What's new

V9 DXF export???

mmunzer

V9 DXF export???

Are there others who are having a problem with DXF exports from drawings in V9?

I never had any problems with V8.2, but as soon as I have installed V9, the DXFs I get out of Alibre have lots of errors...

Best regards,

Marc

mmunzer

The hatches are different in the alibre drawing than in the exported DXF, lines which are connected in the drawing in alibre are no longer connected in the dxf drawing, etc...

I never had problems with 8.2, so I assume that there is some sort of bug in V9.

Best regards,

Marc

Auspex

When I export to dxf or dwg it blows my dimensions all over the place. Even inverts a lot of them?

This is a new problem with V9 that did not encounter with 8.2

rwalborn

dxf export

I had the same problem. Soem dimensions are upside down. I also found the BOM are missing lines and the text is too big.

gregmilliken

DXF Export issue identified; Service Pack coming

Hi All,

We have replicated the DXF export problem in house and are working on it now.

A Service Pack will be coming shortly to address this. We will let you as soon as it is ready but I am hopeful it will be very soon.

I apologize for this issue getting by us and the inconvenience it is causing.

Thanks,
Greg Milliken
Alibre, Inc.

gregmilliken

DXF Export issue identified; Service Pack coming

Hi All,

We have replicated the DXF export problem in house and are working on it now.

A Service Pack will be coming shortly to address this. We will let you as soon as it is ready but I am hopeful it will be very soon.

I apologize for this issue getting by us and the inconvenience it is causing.

Thanks,
Greg Milliken
Alibre, Inc.

mmunzer

Is there anyway to go back to 8.2 while we wait for a fix? dxf export is really important to me.

Or do you have any idea how long it will take to get the fix? I can wait a couple of days, but if it takes longer, then I need to know so that I can go back to 8.2

Best regards,

Marc

gregmilliken

We should have a ZAP pack by early next week, I am hoping for Monday but it could be a day or so longer. This will ultimately result in a Service Pack but we want to get the easily deployable zap pack out right away.

In the meantime, or after that you can indeed move back to V8.2, but designs created in 9.0 are not backward compatible, although you can export STEP and get the geometry back without features. Not such a great option I know, but it is one path back.

Support will have instructions for efficiently moving you back to V8.2 if you have to move back now. I will look into posting them here too.

Thanks,
Greg

Re:

gregmilliken said:
...although you can export STEP and get the geometry back without features. Not such a great option I know, but it is one path back.

I tried to do this and I received this message...

Warning-File Version is Unsupported...com.alibre.rose.RoseException: imported file version: 9,0,0,9238 is higher than current Alibre version: 8,2,0,9072...File was not imported due to errors.

I was somewhat successful by opening up the .stp files of an 8.2 and 9.0 export where...

The third line from the end of the file in 8.2 contains this text...
#67902=SCHEMAVERSION('PRODUCTVERSION 8,2,0,9072','ROSEUtils.dll [Version: 8.0.0.1019]');

The third line from the end of the file in 9.0 contains this text...
#5567=SCHEMAVERSION('PRODUCTVERSION 9,0,0,9238','ROSEUtils.dll [Version: 9.0.0.1022]');

I did a copy and paste of the version numbers and was able to import the file back into 8.2 [a loft with 17 sketches on 17 different planes] except the planes were all stacked up on top of the xy plane...ie they had lost their z coordinates.

By editing each plane I was able to get the model back in place...which was easier than redrawing the 17 sketches.

Good luck...
Steve

gregmilliken

Thanks Steve. I really appreciate your willingness to jump right in and help us out.

I think you may have saved in the Alibre STEP format, which is actually an extended version of STEP that contains the complete parameters, features and history associated with the model, and is therefore version dependent. When one chooses Export this is the default option.

To avoid the version dependence, you must use STEP AP203 or AP214 both of which are options of the Export feature.

If you try this I suspect you will find the files will import into V8.2 without an issue, however, the models will simply be geometry with no features, parameters, etc. as mentioned in my post above.

-Greg

Comment reguarding version dependent STEP

As it pertains to the information represented in this press release...

http://www.alibre.com/news/pr/pr20020814.asp

I don't understand how "the industry" will be able to follow a "Standard" set by Alibre Design if this company changes their standard when they create a new version.

I think that If I were a developer in the industry I would have a difficult time shooting at this moving target.

indesign

Alibre Super User

It looks like adding features most all of the customers have requested requires adding information to the file that would cause problems in older versions.

If this is going to be a problem then maybe we shouldn't ask for more features? Or maybe at some point a company has to jump forward with what is requested and make a leap into what is going to cuase backward compatability issues. Isn't all the other companies doing the same thing?

Well I do have one suggestion that could make this easy instead of a complaint issue.

Please make a export to version 8 so the customers can save to older systems. This would of course strip certain new features from the file when exported but would be better than a dumb solid.

Sorry if this sounded like a complaint...it wasn't meant to be.

I'm not quite sure why the STEP schema had to change...maybe because I don't completly understand how the configurations work.

I assume that where there are multiple configurations only one can be selected [active] at a time. If you export to .stp it should export as if there were only one configuration [the active one] and this should be no different than the files that 8.2 output/input.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than I could explain.

I can understand why the AD_PRT files would be different because they would need to incorporate the multiple definations that are internally described for this new feature.

gregmilliken

The industry standard format for STEP as defined by ISO does not provide support for the additional information created by parametric modelers such as features, history and so on.

As a result, the Alibre STEP schema has been created by Alibre. We published it as part of our vision to provide an industry standard format to support full geometry, parameters, features, history and so on. This is a long term vision Alibre has that hopefully will ultimately come to pass. This is good for everyone, except I suppose other CAD vendors who wish to create barriers to migrating data from one system to another.

We extend the format further as we add new features to Alibre Design. That is why it changes. You should use the AP203 or AP214 formats to exchange model data (geometry only) from a later version to an earlier version, or with other CAD systems.

Tim...thanks for the helpful suggestion related to a V8.2 export. I know maintaining ongoing support for earlier versions can be challenging, and it would contend for resources that might be doing other things, but I will explore it with our development team.

-Greg

warburton1

I've had some problems with the DXF and DWG translation from an Alibre drawing. The drawings when translated, lose lots data with lines curves and splines dissappearing. I can only confirm what the drawing looks like when I import it back into Alibre, so either the export is coming out wrong or the import option is causing issues. Never had a problem previously, however, I don't often create DXF/DWG drawings. Just wondering whether this might be an ID 10 T error or related to the DXF issue related here.

Thanks

gregmilliken

Hi Marc,

Yes, we made great progress over the weekend and we are very close. We're checking on one more issue and doing some final testing. I am hopeful the zap pack will be ready tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks,
Greg

ericle

DXF Issues/Bugs

Hello Greg,

From your posts I can see that you are monitoring this topic. Can you please provide an update?

I need to release some drawings and the vendors I use require the DXF format for the drawings. Until this is fixed, I am dead in the water!

-Eric