What's new

Script debate - (moved from v22 preview)

GIOV

Alibre Super User
I've done an update functionality in the CoG script were the point gets updateted when you run the script again. It is possible with this script too, i only made it quickly for the context of wazzu83
Ok.
a "automatic handshake" between Alibre and other Programms is not on my list...
Must be because my use of the cubic spline function is frequent to generate complex shapes that can vary dynamically based on your potential script. It can also be applied in the field of robotics.
I will look to take some time to extend the script, don't know exactly when...
Thanks but Now!
Regards,
Giovanni

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Hi Jason -- What you (and most of the rest of us) need is (A) a detailed and well written manual and (B) a good set of training videos to lead us through this jungle! -- Lew

Here is a basic video:
https://www.alibre.com/alibre-script/

Here is a interface detail and tutorial.
https://www.alibre.com/AlibreDownloads/Alibre_Script_Exercise_Manual.pdf

There are also the Quick Start Manual the Reference/Documentaion and the Examples linked from the Alibre Script tab or menu.
upload_2020-7-30_12-58-14.png

Can anyone explain what trips them up so Alibre knows what to improve?

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Can anyone explain what trips them up so Alibre knows what to improve?
Nate, May you do a team with Stefan to do my task! I remember in the University we do a team study and give a big achievement because no ones have the same skill.
I will look to take some time to extend the script, don't know exactly when...
It will be big achievement.
https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/i...able_to_3dpoints_forum_v01.21898/#post-143574
AD will be better.
Regards,
Giovanni

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello colleagues,

for those who want to take a look into the scripts which are provided for download as a *.py file here in the forum:

upload_2020-7-30_20-20-10.png

If the scripts are provided as a protected script (*.pyp) to can use the same place to store them, but to start them afterwards,
you have to use the button "Run Protected" from the menu.

Regards
Stefan

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Nate, May you do a team with Stefan to do my task! I remember in the University we do a team study and give a big achievement because no ones have the same skill.

It will be big achievement.
https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/i...able_to_3dpoints_forum_v01.21898/#post-143574
AD will be better.
Regards,
Giovanni
Alibre Scripts currently has no ability to automatically start a script when a part/assembly is opened. I think we would need this ability to do what you ask for.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Alibre Scripts currently has no ability to automatically start a script when a part/assembly is opened. I think we would need this ability to do what you ask for.
Thanks Nate,
Yes, Your efforts will be valuable for AD users.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
From Mika's simple question this post certainly took off.
Thinking back on some of the CAD programs I've used it seems that they all had some kind of "macro" function; AutoCAD had LISP, I-DEAS had a C based macro language and SolidWorks uses Visual Basic for its macros. I didn't write any LISP routines for AutoCAD but did use a few of them. For I-DEAS I wrote several macros that were mainly for 2d drawings of sheet metal enclosures and components. I spent several weeks learning how to program those macros. I had intentions to write some VB macros for SolidWorks but that didn't fit into my time. Besides, we had a couple of young engineers that were exceptional VB programmers and created several time saving macros before I left.

The future of AD can't be to use a script for everything. Let's see some development in the software.
I'll have to agree with seb on this. To my mind macros or scripts should be used for the functions that are unique to your application and needs. Functions that are simple enough to write a script but would take a lot of time to code/test/trouble shoot, repeat. I would certainly like to see scripting added to sheet metal too.

And BTW, how many of the script requests have been created? Is anyone keeping track of them? Just curious.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Harold,
And BTW, how many of the script requests have been created? Is anyone keeping track of them? Just curious.
I've taken a look into the tread and saw that some wishes had been translated into scripts, but ofcourse not all of them...
If there is really someone who is keeping track of...maybe the Thread originator ;)
An answer special to your last request: I've ansered to this before you asked for it :) Take a look at this Post.The state is regrettably the same, no Script or API function to create a Helix easily:(. There is a official function for modifying or delete one, but not somthing like AddHelixCut or AddHelixBoss(It must be there anywhere, but is it not made "Public"(for programming access)). If it gets added, i will create a basic script for threaded bolds...;)
And the last point is possibly the most valuable for the scripts: If a wish is possible to be fullfilled with a script, you maybe don't have to wait for the next Alibre Update...;)

Regards
Stefan

sz0k30

how do you define the difference between "software" and "script"?

