What's new

Union Pacific #4017 Big Boy

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I know there are a bunch of train fans here, so I thought I would post a couple photos of the Union Pacific #4017 Big Boy I saw yesterday at the National Railroad Museum. What a beast that thing is!

I highly recommend checking out the trains at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
20230701_132815.jpg20230701_132928.jpg20230701_132931.jpg20230701_132932.jpg20230701_132133.jpg

Old Geeser

Thanks, Nate, for those christle clear photos of the Big Boy. Can we trace the images and create a 3D model?
Karl

swertel

Alibre Super User
I know there are a bunch of train fans here, so I thought I would post a couple photos of the Union Pacific #4017 Big Boy I saw yesterday at the National Railroad Museum. What a beast that thing is!

I highly recommend checking out the trains at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
I grew up in Green Bay but haven't been back to the Railroad Museum in... in a long time.

I also highly recommend a visit if you are ever in town. It's not far from Lambeau.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Thanks Nate,
Your pictures are of very good quality. What a swarm of command valves.!

I have found an interesting plan of this huge steam locomotive. It might be useful for some enthusiastic Alibre.... Harold next project?!!

American Locomotive Company
Sokerectady Work (Please correct if needed)
Dec. 1941

Last edited:

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
I haven't had a reason to go up that way in ages or I'd make a trip out of it. There's an R/C track I raced at a few times near there, but I got out of the hobby around 2015.

I have seen the restored #4014 run past me when it came through on its first tour. One of those things your brain struggles to understand what you're showing it: something that big and that heavy should not be moving, let alone that fast. And yet there it is in front of you.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That video brings back some memories I have as a kid falling asleep in the summer time with the windows open and hearing the whistles on the steam engines as they went through town and off into the distance. The tracks were a few miles away and the sound seemed haunting and lonely.

BTW the first minute could be trimmed off the video. just sayin'.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi
You would not happen to have a link to that for better resolution so as to read all the text.
1.-I don't have acces a better resolution of the drawing. May be contact directly the Union Pacific

2.-Here are other resource that may help:

3.-So if you have some cash:

I hope this help,
GIOV

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I watched some YouTube videos. Amazing design and engineering. I'm curious about how something so complex was made without CAD. I understand the process but more details about how designers and engineers worked on projects similar to this would be cool to see.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I watched some YouTube videos. Amazing design and engineering. I'm curious about how something so complex was made without CAD. I understand the process but more details about how designers and engineers worked on projects similar to this would be cool to see.
Similar to this:

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Similar to this:
Yes and for trains, ships or aircraft. I couldn't found any content for mechanical design and engineering from that era. Civil, structural and architectural is easier to find. It is all really interesting to learn about, I can't imagine life without CAD. I started my career in 2008.

Years ago I spent time searching the web after a senior designer coworker explained what it was like moving to CAD.

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I started my career in 2008.
When I started in 1981 in the aerospace industry, the drawing offices consumed huge amounts of office space with all the drawing boards and draws for storing the drawing masters. I still have all my drawings from the drawing training school too! The time it used to take to draw simple parts and specifically draw spines with a pile of weights to hold a long flexible 'edge' in place. All the drawings were done on plastic drawing film, so that they could go through a UV 'copier' to generate the 'blueprints' the fab or assembly workers could work to.

The arrival of CAD and the early days of Catia, reduced 6 drawing offices in our factory to a single office of workstations. Design also changed from drawing, manufacture part, test fit and access in a mock up to all being done in a virtual world ... with more accuracy and speed.

After using CAD for the last 20 years, It's hard to believe the way it used to be done. Still got the rulers off my old drawing board (and all my Rotring ink pens, pencils and text stencils), but instead of drawing with them, I now use them for measuring things that I then CAD up ... in Alibre!