What's new

Too Tall Toby Leaderboard

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
it looks like you pulled off an Ivan Exploit. You have the ribs rotated 90 degrees from what is shown on the print. Mass comes out the same thought. LOL!!!
Huh, So I do. Didn't even notice. It's been a while. from the create date on the file it looks like I modeled that one last December.

BTW, I just finished TTTony's practice drawings. He's got some doozies there. His system failed on me a couple of times when I finished a drawing and it didn't record the results. Hope they get it figured out.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Harold, 103 grams is the correct mass. Good job. Hey Harold, it looks like you pulled off an Ivan Exploit. You have the ribs rotated 90 degrees from what is shown on the print. Mass comes out the same thought. LOL!!!

Was it 103 grams exactly? I tried it and ended up with 103.0033.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Yes! the precision got me on a practice build. I wasted 10 mins going over the model before it finally twigged. :rolleyes:

So something about Alibre has been interesting to me whenever I watch a TTT competition. Alibre seems to take a bit longer to load compared to some other options. It would be much faster to have a document already open and not have to wait for it to load. I wonder if it would be possible to write a Python addon to make the mass calculation work a bit more like the TTT addon that OnShape users are using. Of course you'd still have to worry about IPS vs MMGS... but I still wonder if it'd be possible or if it'd save some time to not have to select a material at the start.

For reference, if you've not seen it, a script has been written for OnShape users that gives them the values for all 3 TTT materials in one dialog box, without having to select a material from the start.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have my default set to MM and grams. I have the TTT materials added to the RMB favorites. Since the majority of the drawings are in mm I don't have to reset it for every drawing. Adding material is a right click and select. that is much faster than running a script in Alibre.
For the few drawings that are in Inches/Lbs it is a quick pick on the file properties icon at the top of the DE to get to those properties for changing.

gwbruce

Huh, So I do. Didn't even notice. It's been a while. from the create date on the file it looks like I modeled that one last December.

BTW, I just finished TTTony's practice drawings. He's got some doozies there. His system failed on me a couple of times when I finished a drawing and it didn't record the results. Hope they get it figured out.
@HaroldL it looks like you jumped a couple of places ahead of me in the TTT practice drawing leaderboard. WooHoo!!! Getting them Alibre users up there.

During my last weekend I did a majority of the practice models. I'm giving myself a break before I frustrate myself, but then I'll be finishing the rest of them probably within the next week or two. Or at least trying them.

It would be cool if enough of us could get high enough on the leaderboard that Toby says something. I'd love to hear a comment like, "wow these Alibre users really love practicing their skills and learning!"

Stu3d

So something about Alibre has been interesting to me whenever I watch a TTT competition. Alibre seems to take a bit longer to load compared to some other options. It would be much faster to have a document already open and not have to wait for it to load. I wonder if it would be possible to write a Python addon to make the mass calculation work a bit more like the TTT addon that OnShape users are using. Of course you'd still have to worry about IPS vs MMGS... but I still wonder if it'd be possible or if it'd save some time to not have to select a material at the start.

For reference, if you've not seen it, a script has been written for OnShape users that gives them the values for all 3 TTT materials in one dialog box, without having to select a material from the start.
Would it slow Alibre/computer down to already have 6 new drawings open covering all 6 unit/material options (assuming no sheet metal) and then just pull up the one needed?

sacherjj

I went back to enter in an answer to one of the practice models. The page had timed out and I had to load it fresh and then finish it and submit. The time tracking doesn't work too well, is it seems like I suddenly rocketed up to #2 based on this fake time. Gonna be a while before I could really race anyone. :)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
it seems like I suddenly rocketed up to #2 based on this fake time.
Maybe send a message to the TTT web gurus via their contact link. I had a couple of the practice files fail to complete the "Award transaction" when I submitted the mass. I got a pop up stating to send a message via the contact link. When I checked my email I had received a message stating that the issue was fixed, so someone is "listening" and taking care of issues.

sacherjj

You can game the system pretty easily as the weight values are on the client side in javascript. I've looked when I've tried to figure out if I should be bigger or smaller to figure out my error. So only really the video of a solve should be trusted.

I'm not in it for the speed, just the practice. Like coding contests for speed, I find that they create bad habits for small time savings and this can break good habits for doing things correctly each time.

Ex Machina

That's specifically prohibited in the rules, Adam. But it would only make a difference in the qualifiers or a monthly leaderboard challenge. In the actual competition, it makes no difference because you're looking at the print while it's opening.

P.S. If you've opened every template at least once, my system takes just under 6sec to re-open it. And you can still be seleting sketch tool via hotkeys while it is. So, I'm not worried.

Last edited:

gwbruce

Konstantinos you know I'm wishing you the best of luck. I will be watching as long as I can. Just wish I could see it on a bigger screen than my phone, but hey at least I get to watch. Just remember to stay calm and breath. You got this.

Stu3d

Due to not being able to see all the visible dimensions in an early TTT practice model I realised there were 'ways to game the system' but what's the point of doing that. I would rather know where I stand against the best even if its the bottom of the pile.

Last edited:

Ex Machina

Konstantinos you know I'm wishing you the best of luck. I will be watching as long as I can. Just wish I could see it on a bigger screen than my phone, but hey at least I get to watch. Just remember to stay calm and breath. You got this.
Thank you so much, man! I appreciate it very much and I'll take all of your wishes and kind words with me into the competition. I will try my best. Me, on my best day, I surely have this. But sometimes, pressure or overconfidence causes us to make mistakes. Like not seeing obvious markings or dimensions.

I will give it my best shot!

Ex Machina

Due to not being able to see all the visible dimensions in an early TTT practice model I realised there were 'ways to game the system' but what's the point of doing that. I would rather know where I stand against the best even if its the bottom of the pile.
Very true. Besides, the purpose of that webpage and approach to practice models is to actually practice and become better at using your CAD software and reading a 2D print. That's why no times are displayed as results, just the number of models completed.

gwbruce

@Stu3d you will find that in some of the TTT prints there are "missing" dimensions. They really aren't missing the feature usually depends on another feature to be placed first then the next feature will be able to be modeled. The more you do the better you get. To me it is a lot like sight reading music. You don't know what you are going to play until they hand you the sheet music and then you have to quickly scan, interpret and play. In speed modeling you don't know what you are going to model until you see the print. You have to quickly scan, interpret and model.

Stu3d

@Stu3d you will find that in some of the TTT prints there are "missing" dimensions. They really aren't missing the feature usually depends on another feature to be placed first then the next feature will be able to be modeled. The more you do the better you get. To me it is a lot like sight reading music. You don't know what you are going to play until they hand you the sheet music and then you have to quickly scan, interpret and play. In speed modeling you don't know what you are going to model until you see the print. You have to quickly scan, interpret and model.
I realise the odd missing dimensions thing and that what makes it so challenging compared with a production drawing. The problem I had was I couldn't visiblally see all the TTT drawing we are given as it more than filled my screen so I was lacking information. Sorted in Firefox but not android, latter my preferred choice so I don't have to have 2 pcs running (no 2 screen systems runnig at the moment). Looking forward to TTT tomorrow :)

gwbruce

I realise the odd missing dimensions thing and that what makes it so challenging compared with a production drawing. The problem I had was I couldn't visiblally see all the TTT drawing we are given as it more than filled my screen so I was lacking information. Sorted in Firefox but not android, latter my preferred choice so I don't have to have 2 pcs running (no 2 screen systems runnig at the moment). Looking forward to TTT tomorrow :)
I hear ya. Not having 2 screens can be a real draw back. Broke down about a year ago and got me a second monitor to go along with my laptop. Sure glad I did. I got used to having two screens at work and just couldn't do without it at home too. LOL!! Yes I too am looking forward to tomorrow and cheering @Ex Machina on to victory.