What's new

Too Tall Toby Leaderboard

Ex Machina

I saw the matches on replay. Basically Ty was either as fast, or faster. He lost the second match on a very slight error on the base of the L shape, when he could have definitely gotten it. It was bad luck and an error under pressure. I've done that many a times while practicing.

Amazing fight you put up, Ty! You can be proud of that. Dom is a regular and has been successful in the past.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Good showing Ty.
You can practice a lot then when you're under the clock it seems like all the practice is gone in the wind.

What I noticed was that some of the tools that are in other CAD programs seem to make it easier to model quicker -- like the line -arc-line function in SW. Not to say that is not possible in Alibre with the use of hot-keys. I recall using that in SW when I was working and it just made sketching quicker.

Ex Machina

Good showing Ty.
You can practice a lot then when you're under the clock it seems like all the practice is gone in the wind.

What I noticed was that some of the tools that are in other CAD programs seem to make it easier to model quicker -- like the line -arc-line function in SW. Not to say that is not possible in Alibre with the use of hot-keys. I recall using that in SW when I was working and it just made sketching quicker.
Yeah, that is a very good observation. Alibre is lighter as a software so it's snappier but it is missing a couple of quality-of-life little tricks like the line-arc-line tool, and the intersecting profiles for features, and sketch imprinting.

I guess it comes down to nerves and getting the appropriate part for Alibre to shine. But nerves and luck are huge factors in any competition...

Ex Machina

Hey Alibre Team!!! Need a bit of help/insight into what I might be doing wrong here. I tried the part from the Chadwick - Guilherme match up that ended uo in a push. Toby said that the correct answer was 1482 and I am getting 1729. The thing is that it's quite a simple part, I've already tried it on 2 different days so that I have a clearer mind, and I get the same result.

Am I being blind (it has been known to happen) or is 1482 the wrong answer?

I'm uploading the drawing and my part.
1708255268633.png

Attachments

• 24-SPO-21-CAM1.AD_PRT
    506 KB · Views: 2
I got 1481g (1480.8g) with this method:

Totally started this like I was gonna edit it, but decided against it. Forgive the false start!

EDIT: I forgot the inner fillets which will account for my loss of 1.2 grams.

Last edited:

jroy

Hi Konstantinos, I came spot on with the mass. I got 1482.0256 gm when I tried the model.
But thank god I'm not competing...I hate the clock and not having a second monitor to display the drawing, going back and forth between the drawing and Alibre is tiresome.

Good luck to you for the competition next week...

Jocelyn

Attachments

• 24-spo-21 Cam1.AD_PRT
    412.5 KB · Views: 0

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I joined yesterday and have now done 12 practise models and the one you were asking about. I got 1482.0358gm

I'll never compete though, my brain isn't too good at 4am (my time)

Ex Machina

I joined yesterday and have now done 12 practise models and the one you were asking about. I got 1482.0358gm

I'll never compete though, my brain isn't too good at 4am (my time)
I completely get that! And that puts Ty's effort into more perspective, I think...

I hate to keep making this a "I couldn't get this one, pls help" thread, but I was looking through old tournament models and I had two that I honestly couldn't get.

The first one (yellow) was only a little but off. I checked my measurements and ended up giving up without saving, but my main issue was that the arch bits on the bottom, when extruded, seem to go out through the dome part.

The second one (green) was the same deal. I was 10g off. I guess I wasn't really sure how I should create the main plate in Alibre. I just created the horizontal shape and then did a negative boss to get rid of the parts I didn't need. Not sure.

I don't need like full videos or anything, but they are interesting models and I felt so close yet so far. Maybe just some pointers in the right direction?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240219-012647.png
    Screenshot_20240219-012647.png
    938 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240219-012247.png
    Screenshot_20240219-012247.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
but my main issue was that the arch bits on the bottom, when extruded, seem to go out through the dome part.
I recall doing that model a while ago, or one similar. I created an plane offset 10 mm from the center then sketched the rib as shown in the section view. That was extruded Up to next or Up to Geometry and select the inside face. That should stop it from going through the wall. Then I mirrored the result to the other side.

Stu3d

I hate to keep making this a "I couldn't get this one, pls help" thread, but I was looking through old tournament models and I had two that I honestly couldn't get.

The first one (yellow) was only a little but off. I checked my measurements and ended up giving up without saving, but my main issue was that the arch bits on the bottom, when extruded, seem to go out through the dome part.

The second one (green) was the same deal. I was 10g off. I guess I wasn't really sure how I should create the main plate in Alibre. I just created the horizontal shape and then did a negative boss to get rid of the parts I didn't need. Not sure.

I don't need like full videos or anything, but they are interesting models and I felt so close yet so far. Maybe just some pointers in the right direction?
This my attempt at the yellow nozzle, no idea if it is correct as I don't know what the mass should be. My first attempt at the ribs was as Harold described but I couldn't make it work. Ended up with a new plane 6mm up from XY, drew end profile of rib that overlapped in to dome, created new axis and did a 180 degree revolve.
Edit, my dimensions are completely out but that is how I did the ribs.
Edit 2, had main diameter wrong, replaced model.
Edit 3, I have the mass as 101.4g... which is apparently wrong by 1.6g :(

Attachments

• nozzle.AD_PRT
    527 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Stu3d

I think I created the main plate in a similar way to you. Again, not sure if I have mass correct.
Edit, I have mass as 2551.05g

Attachments

• braced arm.AD_PRT
    600 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
This my attempt at the yellow nozzle, no idea if it is correct as I don't know what the mass should be. My first attempt at the ribs was as Harold described but I couldn't make it work. Ended up with a new plane 6mm up from XY, drew end profile of rib that overlapped in to dome, created new axis and did a 180 degree revolve.
Edit, my dimensions are completely out but that is how I did the ribs.
Edit 2, had main diameter wrong, replaced model.
Yeah I couldn't get up to next or to geometry to work for me for the rib, hence my problem. I'll check your model out and see what you did. It sounds like you basically did what I did to remove the extra parts.

I appreciate everyone's help! I guess if nothing else, asking for help with models like this keeps us all proficient when he's not releasing new ones?
Thanks everyone!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Went digging through my TooTallToby folder and found the model for the nozzle part. Looking at how I made the internal ribs I extruded 3 mm from the offset plane, not up to next or up to geometry like I mentioned in my previous post - bad memory.

1708358198927.png

Here's the model if anyone is interested. BTW, it checks in at 103 g, not sure what it is supposed to be.

Attachments

• 22-T-74 NOZZLE.AD_PRT
    528.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

gwbruce

Harold, 103 grams is the correct mass. Good job. Hey Harold, it looks like you pulled off an Ivan Exploit. You have the ribs rotated 90 degrees from what is shown on the print. Mass comes out the same thought. LOL!!!

Last edited: