What's new

Question about a SWEEP error 'WIRE_X_AXIS: Wire Intersects Axis'

Garryp4

I attached two almost identical drawings. One has an error with a sweep and the other does not. The only difference is the location and size of the circle Sketch To Sweep. I also tried a different plane so the circle is centered on the Path. I'm just a bit confused.

Thanks

Attachments

• BASE TEST DOESNT WORK.AD_PRT
    448 KB · Views: 3
  • Pro Thermal Battery Box BASE TEST.AD_PRT
    521 KB · Views: 3
  • BASE TEST ALSO DOESNT WORK.AD_PRT
    470 KB · Views: 0

Garryp4

I attached the wrong file for the third one. This is the correct one with the new plane.

Attachments

• BASE TEST ALSO DOESNT WORK.AD_PRT
    473 KB · Views: 1

Garryp4

So, I figured it out. I was trying to Sweep the shape around to tight of a radius. Once the radius is .05" vs .03" it worked fine.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
When doing a sweep, the sweep profile doesn't have to be centered on the sweep path.

In some cases, if the sweep profile has some extension on the inside of the curve, it will need to go around a turn with a radius tight enough that the inside portion of the profile creates a path radius less than 0, as in a negative radius, it will throw an error. Picture walking while carrying a long post over your shoulders. When you turn to the left, the portion of the post on the left side has to move backwards to accommodate the turn. Sorry, I may not be articulating this very well. Sometimes what makes sense in my head comes out as gibberish.

Another way to explain, picture the sweep profile traveling along the sweep path. When it makes a left turn, if the radius of the turn is so tight that the portion of the profile on the inside of the turn has to move backwards, it will throw this error.

One way to avoid it is to create your sweep path on the inside edge of the sweep profile. This way, there is never any portion of the sweep profile that self intersects along the path. Kinda like this:
1700705589925.png

Attachments

• BASE TEST WORKS NOW.AD_PRT
    527.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The way I've heard it explained is to compare it to bending a hose along a path. If a curve is smaller than the hose diameter it will kink. So it is better to use a path with curves larger than the hose (profile) diameter or place the path so it allows the hose (profile) to sweep without kinking.

Joseph_L

Administrator
Staff member
The way I've heard it explained is to compare it to bending a hose along a path. If a curve is smaller than the hose diameter it will kink. So it is better to use a path with curves larger than the hose (profile) diameter or place the path so it allows the hose (profile) to sweep without kinking.
I have to remember these- they are great!