What's new

Updated Utilities (V2.1) with Rack and Pinion feature now in resources

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I tried updating to the newest version, but after downloading the file Windows won't let me access it. It says there is a virus found.

I doubt there is a virus, but i'm not sure how to update.

Here is what it shows in the download manager:
Untitled.jpg

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Windows Defender is complaining today about a threat and is refusing to download - it did this a couple of versions back but then was happy a day later. Hopefully a short term issue.

BTW Defender reported Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

Last edited:

bolsover

@Ken226, @albie0803, @DavidJ
I'd like to offer a solution to the 'virus' issue but I don't think there is much I can do other than perhaps making a very small change to the code and recompiling in the hope it doesn't create a new checksum that defender or other AV solution thinks is a virus. I can't afford to buy a code signing certificate and there is no guarantee that this would actually solve the problem anyway.
If it is MS edge browser that is objecting, there is some useful advice here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...oft-edge-0c555609-5bf2-479d-a59d-fb30a0b80b2b
Other solution is to temporarily turn off virus protection ( I use AVG which makes it simple)
If it is defender objecting then see here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...security-99e6004f-c54c-8509-773c-a4d776b77960

All I can really say, is that there is no virus in the code

David

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Chrome faired no better than Edge - I'll leave it for a day or so, in the hope it'll just fix itself like last time. If not I'll turn off Defender to download it...

Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
There are many forums and software FAQ's that I use that are reporting increased detection of Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B, and they are all calling it a false positive. I suspect a recent version of the antivirus signatures isn't quite filtering properly again as this was also a big issue back in 2022 when the signature was subsequently modified to reduce the number of false positives.

It does seem to mainly detect in compressed archives (rar, tar, zip, etc), more than any other type of executable. So, @bolsover , you could try providing an .exe installer on your git site rather than a zip. That might be more successful for some to download.

Sadly for us developers, unless you are a massive corporation, you can't get your application on the virus database whitelist and remove the false positives until it becomes a boarder community issue!

Stu3d

I am getting the virus warning too and then the file is deleted automatically by Windows. Updated Windows and same result, bizarre. I will try at home on a different pc in a minute.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 121511.png
Screenshot 2024-03-19 121558.png

Stu3d

Windows 11 threw up an unrecognised app warning but gave me the choice to run the file anyway, failed attempt above was Windows 10.
Edit: Firefox on both computers.

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I use Chrome. Tried again this morning and still not happening. Chrome and Edge both seem to be automatically deleting it.

I still have an older version that works fine though, just can't update.

bolsover

It does seem to mainly detect in compressed archives (rar, tar, zip, etc), more than any other type of executable. So, @bolsover , you could try providing an .exe installer on your git site rather than a zip. That might be more successful for some to download.
I've just added .rar and .exe to the GitHub release. The .rar and .zip just compressed versions of the .exe hopefully one of these will evade the windows defences!
David

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I've just added .rar and .exe to the GitHub release. The .rar and .zip just compressed versions of the .exe hopefully one of these will evade the windows defences!
David

That worked. I had no problems downloading and installing the .exe.

Thanks David. This utility is fantastic for designing gears.

IE, my dual track 3 lobe, 1/6 ratio radial engine valve train would be so much harder without this tool.

1710867296060.png

Now, if we could get Alibre to give us come cam/follower constraints.

Last edited: