What's new

Sheet metal tutorials

steveastro

Are there any decent tutorials on using the Sheet metal tools ? I have a part with a long edge (say 150mm) from which I need to have two narrower flanges, say 25mm long each, one 20mm from one end of the long edge, the other 60mm from the same edge.

Every time I have made a flange and then tried to edit the sketch for it, I get only one of the two flanges I want appearing in the folded part.

Where am I going wrong ? Am I using the wrong workflow ?

Steve

Are there any decent tutorials on using the Sheet metal tools ? I have a part with a long edge (say 150mm) from which I need to have two narrower flanges, say 25mm long each, one 20mm from one end of the long edge, the other 60mm from the same edge.

Every time I have made a flange and then tried to edit the sketch for it, I get only one of the two flanges I want appearing in the folded part.

Where am I going wrong ? Am I using the wrong workflow ?
Hi Steve -- The Sheetmetal Tutorials assume a level of "terminology" that rarely (in my experience) agrees with "traditional sheetmetal forming" terminology. [Take a look at the "troubles" that Mareike has gone through as a basis for my statement.] I am located in the Pacific Dyalight Time zone (aka GMT-7) and have a GoToMeeting account should you wish a "screen to screen" attempt at helping out ( my e-mail is tangent@olympus.net should you wish ti suggest a time & date for such a "meet"). -- Lew

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
The easiest solution is to break the long edge with small cuts (or by editing the sketch) to make it into multiple edges and then do two flames.

Alternatively do one flange at a time and set the offsets in the dialog to place space them.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Sometimes its better to have a sample in hand to view and understand the "How to". Here is an example part to show how to make your flanges like Nate mentioned.

As shown in the image, Flange<2> and Flange <3> are created by using the Width Offset settings. The two flanges made by Cut<6> take a few more steps but gives you the practice of using Unbend and Rebend to unbend, cut and rebend a flange.

Sheet Metal Flange Examples.png

Attachments

• Sheet Metal Flange Examples.AD_SMP
    472 KB · Views: 8

steveastro

Harold, I didn't realise unbend was as useful as you show it !
Lew, thanks, I'll play with Harold's files and see if that fixes my current issue.

Steve