What's new

User meeting results

mub

Re:

swertel said:
I can't believe you don't have a non-disclosure set up preventing you from publicizing all this prior to Alibre's announcement.

Ooops... :oops: From now on i have an agreement. Scott sent me an eMail regarding my delicate posts.
I have got this document a couple moths ago and i didn't know that its not for the public.
I'm very sorry because i dont want to share some informations which i should keep for myself.
I apologise to the Alibre team. In future i'll handle information suchlike with care. :?

Sorry again...

leeave96

Good grief!

What's wrong with letting us know what's on the plate for the next release or 9.x-something release.

It's not like SW is going to copy some feature that is coming in Alibre that most likely already exists in SW.

I say build some excitement by letting us know what's on the horizon!

Bill

swertel

Alibre Super User

You can discuss whatever you want regarding the current release of the software.

For those of us who are involved with user feedback on development of the next version, we are obliged with a non-disclosure agreement.

One myth about an NDA is that it is to protect Alibre from the competition. Well, in areas where Alibre is filling a niche not yet realized by other MCAD vendors, this is true, but usually it deals more with user hype. For example, this thread has discussed increased speed, potential 64-bit, porting to .NET, etc. What if one or all of these don't happen in the timeframe from now until release? All the users, after reading this thread, are planning ahead - buying their 64-bit workstations for example, and now the event doesn't occur. Users are upset that they spent thousands of yen on a workstation that Alibre won't run on. Who's to blame? Alibre never promised the functionality in the new release, but users' hype made everyone forget that is only in planning. The fat lady hadn't sung yet.

I'll stop rambling now. I think everyone gets the point.

sbenzie

I have to say I really did enjoyed this thread, even though maybe some confidencial information was disclosed.

It gave me a feeling of the future, and made me think Alibre are trying hard, this I find interesting.

And its the customer relationship I would love to see more off, giving us a hint of what is being worked on. We all understand deadlines are sometimes not meet and technical difficulties arise.

Regards,
Scott

hul

User Meeting

Hi anybody out there ?
we discussed a lot but we did not hear anything about whats going on from ALIBRE !!

Please give us some input about the SPEED Problems we discussed at this Meeting in Zürich.

Pleeeees !!!!!

hul :twisted:

lcguias

Hi,

Hul is right. Were is Alibre?
If you go thru the postings looks like speed is a big issue.
Is this not important for Alibre, to at list give us an hint ?

I remember the times when you had a problem and you will get a call in 1hour.

Dan

swertel

Alibre Super User

This isn't an Alibre support site, this a peer-to-peer support site sponsored by Alibre. To get your one-hour response, submit a problem report or contact the Alibre Assistant. A phone call into Alibre works wonders, too.

mub

They're already working on the speed problem. It seems to be very important for them to increase the speed in 2D drawings. It's a priority. :wink:

smartka

Re:

mub said:
They're already working on the speed problem. It seems to be very important for them to increase the speed in 2D drawings. It's a priority. :wink:

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. Alibre seem to offer a great deal of 'bang for your buck' as a 3D solid modeller, and many people I know of who use Alibre think it's a great, competitevly priced, 3D package compared to other more expensive mid-range packages. I think Alibre have got the 3D side pretty much sussed, however the 2D side really does need focussing on, as at present it can be almost un-usable on large assy drawings. In my opinion this should be the easy bit. One shouldn't have to perform lots of 'tweaks' to settings to enable the 2D side to function. If this aspect was focussed on prior to the next release I feel Alibre would have the market it operates in well and truly clinched. :roll:

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Excuse me in advance, because I am going to rant :twisted:

I sure hope that we can see the speed increase soon. The work that I am doing is becoming nailbiting waiting on the computer. Even opening and closing BOMs is slow.

Please hurry with the speed.

cdub

a thought on speed and "direction"

If MS is the reason for the speed issues, why get further in bed w/ MS technology?

Why not go the other direction, and go Linux?

Linux is free or cheap, highly reliable, great on older hardware, and has all of the main applications a person would really need. Writing a plug in to integrate OpenOffice couldn't be too hard.

