What's new

Spice Holding Slider - My first real design in Alibre

sacherjj

I've been working on optimizing the kitchen as I cook as much as my wife. And enhancements for the house are the easiest way to justify a Bambu X1C.

While I printed one of the generic versions of spice holder, we decided to get a pack of spice bottles, which allows a custom design that fits better. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7NH5L8P)

I didn't show the front handle dovetails up into the jar carrier with a blind dovetail, then the M3 flat head bolts will hold it in place. The bottom slider also holds in place with M3 flat heads. Hoping to have them the same. Then I needed to make a hole to allow mounting through the dovetail slide.

I need to figure out how to model cleaner in an assembly. But I'm finally getting assembly constraints. This uses two sets of min max offsets for the slide, plus a min 0 no max for the handle to push the dovetail slide back in.

2-06-2024 (08-22-58).gif

sacherjj

I believe the only support I should need with printing is in the bottle holder dovetail ceiling. We shall see how it goes.

Stu3d

I do like life enhancements, especially when they justify buying a new toy. Are they deep enough to prevent the jars toppling out?
This is what we use at home, basic by comparison. They are designed to hold all brands of spices in round and square jars securely. Hole in the bottom to stop build up of spillage and use less filament.

spices.png

sacherjj

Not sure. I'm balancing ease of removal and height. Might want to put a feature up on the front and back to handle start and stop inertia of the bottles.

I'll be printing out a single bottle holder and playing with it in meat world.

sacherjj

Went with 25mm inside height and can't shake them out and can even hold them horizontally, but remove easily. I went with a bit over 1mm tolerance on the inside which allow for a cantilever support here.

HolderWallHeightTest.jpg

Attachments

• HolderWallHeightTest.jpg
    HolderWallHeightTest.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2

sacherjj

I'm rebuilding the constraints as I refine the design and I'm baffled by my over constraint error.

I have two pieces that will be joined by a bolt, so two holes. I select the top circles of the holes and make Fastener constraints. If I have one, there are no errors, but the pieces pivot on the bolt as I would expect. If I add the second, it is over constrained and won't move to slide together as I want in the design. They act like I anchored them.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

2-07-2024 (08-16-09).gif

sacherjj

If I replace the fastener with coaxial, it looks like I'm fine. I guess this is because more than one is defining the face of the pieces to be touching?

sacherjj

Modified the sliding bottom washer to extend much further. There was no reason not to do this as it adds linear stability to the slide and gives more bearing surface area. Also changed to a 45 degree angle contact surface. This is slightly worse in functionality, but allows cleaner and more dimensionally stable 3d printing.

2-07-2024 (12-07-44).gif

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Most CAD software with assembly constraints have similar problems. You often can't constrain by multiple fastener center locations. Since you already constrained everything you need but rotation then (instead of the second fastener constraint) do a constraint between the planes of the two parts using offset free or angle of 0 or 180.

sacherjj

This is definitely me learning how it is done. It is really easy to not think it through and over constrain.

Viewing the base geometry and constraining two planes worked really well with the mount and slide washer. I'm really seeing how setting up travel as global variables would be really nice. Sigh, I'll have to wait a bit to swing for the Expert upgrade.

Last edited:

Ex Machina

This is definitely me learning how it is done. It is really easy to not think it through and over constrain.

Viewing the base geometry and constraining two planes worked really well with the mount and slide washer. I'm really seeing how setting up travel as global variables would be really nice. Sigh, I'll have to wait a bit to
Check out my latest thread in the tutorials section. It's not Global Parameters but in many ways it's more interesting!!!

Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge ;)

sacherjj

I saw that last night, but haven't had a chance to watch it through. Due to the part library, I worried it was only Expert. Saw your response to my comment on that with Atom 3d up.

This would be great to use one sheet per project for globals. Nice.

Ex Machina

Oh yeah, sorry. The Catalog Features are Expert only (I think). But the Excel add in can be used with all 3. I just did the catalog features to speed it up a bit and reduce the video length. Yeah, probably should have mentioned that in video...

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Oh yeah, sorry. The Catalog Features are Expert only (I think). But the Excel add in can be used with all 3. I just did the catalog features to speed it up a bit and reduce the video length. Yeah, probably should have mentioned that in video...

I wonder if this will work with OpenOffice? I haven't used MS Office stuff in a really long time.

sacherjj

Often app integrations rely on a dll from Excel for integration. But that may have changed as it has been 8 years in open source Linux since I've done windows software dev.