What's new

Thoughts On Offer

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Got this in an email. Looks very appealing to me. Anybody have any thoughts on these printers?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 36

indesign

Alibre Super User
The small printer is $1299. Then purchase 3 spools at $99 each. There is $1596 where the Cube invent pack is $1399 on that site. Basically 2 spools for free and it already comes with a neon green so there is another spool.

As for the larger ones well it appears the packs only come with the scanner but the cost is great when comparing the 2 color Cube X printer costs along with the spools. Almost get the scanner for free and you get the Cubify Sculpt as well as the Cubify Design seat For $3299. The 2 color Cube X by itself is $2999 then add 3 spools at $99 each Well you get the picture.

Don't guess they have the Cube X single color int he deal packs.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
How large are the filament packs and can you use someone else's filament or are you forced to buy only 3DS filament products?

Too bad they don't off free samples yet. I'm waiting for sample prints from a competitor whose product has about the same build volume and resolution. I'm used to machining plastic parts to resolutions of around 0.001" and consumer-grade 3D printers today seem challenged to get much closer than 0.005" and are quite slow at that. The CubifyX FAQ says that an IPhone case will take around 2 hours to print, for example but don't specify resolution. On the CubfyX there seem to be 3 selectable resolutions: 0.02-in:, 0.01-in, and 0.004-in.

Interesting that the warranty is only 90 days, too.

rcheliman

Personally,, I do not care how long it takes something to print. It is quality that counts. The parts need to perform a task. Whether it is accuracy, surface finish, material choice, etc. (color should not matter as there are tons of spray paint out there) that matters. If the printer meets your needs then go for it. For the price point there are a bunch of options. I have had horrible luck with cupcake from Makerbot. That has kept me away from FDM printers for a long time. For the parts you intend to print, do you anticipate parts with overhangs or complex parts that will need supports? If yes, then the X is your starting point.
I would still like to see a part off one. I had asked a long time ago for a test part but it never showed up. I had asked about a year ago for one.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
It looks like the standard filament spool size in the industry is 1 kg and these seem to run from $20 to $100 per kg depending on source and format. 3DS seems to be at the high end of that range, at least for the CubeX and it looks like they are trying to lock you into you using their proprietary filament cartridges, though there are reports of workarounds for re-loading with generic filament. That's awful expensive for material

I have a home metalworking shop with lathe and CNC mill and frequently make parts from plastic, all mechanical in nature as opposed to the organically-shaped objects, like figurines, that seem to be popular with many 3D printer hobbyists. From what I've seen, the quality from consumer-grade 3D printers might not be acceptable to me but the chances are much better for "mechanical" objects than for the arty objects. The layers and resultant ridges are just too obvious in the latter and would adversely affect fit, if not finish in the former. I do wonder if it might be feasible in some cases to print some parts oversize and then clean them up with subtractive machining. It would work technically, I suppose, but the economics might not be beneficial.

I've been looking at the Zortrax M-200 printer from a company in Poland. The printer started as a Kickstarter project and was finished around the 1st of the year. Shortly after that Dell made some sort of commitment to buy 5,000 printers and it looks like they are just starting to ship in quantity. I've got some sample prints on the way and will be interested to see their quality.

Mike

bigseb

Alibre Super User
MikeHenry said:
I've been looking at the Zortrax M-200 printer from a company in Poland. The printer started as a Kickstarter project and was finished around the 1st of the year. Shortly after that Dell made some sort of commitment to buy 5,000 printers and it looks like they are just starting to ship in quantity. I've got some sample prints on the way and will be interested to see their quality.
I will look into this too but please pass on any info you get on this. Cheers!

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Sebastian,

The printer is $1800 (US) and apparently ships from HK or Europe. Only ABS filament is available at present, but they are working on other types, like PC-ABS, and apparently other vendors filaments can be used. Filament is $19 (US)/kg for Zortrax printer owners and $45/kg for others. The software is proprietary (as opposed to open source) and is functional but missing some features that some users would want, like selectable print speed and more advanced infill/support options that can affect print speed. Minimum layer size right now is 190 microns I think, but they are planning to reduce that down to 25 microns. At least a couple of owners have used GMD to create their part designs and they report no problems. Presumably the enhancements recently added to GMD will only improve the experience of using it for 3D printing on Zortrax and other printers.

Mike

neilr

Just got my first 3D printed part form Cubify and I was impressed, it is a small and very delicate part, a pendant actually, 3/4" across and 2mm thick with many .5mm thick "walls ", very detailed. I think the guys at Cubify didn't like the first few prints they did because they sent me three of the prints when I only ordered one, makes them very customer oriented in my view, a big +. Just FYI this was the first 3D printed part I have actually held in my hand and I ordered it for that purpose (and to try my hand at silver casting) so I have a frame of reference when researching printers.

