What's new

Thoughts On Offer

bigseb

Alibre Super User
MikeHenry said:
Dual heads would be nice, using one for dissolvable support material and the other for part material.

My thought too. The FlashForge has slipped into 1st place because of this. According to the reseller you can use one nozzle for printing in ABS and the other for printing supports in HIPS. When done then just soak the model in Limonene which dissolves the HIPS.

MikeHenry said:
Who do you go to for support if there is a problem?

The reseller. He flies everything in so it takes 10 to 14 days.

MikeHenry said:
If you keep finding new printers, you are going to need a wider monitor to see your chart in one shot :D

lol... I have read up on so many 3D printers... I think I have picked a good selection. I could probably remove the Airwolf, Zortrax and UP (although I am very fond of the UP... don't know why, I just am).

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
Decision made. Buying a FlashForge Creator X.

:D

Congratulations - when do you get it?

Zortrax tells me 4-8 weeks yet, but there are public reports of deliveries to recent buyers.

Mike

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I haven't placed the order yet. I'll do that next week once the pressure's off a bit. Will be here in about 10 working days from placing the order.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Just an update:

Our FlashForge Creator X arrived last week Monday and we are very very happy with it. Definitely a super investment! :D Its also worth mentioning that the quality of the prints is superb. The slicer we're using is Makerware and we are basically running everything on the standard (default) profile. We haven't begun to dig into the user-defined profiles yet because the standard on is good enough.

We had a few issues in the beginning, mainly with getting the print to stick to the build plate and warping. However once I made covers for the front and top (which were open) they are a thing of the past.

Attachments

• 20140527_142245.jpg
    20140527_142245.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 29

Mibe

Alibre Super User
I use/used double adhesive tape (floor mat tape) on the print bed to avoid warping and unsticky parts. Works perfectly :)

nivram

With regards to the Sense scanner, I would not bother. We bought one when they first came out. Great for scanning peoples heads, not great for use in an engineering application. It just looses tracking all the time even on simple small brackets. we even tried on a railway vehicle bogie...was total pants...good as a toy but nothing else. you get what you pay for I guess.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Revisiting this thread with an update:

I have had my print nearly three years and it still runs like the bomb. Very very impressed with it. The prints have gotten better and better as my experience and knowledge increased and I don't think I have quite hit the ceiling yet. Good quality print that are dimensionally accurate (usually within 0.05mm).

The hardware is reasonably tough too. I replaced the Y motor bracket with a custom aluminium one, as too the X belt bracket. The plastic ones gave up after about 18 months.I also had to replace the X axis stepper cable and x axis end-stop cable.