get new releases as I thought there was talk about them occurring more frequently with smaller changes.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
However I'm a little disappointed with how often we get new releases as I thought there was talk about them occurring more frequently with smaller changes.
I do seem to recall there being quite a discussion about release cycles so after a quick search I found this post from 2019. I understand if large/complicated updates take a bit longer but it may be worth @Max providing an update if something has changed.

JimCad

I just looked at the features and price then decided to go for the full version. (Risky if Mrs. Jim finds out) but as I was doing a bit of freelance work I got the tax man to pay. :)
I turned 70 last week and still doing a bit. In fact I got a call whilst in Tenerife last week. I have to model up a part and then 3D print it for them. It's very interesting work and I get paid for it.
They even allow me to take my dog in with me. I don't like to leave her on her own for more than an hour so that works very well. They have Solid Works & a Creality K1 3D printer but but no CAD person.
I use Alibre. I can't be bothered to learn SW as well.
Jim