What's new

v27 extra crashy?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
On a 5120 x 2880 display res...
- At 200% and 150% display scales I see the most issues with freezing and lagging of the 3D viewport. With and without my 3D mouse.
- At 125% it is much less or not as noticeable.
As I mentioned changing the dpi settings can help. It did on my 4k laptop.
On my desktop PC there weren't any issues I can recall when I had v26 installed.

Last edited:

Toybuilder

I recorded Alibre running maximized and not maximized on my 4K display -- you can see a big difference in how sluggish it gets at full size.

Toybuilder

My eyes can't work comfortably at 100%, but I did try it, restarting Alibre running in 100% -- the same problem -- when maximized, it's quite sluggish, but as the application window gets smaller, it becomes more responsive.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
My eyes can't work comfortably at 100%, but I did try it, restarting Alibre running in 100% -- the same problem -- when maximized, it's quite sluggish, but as the application window gets smaller, it becomes more responsive.
Ok, that was a test. Try making the window as large as possible without maximizing the window. It maybe related to maximizing the whole application to the screen.

Toybuilder

It's not from being maximized, per se -- it just obviously shows up when maximized. If the window is large enough, the sluggish behavior kicks in.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I hope all this information is getting to Development so they can figure out what the root cause is. I just did a test for Support by resetting my AD back to the Legacy display. (That used to be the go to option for display issues.) I was able to work for about a hour without any lag or freeze. Now if Development can take that along with what they already have from previous display issues, and find a permanent fix that would be great.

Along the way I thought I had broken AD when I somehow clicked and dragged the file menu out of its normal position at the top of the workspace. With a little experimenting, I was able to dock it on the side of the workspace and back at the top. I could find nothing in the Help about the menu being dockable but it's nice to know.

Menu in its normal position:

1696005211033.png

Menu undocked:

1696005253890.png

Menu on the side of a maximized window:

1696005398960.png

Toybuilder

I think it's the antialiasing. I turned them off today and things were much faster even when maximized. Turn antialiasing back on and it was sluggish again.
1696017771563.png

Toybuilder

Curiouser and curiouser...
If I go to system options and turn on antialiasing, Alibre becomes sluggish as I've mentioned earlier.
If I then open NVidia control panel and fiddle with the antialias settings for the Alibre profile, it speeds up quite a bit.
Even when I then revert the setting to application-controlled, once I've fiddled with the settings within the NVidia control panel, Alibre seems to stay reasonably fast.

If I then go back to system options and turn off anti-aliasing and then turn anti-aliasing back on again, Alibre becomes slow yet again.
1696018499719.png

Last edited:

Toybuilder

1696018848087.png
Doing this seems to be a usable compromise -- it's a little sluggish, but far more responsive than the default behavior.