What's new

Question about Behavior of Multiple Instances of an Assembly

Hi,

I have an Assembly (A) made up of several Sub-Assemblies (a1, a2, a3), and constrained in such a way that it behaves properly when moving Parts around. I intend to use multiple instances of Assembly A as Sub-Assemblies of a larger Assembly (B). Each Assembly A is constrained to a base in Assembly B so that the outer part of Assembly A doesn't move, but the internals still can. My first attempt was to create multiple instances of Assembly A using a Pattern. However, when I moved one instance of Assembly A, all of them moved. Instead, I decided to manually insert each one so that they are not related through a Pattern. However, the internals of the Assembly A instances still all move when I move one of them. It seems that they are not the independent instances that I was expecting. Is this expected behaviour? If so, is there a way to break this association so that they are truly independent instances?

Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited:
As a follow-up, I appear to have found a solution. Rather than inserting multiple instances of the same Assembly into a design, I've saved multiple copies of that Assembly, created by "save as" from within Alibre Design (rather than copy-and-paste from the Windows system). I seem to remember reading something about this somewhere a little while ago. Anyway, I'm now able to move the components independently of each other. In the end, it makes sense.