Plus, if you had some proprietary software that you absolutely had to have Windows for, you could always dual boot to keep it around.

I think I've made similar statements before here, but I thought I'd throw it out here again as a serious option.

alexfranke

I don't think moving to .Net is getting "further in bed w/ MS" at all... The framework and CLI are indended to be implemented on other platforms (e.g. check out the opensource Mono for Linux) in much the same was as Java. I've written a number of .Net applications that run just fine in Linux.

Also, Microsoft is replacing their aging Windows API with WinFX (pronounced like "win-effects") which should speed things up a bit in Windows platforms. WinFX is a superset of .Net and WinAPI, which will allow us developers to directly access more of what Windows can natively do. It'll be in their newest OS and they'll be backporting it to XP, and other recent OS's.

Just my US$0.02. ;)

-Alex

p.s. cdub makes good points about Linux. Personally I love it, too. For those of you that haven't tried it out, there are "Live CD" versions you can download and run without touching your hard drive or Windows installation. Just burn a CD with the Linux distro, put in in your CD drive and reboot. Boom -- you're in LinuxLand where you can play around all you want. To get back to Windows as if nothing had ever happened, just remove the CD and reboot again. There are TONS of linux flavors to choose from... I like Knoppix and Ubuntu / Kubuntu. With some distros, you can even carry your own OS around with you on a memory key... 8) 8)

warburton1

Off topic a little but just to add to AlexFrankes comment about Live CD's of Linux, for those that are interested check out CAELinux a complete Live installation that includes several very useful CAE applications, including Code Aster (French) FEA tool, Salome (French/English) pre and post processor, Calculix (FEA) and Gmsh (pre and post processor) amongst others.

Back on topic I agree speed in 2D drawings is getting to be a real issue, I can't seem to add any level of consistency to why or when it will start slowing down, however, one thing I have noticed Windows Defender (beta), does SLOW Alibre down!

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

warburton1 said:
however, one thing I have noticed Windows Defender (beta), does SLOW Alibre down!

Gary, that is very good to know. I just changed to Windows Defender beta (from MS Antispyware beta) on all my PC's not too long ago.

What do you do to get around this?

warburton1

The slow down usually starts when Defender starts a scan (to be expected I guess), however, even after the scan has been completed Alibre seems to still run slow. Closing Alibre and restarting does improve the performance. So far I have only noticed it in the 2D drawing mode. I have Spybot S&D running on my workstation, but that runs in what I think they call "imunize mode", for the most part preventing adware / spyware from loading, but wanted to try Defender out so I installed it on my new laptop.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

warburton1 said:
The slow down usually starts when Defender starts a scan (to be expected I guess), however, even after the scan has been completed Alibre seems to still run slow. Closing Alibre and restarting does improve the performance. So far I have only noticed it in the 2D drawing mode. I have Spybot S&D running on my workstation, but that runs in what I think they call "imunize mode", for the most part preventing adware / spyware from loading, but wanted to try Defender out so I installed it on my new laptop.

OK that makes more sense. After your post, I disabled the real-time protection of Windows Defender but I did not notice any performance improvement in Alibre. So, I have turned it back on. My scan in Defender is set to go off in the middle of the night (hopefully I am not working on Alibre at that time).

lcguias

Hi,

I believe that the speed issue is more complicated.

Last week I sent some files(one assy , 2D and 3D) to Alibre, complaining (again) about the speed.

The 2D file is 21Mb. The 3D file is 5Mb.

For sure the speed problem is becouse of the size and until Alibre fix this we will have to live with it.

Dan

PS AA, said that he can not read the 2D without having the 3D. For a long time I was under the impresion that the only reason for 2D beeing so large compare with the 3D, is becouse contains all the info?!

indesign

Alibre Super User

I wonder if it would be a good request to unlink a drawing or if you should export to dwg/dxf for that type of thing? Anyhow it does seem to be causing some long delays based on interferences in the 3d assembly and isometric views with helical extrusions show some of the back of the form through the iso drawing.