In the 3D CAD world, to me software is the internal programming of Alibre or any other system that allows me to be a designer. Script is external add on programming that requires me to be a programmer.

And "You only have to get used to it". No I don't. I didn't have to when I used: Cadam, Catia or Unigraphics.

idslk

Alibre Super User
No I don't. I didn't have to when I used: Cadam, Catia or Unigraphics.
Chapeau, you must have been a rich man...
From my side of view both of them
"software" and "script"
are programmed.
The second one gives me the possibility to automate boring tasks and add some "functionality for low money".
But yes, it is also a way to draw with pencil and paper if you want to...:)(it's the thing i do before i start any work on CAD today and maybe also tomorrow)

Regards
Stefan

simonb65

Alibre Super User
From my side of view both of them
are programmed.
The second one gives me the possibility to automate boring tasks and add some "functionality for low money".
The difference is that one is done by professional programmers who we pay to implement 'stuff' through licensing and maintenance, the other is something we have to do in our own time, IF the user has the skills, if not it's yet another investment of time and resources to learn. There is no dispute in the power of scripting, it's just not in the skill-set of every user! Some of us are lucky that it is, don't force it on everyone.
BTW: This conversation has been moved to another thread once! to de-clutter the V21 Preview thread.
I've used Siemens NX and never needed to use scripts because it was feature rich (and no I didn't personally buy it, it was my previous employers CAD platform).

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Simon,

as moved from the other thread (V22 Preview)...
On my daily job in the automotive industry of course one the "big cad systems" is used and if you believe it or not, we also use inhouse made "scripts" to fulfill our needs...;) and it's no matter of money.

Regards
Stefan

GIOV

Alibre Super User
And the last point is possibly the most valuable for the scripts: If a wish is possible to be fullfilled with a script, you maybe don't have to wait for the next Alibre Update...;)
Stefan: Thousand of Static Script for static things like create parts assembles and reference points but the new big step is to do the Dynamic Script that are able to modify Parts, assembles and reference points faster. That's what I'm looking for.
Regards,
Giovanni

Edited

idslk

Alibre Super User
Dynamic Script
Hello Giovanni,

maybe my brain is to limited, but i can't evolve what "dynamic" means to you. May you can explain it to me? Is it, that you want not to push a button?

Regards
Stefan

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi Stefan,
No, you brain is well and is in the way of the task. Remember when we talk about the connection between one spreadsheet an the parts:
https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/i...egrated-spreadsheets.21256/page-3#post-137555
You do a very good because yo give a reference point to a sketches of the parts and assembles too like Alibre points (It wasn't able to do ref. Points to assembles). just now like the ability of modify the the points of the base spreadsheet and inmediately update the parts sketch, or assembles reference points without pass trough the equation editor or GP(Variable).
That is the term "Dynamic Script" for me.
From Nate I understand is not now feasible...but you never know.!
I hope your understand my idea.
Thanks very much for your interest and hope you keep this task as your study priority.
GIOV

Last edited:

GIOV

Alibre Super User
It's like:
=if(A3*=A3,A3,A3*). So instead of copy, replace the existing point for the new one and keep the link with the sketch curve.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Giovanni,

a little video...
You will see an open table in a spreadsheet, AlibreDesign with the script (Run as Protected) (modified to a fixed filename) and some points.
Steps are:
- Calcultate random values in the spreadsheet,
- Save the spreadsheet (to the location which is fixed in the script)
- Click on the autorun script
The defined points move to the newly calculated coordinates

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Table_to_3DPoints_demo.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 4