What's new

Sweep cut difficulties

I'm working on a model of a phone case. I started by creating a solid of the phone, then using shell. From there, I'm using various cuts to get the final shape.

I'm struggling with a sweep cut that is acting peculiar. In the attached model, "Sweep <39>" won't allow me to close the loop around the screen. As long as I leave one segment out -- it doesn't matter which segment -- it works like I expect.

1698760190222.png
As soon as I add the last segment, however, it either A) deletes the entire body, leaving only the sweep face, or B) throws an error:
CONT_CRUMBLE: inconsistent containments on coincident face_face_ints

Things I've tried to resolve the problem:
* Drawing "Sketch<16>" in different locations (and multiple locations)
* Rebuilding the solid leading up to "Shell <16>"
* Using Surface/Thicken Surface instead of Shell

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• phonecase.AD_PRT
    1 MB · Views: 6

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I've run into this before as well.

My workaround is usually to just change the path so that both ends of it terminate at a strait section. Then, I can do a simple sketch/extrude cut to finish the strait section. In this instance, at the bottom of the case.

1698764310314.png

Attachments

• phonecase.AD_PRT
    1 MB · Views: 1

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I'm struggling with a sweep cut that is acting peculiar. In the attached model, "Sweep <39>" won't allow me to close the loop around the screen. As long as I leave one segment out -- it doesn't matter which segment -- it works like I expect.

This would be a good example to send to Support for Dev to look at. This sort of result should not be happening and needs to be checked into.
We need functions that work without workarounds.