What's new

Too Tall Toby Leaderboard

sacherjj

I'm modifying a similar model that was in the PDF pack. I can't figure out where the center for the handle sweep arc should be.

Edit: Oh, you constrain by the intersection with the side. That is nasty.

Ex Machina

Konstantinos check the handle. When I modeled it I ran into the same type of problem and found that I had dimensioned the handle wrong. I finally got it right. I am at work and can't open your model but that is the problem I had.
I'm pretty sure it's the handle too. I'll look at it again...

Ex Machina

I'm modifying a similar model that was in the PDF pack. I can't figure out where the center for the handle sweep arc should be.

Edit: Oh, you constrain by the intersection with the side. That is nasty.
lol, why nasty? That's the dimensions it gives you, that's what I put in... But yeah, that handle must be the problem.

sacherjj

I am within 1 gram. Since I based this off of my version of this one, it was a little different. Might have some wrong dims somewhere.

Edit: Looking at the site now, this is current. Interesting, my Alibre file was completely different and I show this one as completed. Wonder if he updated it at some point.

Attachments

• 24-01-03.AD_PKG
    93.5 KB · Views: 2

Ex Machina

I am within 1 gram. Since I based this off of my version of this one, it was a little different. Might have some wrong dims somewhere.

Edit: Looking at the site now, this is current. Interesting, my Alibre file was completely different and I show this one as completed. Wonder if he updated it at some point.
Well, that would round to 416 which would pass. But that 31mm dimension you have there is explicitly called as 34 in the print. Why did you dimension it like that? Nvm, got it. You're doing the inner path, I was doing the outer one (3rd edit) You're actually doing the centerline path, OK.

(4th edit) On the inside you have a 3mm fillet. If you make it 4mm it's spot on.

Last edited:

Ex Machina

Yeah, I modeled this on what the print WAS. Not sure why it changed.
Yeah, Toby does that so that you don't have an advantage by doing previous versions. The problem is that the way you did the handle is actually, slightly, off...
1707244026731.png
I'm beginning to think that the problem is elsewhere, not the handle.

Ex Machina

Got it!!! OK, that was obscure. Thanks, sacherjj! Your model helped. The ellipsis at the bottom is tangent to the flat spot. I had imagined that the ellipsis is centered on the cylinder and the flat spot is cut into it. So, I had made the center coincident to the Z axis. Whereas, you had the center of the ellipsis under the point that it ends on the bottom (hence tangent to the flat spot).

Thanks a lot guys!

sacherjj

The previous one I did had the center of the sweep radius specified. So mine was definitely a hack to get there. :)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
His drawings seem almost designed to confuse. I have always read that the aim of the drawing should be to make the design clear, and use whatever presentation best does that.

sacherjj

Well you are supposed to design with intent in mind. Perhaps Tony actually intends to be an pain in our ass. :cool:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I had a go at it. What was the mass supposed to be? I used a circular chord and the 37mm dimension along the edge of the cup, offset by 3mm (half the ellipse width), to define the sweep path.

1707250707043.png

1707250492135.png

Attachments

• Cup.AD_PRT
    461.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ex Machina

Yeah David. That's the point. Of course in production you would dimension very differently. For example the arc of that handle should have a centermark and the radius in brackets, at least.
His drawings seem almost designed to confuse. I have always read that the aim of the drawing should be to make the design clear, and use whatever presentation best does that.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Toby's drawings are certainly an exercise in print reading. You have to carefully study them to see where the "gotchas" are. The other thing is how he determines the mass. Does you round to the nearest whole? On some with a large tolerance is that because he found differences in mass from other programs?

I took a shot it this odd ball and here's my results.

1707259927551.png

Ex Machina

Toby's drawings are certainly an exercise in print reading. You have to carefully study them to see where the "gotchas" are. The other thing is how he determines the mass. Does you round to the nearest whole? On some with a large tolerance is that because he found differences in mass from other programs?

I took a shot it this odd ball and here's my results.

View attachment 40949

Yeah, for sure they are an extreme example of annotating a design. But, if we're honest, they are not beyond what would end up on the desk of a CNC Job Shop Programmer. In fact, in some cases, they are better made than that. So, it's not a completely wasted skill I would say.

And I'm saying that who is getting Got by most of the Gotchas... lol... I'm getting better though.

P.S. Go make that model in the Practice Model on his website if you have an account. Put your name and Alibre logo up there.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
P.S. Go make that model in the Practice Model on his website if you have an account. Put your name and Alibre logo up there.

Yeah, I just tried signing up on TTT's web site and that was a PITA. Kept getting Server 500 errors and wouldn't accept the code for 2factor authorization. Tried watching the video for working on the practice drawings and got nothing. So either he has a major malfunction on his web site or his server is having issues. Not impressed. :mad:

gwbruce

Have you checked out the Too Tall Toby practice model leaderboard? 5 Alibre users have completed some of or all of the practice models. Heck yeah. Lets keep Alibre up there on the practice model leaderboard.