Sketch Insert Axis bugs

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
First thing to make clear is that the menu sequence
Insert -> Axis
results in a differently defined Axis than
Sketch -> Insert -> Axis
and I am specifically talking about Sketch -> Insert -> Axis

Secondly the Sketch -> Insert -> Axis defines an Axis from a node or line in the open (being edited) sketch. Often these get put above the sketch they are dependent on. When things change in the sketch they can't update the axis because they are in the history tree in the wrong order.

It doesn't matter what is later dependent on the axis. It will not update correctly.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
I guess that is why I try to define all my Reference Geometry from either Part, Assembly, or Project variables. Thus any Axis I create can be easily updated.
Often, using Sketch > Insert Axis is the only way to create a Plane that you need. I use it all the time. In this case it's the Axis that is dependent on the Sketch, as Nate said.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
I can't recall that I've had any problems with Axes not updating though, despite their sequence in the tree....

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I can't recall that I've had any problems with Axes not updating though, despite their sequence in the tree....
Easily reproducible on mine if the changes to the sketch are driven by changes in the equation editor. A regen or editing the sketch temporarily updates the axis but putting it under the sketch in the history tree fixes it.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Interesting.

Strange how sometimes the Axis is created under the Sketch and sometimes above. That, by itself, doesn't seem to affect updating. If it's below, you can drag it above and the Axis still follows the Sketch.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Just been playing around using the Equation Editor to edit the Sketch dimension that defines the Axis. I can confirm that breaks the update. Dragging the Axis below the Sketch doesn't force an update for me, though. The Axis just moves above the Sketch again when you click OK in the Equation Editor. I'm obviously not using the same proceedure as you Nate.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
I can drive the Axis Sketch with an equation using another Sketch's dimension. This Sketch can be before or after the Axis Sketch and the Axis itself updates as it should.