What's new

v27 extra crashy?

I am having a much higher than normal amount of crashes. It can be trying open a file, edit a sketch, work in an assembly, I haven't detected a specific task that is a trigger. Running on a laptop and alibre is using the nvidia gaming card not the intel.

Ex Machina

Have you verified that it uses the Nvidia GPU? Have you left the Task Manager open to verify that as you spin a part the GPU graph jumps?

I have a bug in my laptop where I need to assign Alibre to the APU for the NVidia GPU to work. Might be an outlier but easy enough to check! This happens with both my Asus laptops although I haven't heard anyone else report it.

Ex Machina

OK, cool. Check that you have the latest drivers installed. For example when rotating assemblies my card doesn't go over 25-30%

RTX3060 laptop with 6GB

Ex Machina

Could be if the GPU doesn't have enough VRAM. But maybe someone else can be have a better idea of why it's crashing.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
There are a number of logs that Alibre writes and any issues it sees are logged there. You may want to speak to support as they may want copies of the logs to see what is going on internally. If it was a graphics driver, then I would expect you to see issues with other applications too.

Log directory can be found in the Home Window under the Utilities tab ...

1692912957326.png

Notermans

since the update 27 aliber crashes several times in a row it then suddenly disappeared on the screen with no warning
the 3d mouse doesn't work either
because I opened some drawings in 27 I can't go back to 26
what's wrong here
Kind regards, Jos Notermans

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If using a laptop with dual graphics adapters, you have to set v27 to use the high performance adapter (the setting does not carry over from previous versions).

ynnek

I have had v27 get very laggy, then just disappear. Two different machines. I Thinkstation Xeon workstation and a Thinkpad Laptop.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have had v27 get very laggy,
What do you mean by 'laggy'?

Mine has frozen up for a few seconds in sketch mode while applying a dimension or changing the viewing position. I don't know why it freezes while dimensioning but the issue of freezing while changing the view could be a symptom of the 3D Space Navigator driver and the mouse driver in conflict. I have tried moving the mouse out of the workspace while I am using the Space Navigator to see if that helps. It does but only slightly.

I recall having the same issue back on v24 or 25 (???) and it cleared up in v26. Why it's back with v27 is anyone's guess. My next step is to try a complete re-install of v27 later tonight, that is if I can get the uninstall/Remove function to remove all of the v27 stuff. I just removed v26 and had to manually remove some left over folders, all the contents were removed but the folders were left. I even found some v25 folders that hadn't been removed.:rolleyes:

ynnek

Usually in sketch mode, After I have re-entered a previously created sketch and start making dimensional changes, then it just goes away. I do not even get a dialogue when I re-open Alibre, that it closed without saving previous data. I have also had this same experience editing parts while in an assembly, in a different window.

Toybuilder

I have had v27 get very laggy, then just disappear. Two different machines. I Thinkstation Xeon workstation and a Thinkpad Laptop.
I have been spending several focused days modeling a project and have noticed that the interactions, on V27, was getting pretty laggy. Hover-highlighting or sketch operations would update on screen about half a second behind the mouse activity.

Then while working on some constraints, I decided to turn on split-window viewing so that I can zoom in on features in one pane while retaining the zoomed-out view in another, and then it suddenly became super responsive.

Curious, I played around resizing the active 3D-view area within Alibre by either adjusting the split-screen divider position or the application window size, instead of running maximized on my 4K display. There seems to be some kind of a "tipping point" where things would get very laggy, while reizing a little smaller and it would be very responsive again, and then resizing larger would get laggy again.

Since rebooting my machine, Alibre is very responsive, even running maximized.

At the time, I did have other programs (Altium for electronics design, TurboCAD for some 2D/3D CAD work) running (but idle) that also heavily uses the GPU, so maybe there was some resource limit that I was hitting?