And after reading this I was wondering if anyone knows what printer they use at Cubify?
How do the printers on the market compare in print quality?

And if anyone has any experience with this new printer manufacturer? I am looking at their Iron 3D printer for budget reasons.

specs.:

Specifications of the Iron 3D 12X12:
Build area of 305mm x 305mm x 355mm (12"x12"x14")​ for the biggest of prints.
Total footprint of 25"X22"X21"
50 micron tested Z resolution.​
0.4, 0.5, or 0.75mm tip on the fine tuned Crayon hot-end for whatever your needs may be.​
Made for 1.75 or 3mm to meet any filament needs.
RAMPS motherboard upgradable in almost any way you could want.
5 NEMA 17 motors, each chosen to meet necessary torque needs.​
Resolution XY: 10.5µ Z: 50-400µm
GT2 Belts and precision machined pulleys.

Printer features:

Welded steel frame makes this printer without equal!
Easily comes apart into 2 pieces for easy transportation.​
Wing nuts for precision bed adjustment.​
Many parts are upgradable so that you can tune your machine however you want.​
Build Guide PDF for printer assembly, download available after purchase
(see user downloads on bottom left).

Link:
https://shop.diytechshop.com/index.php? ... duct_id=51

bigseb

Alibre Super User
MikeHenry said:
How large are the filament packs and can you use someone else's filament or are you forced to buy only 3DS filament products?

Too bad they don't off free samples yet. I'm waiting for sample prints from a competitor whose product has about the same build volume and resolution. I'm used to machining plastic parts to resolutions of around 0.001" and consumer-grade 3D printers today seem challenged to get much closer than 0.005" and are quite slow at that. The CubifyX FAQ says that an IPhone case will take around 2 hours to print, for example but don't specify resolution. On the CubfyX there seem to be 3 selectable resolutions: 0.02-in:, 0.01-in, and 0.004-in.

Interesting that the warranty is only 90 days, too.

No you can only use 3DS filament reels which sucks 'cos they are double the price of the competition. And yes, the 90 day warranty does give me pause for thought...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
MikeHenry said:
Sebastian,

The printer is $1800 (US) and apparently ships from HK or Europe. Only ABS filament is available at present, but they are working on other types, like PC-ABS, and apparently other vendors filaments can be used. Filament is $19 (US)/kg for Zortrax printer owners and $45/kg for others. The software is proprietary (as opposed to open source) and is functional but missing some features that some users would want, like selectable print speed and more advanced infill/support options that can affect print speed. Minimum layer size right now is 190 microns I think, but they are planning to reduce that down to 25 microns. At least a couple of owners have used GMD to create their part designs and they report no problems. Presumably the enhancements recently added to GMD will only improve the experience of using it for 3D printing on Zortrax and other printers.

Mike

That's the biggie for me. The UP 2 Plus has 150 microns.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
[quote="bigseb]That's the biggie for me. The UP 2 Plus has 150 microns.[/quote]

Zortrax minimum layer height is now 140 microns, or at least that's how they printed the sample prints they sent me. They actually looked quite good, better than I'd have expected. You can feel the ridges formed by each Z layer with a fingernail but it is hard to see them more than a few inches away, at least in the white ABS the samples were printed with. By the way, Zortrax is selling ABS for $19/kg to registered Zortrax printer owners. The price for the world at large is $45/kg.

Mike

bigseb

Alibre Super User
MikeHenry said:
bigseb said:
That's the biggie for me. The UP 2 Plus has 150 microns.

Zortrax minimum layer height is now 140 microns, or at least that's how they printed the sample prints they sent me. They actually looked quite good, better than I'd have expected. You can feel the ridges formed by each Z layer with a fingernail but it is hard to see them more than a few inches away, at least in the white ABS the samples were printed with. By the way, Zortrax is selling ABS for $19/kg to registered Zortrax printer owners. The price for the world at large is $45/kg.

Mike
Thats a good price for material. :shock:

The UP is looking good simply because there is a local reseller.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Going through the Zortrax Spec sheet and this stood out:

Print Technology: LPD - Layer Plastic Deposition
Build Volume: 8.07 L x 8.07 W x 7.3 H in [205 x 205 x 185 mm]
Layer Resolution Settings: Standard: 90-400 microns [0.003543-0.015748 in]
Wall Thickness:
Minimal: 400 microns,
Optimal: 800+ microns
Resolutution of Single Printable Point: 400+ microns
Filament Diameter: 1.75 mm [0.069 in]
Filament Type: Z-ABS, (Z-PC-ABS, Z-PLA, Z-NYLON - in future update)
Nozzle Diameter: 0.4 mm [0.015 in]
Minimum Single Movement Precision: 1.5 microns
Positioning Precision X/Y: 1.5 microns

Z Single Step: 1.25 microns
Extruder Maximum Temperature: 320° C
Heated Platform Maximum Temperature: 110° C

:shock: :D