What's new

Tracing range of motion

uminded

I am just starting out and would like to be able to trace the range of motion onto a surface so I can extrude it.

For example, if I have a pantagraph and a large shape that I want to reduce. Is there a way I can trace the range of motion around the larger object and map that onto a sketch at the other armature point?

A mundane example but I have some complex woodworking and routing jigs in mind and it would be easier to design and make "test cuts" virtually.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Is this a real world shape that you want to trace? If it is you could probably take a picture of it and bring that into Alibre as a tracing image. Once in Alibre trace it them scale the part you make from the traced sketch.

uminded

That's a sweet pantograph. In my example, I would want to be able to draw a 1:1 scale (likely via an image import and trace) where the Dremel is. I would then like to do a range of motion simulation with collision to "create" the template.

In the case of a pantograph, the ratio will remain fixed so this is around the bush way to do it but it illustrates what I want to do. Another example is designing a robotic arm and using it to find the total reachable area to better design a work surface.

uminded

Wow, SolveSpace is super cool, exactly what I was looking for!

I simply re-create a wireframe linkage of my model and trace within minutes. Thanks!