Anyway, for anyone else having laggy-ness issues, I suggest playing around with the window size or rebooting (or closing other applications) to see if that helps.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
have been spending several focused days modeling a project and have noticed that the interactions, on V27, was getting pretty laggy. Hover-highlighting or sketch operations would update on screen about half a second behind the mouse activity.
What?? Only a half second lag? I've been suffering with up to a couple of seconds or longer. And that is without any other apps running. I always run AD in a normal window and not maximized. That's a lot of screen to cover and move the mouse over on my 31.5 monitor. I hadn't thought of changing the window size to see if that made any difference. I have had a support ticket in for a few days and have been following a few suggestions from support like updating all drivers and recently trying to adjust the graphics display settings, which had no effect. I don't recall this problem in v26. I don't know what happened with v27 to introduce this new issue.

I will give changing the window size a try and see if that helps any. Thanks for the tip.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I have an and older 5k iMac and I have problems when scaled at 200% and 150%. At 125% things are tiny, but without problems doing the same tasks.

This maybe fixed by changing the dpi scaling settings of Alibre Design.exe in the properties, under compatibility, then settings and click Change high DPI settings button. I try different settings at different scales. The UI/UX haul maybe to address these issues.

At 125% the issues go away on my machine. You should restart after changes to scaling and display settings.

Attachments

• 1695621712934.png
    1695621712934.png
    73 KB · Views: 12
  • 1695621731774.png
    1695621731774.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 12

NateH

What?? Only a half second lag? I've been suffering with up to a couple of seconds or longer. And that is without any other apps running. I always run AD in a normal window and not maximized. That's a lot of screen to cover and move the mouse over on my 31.5 monitor. I hadn't thought of changing the window size to see if that made any difference. I have had a support ticket in for a few days and have been following a few suggestions from support like updating all drivers and recently trying to adjust the graphics display settings, which had no effect. I don't recall this problem in v26. I don't know what happened with v27 to introduce this new issue.

I will give changing the window size a try and see if that helps any. Thanks for the tip.
I have the same problem. On my new pc at first it wasn't laggy. I tried resetting windows but that didn't do any thing.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I haven't got v27, but I do find v26 quite laggy. I find I have to slow down my workflow when using Alibre as I can't just move the mouse over a button (i.e. dimension in 2d sketch) click and go back to the editing, I have to hover over the button for half a second or so otherwise Alibre doesn't recognise I clicked on that button.

It's been like that for quite a few versions prior to v26, but there have been minor improvements (and I've upgraded my RAM to eliminate external factors). Yet, I still have to hover over an edge or sketch item for a noticeable and 'perceptible' length of time before it highlights. Can't comment on v27, but unless there have been major dev efforts to address performance and UI responsiveness, then I suspect what you see in v27 has always been there.

No other application I use (the graphic and CAD ones include MOI 3D, CorelDraw, Blender, SketchUp, Pulsonix) is noticeably 'behind' the user as much as Alibre is! ... and I have mentioned that in many posts over the years.

I'm not sure how Alibre quantify their UI performance, but I personally don't find it keeps up with me and that can be very frustrating at times.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
What baffles me is that AD will be performing adequately for a while then all of a sudden it just starts lagging or freezing the display. That can happen while performing an extrusion where it takes a while for it to either bring up the dialog or perform the operation after hitting OK. Sometimes while zooming in on a view the display will just freeze for a few seconds. That happens whether I am using the wheel on the mouse to zoom or the Space Navigator. :confused::confused::confused:

I don' think this has anything to do with the amount of ram I have on the computer or the graphics card or the cpu. This is a new system that was selected to run KeyShot and should handle Alibre without any problems. I have also updated all the drivers and Windows as provided by Windows Update.

I played around resizing the active 3D-view area within Alibre
I tried resizing the workspace but didn't see a noticeable improvement, there was still the occasional lag.

I am waiting for a reply from Support on the last email I sent in with testing results.

As point of reference, here are my system specs:
video card stats.jpg
pc stats.jpg