What's new

Update assembly drawing

GordonL

How do I get assembly drawings to update to reflect changes made to individual part drawings? When I make a change to a part and then go back to the assembly drawing it does not reflect these changes. The way I have been doing it is to close the assembly drawing and then open it again. It seem lie there should be some way to regenerate the assembly to reflect these changes.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the assembly open, then open part file separately - that adds another instance of the file to memory, it isn't working on same instance as that showing in the assembly.

You should either 'Edit Here' or 'Edit in separate window' from the assembly to see changes take effect immediately (and avoid risk of overriding changes when saving).

GordonL

OK. If I already have that part open in another window should I close the window which is currently open? I frequently keep the separate part drawings open so that I can go back to them to verify dimensions and design features etc. I frequently do not complete the part drawing until I see how they fit into the general final assembly. If I "edit in separate window" while the drawing is currently open won't I have two instances of the same part?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, best to close the other Window.

You can verify dimensions from the assembly workspace, and edit here, or edit in separate window allows full access to the part features (for verification or edit).

GordonL

OK I understand but not my preferred method. Frequently the features that I am trying to verify or modify are hidden or at least hard to access in the assembly drawing. I will play around with it and see if that works.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
When you say 'drawing' do you really mean 2D drawing, or are you referring to the 3D assembly workspace? It helps if we share the same terminology.

If features are hard to see, use 'Edit in separate window'.

You can always carry on as previously, and close/re-open the assembly (or drawing) to update.

GordonL

I am referring to a 3D drawing. I am doing things like making a base plate and then adding a square block on top of that and then going back to that block and adding features, like mounting holes, cutouts etc. as the overall design progresses. I spent the last 30+ years working with 2D cad and almost everything works differently than I am used to and it is taking a while to adapt my thinking.

Thanks

JimCad

Hi Gordon,
3D things are models. ( Parts or Assemblies of parts)
Sketches to create parts or features can be both 2D & 3D.
Drawings are 2D sheets like your old Paperspace AutoCad drawings.
My mate is an AutoCad guy and frequently referred to models as drawings.
;)

Jim

dwc

Alibre Super User
Hi Gordon,
When working on the parts of an assembly, always use "edit here" or "edit in a separate window" to access the parts.
You can do everything that you can when opening the parts separately, but more importantly everything is kept up-to-date at all times.
Yes, when going from 2D to 3D CAD there are other habits to get into and another vocabulary to be used, but once the first steps are over it goes quick and is worth the effort.
Don

GordonL

The problem is that I worked with my old CAD program for 30+ years and that is hard wired into my old brain. I am 84 years old and now only use CAD for my hobby so weeks may go by when I do not use it at all. I used Visual CADD which used two letter commands and coordinates could be entered directly from the keyboard. I don't know how many times I wanted to draw a circle and entered C2 on the keyboard and expected to have it ask me for X & Y coordinates and diameter. The thing that I have to most problem with is making something too close to where I want it to be then having a problem moving it to the proper location by entering "0" distance. I am used to being able to snap to a position and then enter coordinates relative to that position. It is actually a good thing that I am not trying to make a living making drawings.

JimCad

Familiarity is your friend. The more you do it the more it'll come naturally.
Keep at it Gordon.
Jim

gwbruce

Hang in there Gordon. It took me a while going from 2D CAD to 3D modeling. Like @JimCad said familiarity is your friend. The more you do the more you get used to the work flow. Just try modeling everything you can find. Start with simple 2D drawings of things and turn them into 3D models. The more you do the easier it will be. When I started moving from 2D to 3D I kept saying that I would rather do it in 2D. Now to me it is easier to do in 3D. Don't worry, you will get better the more you use it. If you run into something you can't figure out just hop in the forum. Chances are that someone here has had the same problem at one time or another. You are not alone in your struggle.