What's new

Sketch Insert Axis bugs

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Alibre Design Version: 2017.1.2 64-bit [Build 18701]

I'd be grateful if someone could verify the following:

Bug 1
Create a profile in a Sketch on Plane XY
Insert a Sketch Node in a Sketch on Plane ZY , outside the above profile.
Sketch Insert Axis and select the Node above.
Without closing the Sketch initiate a Revolve Boss and select the axis that you have just created.

For me, OK is greyed out in the Revolve Boss dialogue box.

Bug 2
Open another Sketch on Plane XY and draw a Line outside the above profile.
Sketch Insert Axis and select the Line above.
Without closing the Sketch initiate a Revolve Boss and select the axis that you have just created.

For me, OK is not greyed out but there is no preview and the Feature will fail.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Can't verify. They're not bugs.

Insert your Axes and Planes before the sketch of interest. If the dogbone is above the Axis/Plane it won't work. So just pull the dogbone
below everything.

Bug 2 will work in this manner. See example uploaded part.

Attachments

• Use one plane example - Bug 1.AD_PRT
    319 KB · Views: 3
  • Revolve Boss and Axis example - Bug 2.AD_PRT
    336 KB · Views: 0

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Hi oldfox,
Have you followed the steps exactly as I've outlined?
The dogbone is always above the required geometry......
Thanks.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Maybe not. Let me give it another try. I'll get back to you when I have it working.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Bug 1
No problem. It rotates around the inserted axis just fine. The only difference is that when the axis asks for
"insert geometry" you are already on the ZY plane and the axis gets inserted on the XY plane.

Why don't you upload your item we can see how you are really doing it.

Attachments

• Miles Axis Test Bug1.AD_PRT
    355.5 KB · Views: 1

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Here is an example of Bug 2

In the case of Bug 1, I don't think it will help having my Part.....

Unfortunately, I can't read v2018 files

Attachments

• Sketch Insert Axis Bug 2 example.AD_PRT
    224.5 KB · Views: 6

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Insert your Axes and Planes before the sketch of interest. If the dogbone is above the Axis/Plane it won't work. So just pull the dogbone
below everything.

Bug 2 will work in this manner. See example uploaded part.

Do you see the difference between your's and mine? When you are trying to do something concerning another feature, those other features
must be before the active sketch for it to work. The Axis1 is at the top of the Design Explorer Tree. That is the point you were missing.
That's not a bug. It is just how the program is intended to work.

Attachments

• Sketch Insert Axis Bug 2 example 2.AD_PRT
    760 KB · Views: 2

MilesH

Alibre Super User
I think we'll have to agree to disagree about this one. I'm following a perfectly rational proceedure which the software allows me to do. It then fails.... The Axis is above the active Sketch. It appears there after you click Apply in the Insert Axis dialogue box but is greyed out. When you initiate Revolve Boss, this is what you get (see pic). The Axis only passes to the top of the feature tree sequence after the feature succeeds. It's not a serious bug but it is a bug, as is the first example. I only stumbled on it by accident, I wouldn't normally do it this way or I would have found it years ago.

Attachments

• Bug 2 screencap.jpg
    Bug 2 screencap.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 13

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I think we'll have to agree to disagree about this one.

Yes, I agree. I strongly disagree with you for the following reasons.

1. You didn't upload your Alibre file so anyone could try to troubleshoot it. You uploaded a JPG. Nobody can make that work.
2.You're right. The Axis feature is above the "ACTIVE" sketch. And therein lies the problem. Sketch 2 is NOT what you want to rotate.
Sketch 1 IS the sketch that has the 2 circles in it and it is ABOVE the AXIS. The axis of rotation MUST come before the sketch you want
to rotate. I believe that would be Sketch 1 if I'm not mistaken. In any case, it is not a software bug.

Attachments

• Sketch Insert Axis Bug 2 example - WRONG WAY.AD_PRT
    224 KB · Views: 1
  • Sketch Insert Axis Bug 2 example - RIGHT WAY.AD_PRT
    759 KB · Views: 1

MilesH

Alibre Super User
1. You didn't upload your Alibre file so anyone could try to troubleshoot it. You uploaded a JPG. Nobody can make that work.

It's the same file I uploaded before...........

No, the Axis doesn't have to come before the profile Sketch!!!! This is easily verifiable. Also an Axis is not a Feature!

I appreciate your input, though. :)

Last edited:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
OK. If it's a bug then you should open a ticket and reference this entire thread. Maybe they can help you.
Thanks oldfox. I'm not on maintenance at the moment, so I can't open a support ticket on it. I'm not doing this for myself. I don't need help. Just giving feedback via the forum.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Bug 1
Insert a Sketch Node in a Sketch on Plane ZY , outside the above profile.
Sketch Insert Axis and select the Node above.

For me, OK is greyed out in the Revolve Boss dialogue box.

Miles, for your Bug 1 if followed your steps and was able to create the revolve boss, but I think there is a catch which the following images should show.

Revolve1.png
To start with, both sketches completed on XY and ZY planes, Revolve Boss selected without exiting sketch mode. Note that no axis is selected and Sketch<2> is in the Sketches to Revolve box. OK is grayed out.

Revolve2.png
Now I have selected the new axis and it populates the Axis box. Sketch <2> is still in the Sketches to Revolve box and OK is grayed out.

Revolve3.png
Now I have clicked in the Sketches to Revolve box to activate it and selected Sketch<1> from the graphics area to replace Sketch <2>. The preview immediately appears and OK becomes selectable.

Revolve4.png
Now clicking OK creates the Revolve Boss.

The same holds true for your second scenario. Just remember to replace the sketch to revolve with the one you want to revolve. My guess is that Alibre assumes you want to revolve the sketch you are editing when it is actually a previous sketch.

Last edited:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Thanks a lot Harold. Looks like I'm eating humble pie on this one :)

Yes the same mistake also applies to example 2. You can even see it in my jpg!

mstevens

Thanks oldfox. I'm not on maintenance at the moment, so I can't open a support ticket on it. I'm not doing this for myself. I don't need help. Just giving feedback via the forum.

You may not be able to open a ticket; but I am sure you can send them an email detailing the problem. I find it hard to believe any software company would ignore the report of a bug in their software. Well let me rephrase that, I don't know of any software company that would ignore the report of a bug in their software if they are able to fix it.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
That's always a possibility but I usually try to pin things down in the forum first. In this case, I would have wasted their time............

My comment is that Reference Geometry (Planes, Axis, and Points) should be "defined" before a Sketch is created -- and that the elements of Reference Geometry need to be expanded to include (at least) Circles and Cylinders -- and that Reference Planes that are perpendicular to the Plane of the Sketch should be "selectable" in the same manner as Reference Axis.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
The separate problem I see is that Axis gets inserted before the sketch geometry it depends on. It should be inserted after the sketch <2>. This does lead to problems later with the axis not updating position and I have to rearrange it to fix.

The separate problem I see is that Axis gets inserted before the sketch geometry it depends on. It should be inserted after the sketch <2>. This does lead to problems later with the axis not updating position and I have to rearrange it to fix.
Nate -- If a Reference Axis is in some way dependent on a Sketch then it is, by definition not important to the creation of that Sketch. What am I missing here?