What's new

Random surface appearance

mrehmus

Random surface appearance

Even when I don't do anything 'funny' to a model, the surface finish appears to not be even but to look like it has 'crystalized.' If I do something to a Assembly like a Boolean action, the surface of the parts I have colored or parts I do color, display a changing random mix of gray and the color on the surface of the part. Again in a sort of crystalized motif.

This is carried over to the PhotoRender package where sometimes I can kill the ugly but sometimes not and the surface frequently has alternating patterns of gray and color.

I don't know if this is a bug or I've got a hardware or software compatibility problem.

Asus P4C800E-Deluxe, P4 3.2 HT processor, 2 gigs of DDR400 memory, Radeon 9600 with 128 megs of memory, 2 displays, SynMaster 214T running at 1200 by 1600 and another running at 1024 by 768 (which I use for menus, directories and the Repository. 1 terrabyte of fast rotating memory. XP Pro SP1

siggy

Mike - I've experienced the same thing you're describing before. In every case what has happened is that somehow I ended up with *two* copies of the same part occupying the same space - check your design explorer closely to see if this is the case. Make sure you haven't created a sub-assembly with the same part that you manually placed in the top level assembly, etc. If you have created a BOM for the assembly, you may be also be able to spot a duplicate part quickly by looking for abnormal qty's. Also note that I believe one of the options available when doing a boolean is to place the result in the original assembly file (or something to that effect). This will cause those duplicate parts too.

When this happens, you end up changing the color of one of the parts and the other remains its default grey color. When the rendering engine tries to sort out the reflections, surface finish, etc it renders portions of the solid based on instance A of the part and other portions based on instance B of the part - hence the random "Crystal" appearance in the assembly and PhotoRender.

If I'm guessing right, your problems will go away when you find and eliminate the duplicate.