What's new

v2019 - zoom glitch? - Fixed in Update

tk1247

Please check 2019.0.2 released August 2, 2019 which should address this issue. Issue was related to the 0 px setting for Hide Small Faces functioning improperly.
Sorry, Max, but the fix doesn't seem to have helped the issue I saw, where hidden features that are visible zoomed out become invisible zoomed in. It also still displays the same quirk that clicking on Shaded option fixes it temporarily, until you reload the file or select another view option, then it returns. Also, I note that the Hide Small Faces slider defaults to 0 pixels - not sure if it was there before.
Tom

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, Max, but the fix doesn't seem to have helped the issue I saw, where hidden features that are visible zoomed out become invisible zoomed in. It also still displays the same quirk that clicking on Shaded option fixes it temporarily, until you reload the file or select another view option, then it returns. Also, I note that the Hide Small Faces slider defaults to 0 pixels - not sure if it was there before.
Tom

This fix addresses the originally posted issue, which is that parts with small faces can disappear, by design, when they reach a certain threshold size. The issue in the original post is that despite setting that threshold to 0 pixels, in other words effectively disabling the performance option of face culling, face culling continued to occur. This happened due to a bug in the 0 value code.

Your issue is different, and I'm not sure what it is to be honest, without some kind of screenshot or file.

Can you describe the geometry that you are seeing this on in broad terms? For example, do you have 2 thin sheets mated to eachother, one with holes, and when you look on the one without holes you see holes through it? What units is the imported assembly in? What is the relative size of the panels? Etc.

I tried the above and it reproduces your issue. From what I can tell, this feels like a rounding issue that might occur on very thin parts very close to eachother, and from playing with it, it seems quite sensitive to the thicknesses. For example, if you make a sheet .01" thick and then put something behind it, then zoom out, you can see the stuff immediately behind it. When zoomed way in, the .01" sheet might take up 10 pixels of thickness let's say, but when you zoom way out it may take up .003 pixels of depth. My assumption is that getting into these subpixel scenarios is causing this as there is probably some lower bound of precision that is getting capped. We'll take a look. Good news is that this is very geometry specific and doesn't feel that typical to get into.

Last edited:

tk1247

This fix addresses the originally posted issue, which is that parts with small faces can disappear, by design, when they reach a certain threshold size. The issue in the original post is that despite setting that threshold to 0 pixels, in other words effectively disabling the performance option of face culling, face culling continued to occur. This happened due to a bug in the 0 value code.

Your issue is different, and I'm not sure what it is to be honest, without some kind of screenshot or file.

Can you describe the geometry that you are seeing this on in broad terms? For example, do you have 2 thin sheets mated to eachother, one with holes, and when you look on the one without holes you see holes through it? What units is the imported assembly in? What is the relative size of the panels? Etc.

I tried the above and it reproduces your issue. From what I can tell, this feels like a rounding issue that might occur on very thin parts very close to eachother, and from playing with it, it seems quite sensitive to the thicknesses. For example, if you make a sheet .01" thick and then put something behind it, then zoom out, you can see the stuff immediately behind it. When zoomed way in, the .01" sheet might take up 10 pixels of thickness let's say, but when you zoom way out it may take up .003 pixels of depth. My assumption is that getting into these subpixel scenarios is causing this as there is probably some lower bound of precision that is getting capped. We'll take a look. Good news is that this is very geometry specific and doesn't feel that typical to get into.

Max, I tried to explain this in a post on 7/26 - what you're describing is very close to what I observed. Perhaps you didn't see it. Here's the original post:

"After thinking about it a bit more, I'm wondering if I'm experiencing something related to what you were talking about elsewhere, that is an issue related to transparency planes. I've figured out that the part that other features are showing through at low zoom and disappearing at high zoom is a very thin sheet (0.2mm) in a total assembly that is hundreds of mm's deep in Z. Could it be that with a finite number of transparency layers, that this thin sheet is going essentially transparent when the number of layers must display over the entire Z of the assembly, and as I zoom in, the very thin piece can now become less transparent? I hope I'm describing what I'm thinking clearly. The part is set for 100% opacity.
I don't see this with thicker parts or less complicated assemblies."

This was an assembly dwg that I inputted into AD as a step file, then saved as a package. The sheet that features show through is 0.2mm thick, opaque, and on top of a much thicker sheet. I had reasoned, similar to what you said, that the thickness of that sheet was very small compared to the underlying part, and somehow as a result exhibited this behavior. I agree it isn't a show stopper and seems geometry related, but is an anomaly. Do you think your explanation is also related to the behavior I observed where I reselect Shaded and it alternately is fixed then comes back?
Thanks for your continued attention to this issue. Also, as I said before, I'm not sure I can share the particular file. I'll see if I can further details.
Tom

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hey tk, no I don't think we need your file. It's quite easy to reproduce once you know how. To be honest I had a lot going on and was focused on stuff with pictures first, which is my bad.

In any case, we will look at this soon because it seems fixable and for those that have this geometry it would be annoying. Thanks for pointing it out and hope to have some news in a week to 3.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Please check 2019.0.2 released August 2, 2019 which should address this issue. Issue was related to the 0 px setting for Hide Small Faces functioning improperly.
Fixed! - thanks.
Not to push my luck but is there any news on the 'opacity glitch..' I reported?

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Fixed! - thanks.
Not to push my luck but is there any news on the 'opacity glitch..' I reported?
This opacity glitch is still with us in HOOPS mode. Zoom out and the part is transparent (set at 35% or so) - zoom in and the part becomes totally opaque. Is this still being looked at Max?

I don't think the topic title should be marked as 'fixed'.

Attachments

• not visible.png
    not visible.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 13
  • visible.png
    visible.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 13

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff - I think I found your item in the Development system, looks like a suggested fix from Techsoft only partly addresses the issue, so it has been passed back to them for further study. The issue is currently in the v22 sprint, with 'critical' priority, but isn't totally in Alibre's own hands, so no guarantees.