What's new

Quirks?

Acara

I'll start this out by saying that I am used to programs like SOLIDWORKS and Inventor so I may be spoiled a bit. Using version 21, I'm attempting to sketch but notice that for everything I do, I have to be dead on where I want to click for anything. This includes constraints, sketches (dimensions, lines, etc.), and even weldments. Is there anything I can do about that to help out within the settings?

Also, why is it that I can't click to constrain off of a mid point for a line or shape even when selecting a line made by using a previous profile and keeping the relation? To get around this I try to use a node point but it's about a 50/50 on whether it'll work.

Just some different things I've noticed while using the software.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yeah, your using a version that I think predates the "grip" setting. In older versions the hot zone for picking anything was, I think, one pixel. We now have adjustable setting to make it a lot easier to select while in sketch mode.

This is the setting now in System Options>Parts/Assemblies>Sketching

1648610834649.png

Acara

I actually have up to version 24 but reverted so my friend could work with me through design and drafting. I also am curious @HaroldL as to why when I draw a center rectangle on the origin point that once fully defined (drawing it on the origin point mind you to center it) that it still requires me to make dimensions for the sides off the origin.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yeah, it's actually dimensioning the rectangle from the center point of the rectangle and that makes no sense to me. You'll need to ask Alibre Support why that is. That's something that I have put in a suggestion that they change. Rectangles should be dimensioned for full length and full width. I just ignore the realtime dimensions for the center rectangle and apply length and width after placing it.

You still need to apply a horizontal or vertical constraint to one of the lines to fully constrain it. I've been told that the reason that the rectangle is not constrained horizontal or vertical is so you can rotate it after creating it, if you want.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Personally I find Solidworks very quirky, with all kinds of things that don't work as I think they should.
It is just what you are used to and the workflows you in the meantime unconsciously use that you know work.
Give AD some time.
I find it quick and simple to use, even if there are quirks as in every program.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I'm getting used to putting /2 after full size dimensions when using centre rectangles, but you're right, that should happen automatically in the background.

I'm a little bummed that I never thought of that myself. Such a simple solution to a minor, nagging annoyance. I'll be doing it from now on though.

Thanks for posting that.

Acara

Also why is it that you can't constrain a line in a sketch to the center point of the other line? Say for example that you want to constrain a line perpendicularly to the midpoint, there is no way to click on it that I can find without trying to make a node. I think this part is the most annoying for me. Between this and planes inside assemblies anyway.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Say for example that you want to constrain a line perpendicularly to the midpoint, there is no way to click on it that I can find without trying to make a node.
I agree that would be a very beneficial enhancement to make the midpoint constraint automatically insert a node if two lines are picked.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Also why is it that you can't constrain a line in a sketch to the center point of the other line?
You can't?

1648809568117.png

Select one line:
1648809616053.png select the end point of the other line :1648809686357.png

and voila:

1648809726756.png

and if you want to set also a perpendicular constraint...

1648809854434.png

Regards
Stefan

Acara

You can't?

View attachment 35729

Select one line:
View attachment 35730 select the end point of the other line :View attachment 35732

and voila:

View attachment 35733

and if you want to set also a perpendicular constraint...

View attachment 35735

Regards
Stefan
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THIS!!!!! I've been sitting here manually having to do all of this stuff haha! I bought this due to the price of SOLIDWORKS and for the most part it's very usable. It is just setup a little differently. I do love this software for being able to own the license like myself and my partner do. Even the annual maintenance is insanely reasonable.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
For the record, I thought you were asking for the two lines to have both their midpoints constrained together like for example an X or + which currently you must insert a node and then midpoint constrain each line to the node.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Just to be clear this is what I understood that Albie said:
Thats what i understood too and also doing whenever i use the centered rectangle.
Mostly i know the width and height of my rectangle...for the halfs of that, i had do calculate... so why shouldn't alibre do the math :)

Regards
Stefan