What's new

Spacemouse autocenter

When working with the spacemouse, the object rather quickly leaves the viewing volume. Which makes absolutely no sense. There should be a functionality to suppress that the object leaves the viewing volume.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I actually have the Space Navigator, which is the precursor of the SpaceMouse, and have noticed that too on several occasions. I have no idea why but the model will zoom way out almost to infinity. It may be a conflict between the 3DConexxion driver and the windows mouse but I don't know how to test that since it is not repeatable in any meaningful way. A quick tap on the keyboard Home key will recenter and zoom in on the part full in the workspace.

I also have the latest driver for my Space Navigator installed but that doesn't seem to eliminate the issue. Maybe if Alibre created an Add On for the Space Mouse that could resolve the issue.

Hunter

When working with the spacemouse, the object rather quickly leaves the viewing volume. Which makes absolutely no sense. There should be a functionality to suppress that the object leaves the viewing volume.
I have the old Space Navigator (10 years old and still working fine) but I think the newer ones still work the same (software is the same). Check in your SpaceMouse settings if Dominant is ticked. If it is, untick it. Also check in Alibre where your rotation centre of your model is, you can set it in View tab. If your part is far away from the origin, and you rotate with the SpaceMouse, your model will just 'disappear' as it swings about a point that is offscreen.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
FYI, here's my rotation setting. Center of Volume seems to be working okay across all models. I tried Origin and Center of Mass but got some odd results with different models

1679557443627.png

And Dominant has never been selected on my Space Navigator settings.

AndyDigital

I take it Rotation Points aren't a thing in Atom3D, I've purchased a Spacemouse Enterprise :cool: and the rotation point is the only thing I'm not 100% happy with so far. The Spacemouse is an awesome bit of kit, hopefully v27 Atom will get some SDK love too, otherwise I may have to shell out for Design instead.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
To use a 3D Connexion device to rotate around a specific piece of geometry 'on the fly': L&RMB drag over the geometry, momentarily, then, as long as the L&RMBs remain held down, the model will rotate around that point with your 3DConnexion device. Using this method is far smoother than moving your mouse to rotate and soon the use of both hands for a one-off specific rotation point comes naturally. Having said that, I wish the temporary rotation point could somehow stay with the 3D Connexion device after L&RMBs have been released, until a further action (eg Shortcut Key added to one of the 3D Connexion buttons) would change back to the default rotation point.

Last edited:

AndyDigital

Thx for the tip I see what you mean now and this will help with my struggle, thanks.

If it's not too much to ask a simple tick box to allow the currently/last highlighted figure to become the centre of rotation would be a very helpful addition for all.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
What I'd like is:
Pressing button A on your 3D Connexion device, while cursor is over (highlights) geometry, sets the new centre of rotation.
Pressing button B resets the centre of rotation to the default.
This way your regular mouse is completely free for what you actually want to do. One hand to hold and move the object, the other to work on it. That's the beauty of a 3D mouse.
I hope we can get something like this in the improvements to 3D Connexion usage that we've been promised.

JimCad

I already have my two space mouse buttons allocated so my view is it's better if we just click on a point to make it the rotation centre.

Jim

MilesH

Alibre Super User
It could be a right-click, there are many ways. My point was mostly about being able to easily switch between a custom selection and the default without freezing the use of the mouse, which is the present state. You can't click the centre of volume.....

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I already have my two space mouse buttons allocated so my view is it's better if we just click on a point to make it the rotation centre.

Jim
IF you are using the radial menus then one of the 'buttons' could be bring up the Rotations dialog so you can Set a New Rotation Point. Another click to bring up Rotations so you can return it to the previous setting whether it was center of mass or center of volume, Either way you only need to set one shortcut key and create a macro to run it.