What's new

Spreadsheet add in not working

I'm trying to use the spreadsheet add in. But when I click on the parameters tool in excel the parameters UI doesn't pop up.
I've checked that macros are enabled.
Has anyone else seen this and figured it out?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Does the 'bitness' (32 or 64) of the installed add in match that of your Excel installation?

There are also other Excel add ins that will prevent the Alibre add in working
Analysis Toolpak
Analysis Toolpak VBA
Solver

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
How do you unlink a spreadsheet from a part..?
It doesn't appear to be designed for simple disconnection. Move the spreadsheet so it can't do the look up (will hold old values), or manually overtype the file path in the equation field with an actual value to replace it.

Ex Machina

It doesn't appear to be designed for simple disconnection. Move the spreadsheet so it can't do the look up (will hold old values), or manually overtype the file path in the equation field with an actual value to replace it.
Yeah, I tried typing a different value but it doesn't work. The name shows up in red, the equation shows the same file path, and the parameter has the value I typed in... Hmmm...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm - in that case there isn't any smooth way I can think of.

Out of interest why would you want to un-link anyway?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure I follow - by 'generator' do you mean using Toolbox?

I did some experiments, but only manage to disconnect 1 row out of 4 on a particular part, using a brute force approach.

Ex Machina

No, no. A couple of parts and an assembly driven off of a spreadsheet. Input values, Excel does the logic and lookup magic and populates the parameter values, I update and then save as. Now I have my "Generator" file and a new file/files which is the specific SKU.

But that specific SKU needs to be untied from the spreadsheet so that in the next change only the "Generator" file gets affected and not the "Generated" one...

I hope I made sense. It's still a bit complicated in my head too. Still hammering everything out.

By the way, I can do that with GLP, but I want it to work for Alibre Atom 3D too...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Well you could Save As the Excel for each instance, and re-link each new part to corresponding Excel file....

Ex Machina

Yeah, I guess that would work but I want to hand over the files then for someone else to use. That's not really a comfortable workflow and people are going to object to it. I'm sure you know how it is. It's OK. I'll figure it out.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I eventually managed by deleting and replacing dimensions, but even that took a few attempts before I could delete the spreadsheet links.

Ex Machina

I eventually managed by deleting and replacing dimensions, but even that took a few attempts before I could delete the spreadsheet links.
Thanks for all of the effort man. But again, I couldn't possibly ask that of a client. But I think I will "give proper instructions" and just say that the design should be exported to step since any change should be done in the "Generator" part and not in the Final, "Generated" parts.