What's new

Version 22 Preview - Update

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Max,
The image scale also are based in reference points and able to move in each 2D and/or 3D sketches?
Thanks in advance,
GIOV

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Max,
The image scale also are based in reference points and able to move in each 2D and/or 3D sketches?
Thanks in advance,
GIOV
From the video, it looks like they are fully scaleable and can be positioned on the target plane ...

upload_2020-7-15_19-34-14.png

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Thanks Simon,
Right now I understand but for me is very fast the reference points instead to resized the scale by x,y and angle.
upload_2020-7-15_12-57-31.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MKR

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Right now I understand but for me is very fast the reference points instead to resized the scale by x,y and angle.
There are some other buttons on the Tracing Image dialog, but I guess we don't get to find out what they do yet! They maybe helpers to take some of the guess work out of scaling, positioning, etc.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
My guess is that you would still need some sketch geometry of known size to scale the image to. Otherwise it would just be a guess to get the correct image scale.
As for the X Scale and Y Scale, it would be helpful if there was a "lock" to keep the aspect ration of the image, unless that is what the slider is for.

... What you describe is probably going to take place in v23 or v24.
:(:(:(

Max

Administrator
Staff member

GIOV - the button Calibrate Size will allow you to click 2 points on the image and then enter in a dimension - that will scale the image. I did not show that in the video because it is still being implemented, but yes, you can auto scale the image based on clicking 2 points and entering a dimension. It is not a stored value - it is just used temporarily to find the right scale factor.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Ok, Thanks for the clarification. For my particular case it's better 3 points to avoid the angle that gives some error margin.

Drutort

wow

I am impressed. I do like everything that is shown like others.
Personally I would be happy with what was shown to be released sooner, and other features pushed back?

To me personally the Modeling & Interaction and drawings are key features that would take priority over other areas. I believe Alibre has been and I hope it stays is the ease of use and how user friendly the software is, and with that I think the core views should be at the priority of improvements, and I see that being done, so that is assuring.

I know we shouldn't mention other things not here (v22), but since I see so many areas getting updated and improved, I and many others are still waiting for full keyboard/mouse customizing especially of critical aspects. In regards of rename, delete, copy, paste etc... I am sure that simple keyboard mapping is a lot simpler then actual feature copy/cut/paste (honestly with features - sketch, part model - I would be happy with option to duplicate, and have an x that its a duplicate and not rendered until modified)

Why copy/paste (duplicate?) simple sometimes you are working with things that are very similar, and need to change only few values,(a good example is mirror parts left/right) having to redo all that work just for a small change, is time wasted, then add global param, and wow all of a sudden you can get amazingly fast parts

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Why copy/paste (duplicate?) simple sometimes you are working with things that are very similar, and need to change only few values,(a good example is mirror parts left/right) having to redo all that work just for a small change,
Alibre Design currently has many tools available for this including:
Catalog Features,
Configurations,
Mirror Features,
Part Boolean Features,
Part Scale/Mirror,
Assembly Mirror,
And possibly others.

Make a new topic for help with specifics.

Drutort

Alibre Design currently has many tools available for this including:
Catalog Features,
Configurations,
Mirror Features,
Part Boolean Features,
Part Scale/Mirror,
Assembly Mirror,
And possibly others.

Make a new topic for help with specifics.

Thank you, but I am aware of those features.

I do not wish to go into detail, but their have been situations where having a copy/duplicate works best, an example is arc/rad/fillets where some combinations or sequence depends on order and the features will fail to be created, the edges or faces change etc... In those situations I would use a configuration and suppress one or more of them and create a new feature for that specific config, and thus when toggle between configs, some will toggle suppressed vs active etc... duplicating sketches and or whole features has its advantages in early stages where you do not have things set and want to quickly toggle between active and suppressed features before going into config or global param

without giving detailed examples as to when and why things would be better with a specific feature, I guess that is hard for some users to justify the need, and this is not the thread to talk about it.

At a glance, both the sketch snapping and multi-sheet PDF features look really great. Excited to see what else surfaces in v22.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
With regards the new Excel based threads, I welcome the newer flexibility, but would personally like to have seen a Material Editor Dialog type approach with import/export, and the validation (and possible preview visualisation) that a dialog based editor offers ... hopefully as threads progress to the next level! I presume the help will detail the format of the Excel worksheet and specify what data needs to be present in which cells.

Is there a migration tool to get from the current default/custom .thd file to the new .xlsx format??

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon - the provided Excel file has several worksheets and a 'Do Not Change' sheet. The Do Not Change sheet holds some information to drive drop downs on the sheets defining each thread.

In each thread worksheet, there are headings which are fairly clear if you know anything about threads. Cells with grey backgrounds may be left blank (information not currently used by Alibre Design). Max explained most of the other options in the video - he didn't mention the 'favourites' column; adding 'Yes' in a particular cell there adds the thread to a favourites area at the top of the listing (handy if you mainly use say 2 or 3 threads from a series, but still want easy access to the rest of the series).

Any thread worksheet can be copied to provide the framework for a new sheet holding data for a new series.

There isn't a 'default' thd file currently in Alibre Design - so that doesn't need to be migrated to Excel. Just any custom file that you might have. v22 remains internally aware of the 'old' definitions, so threads in existing models will still work.

I'm sure more information / tips will be provided in due course.

Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
Max explained
or told also if somebody wants to share thread definition tables or workbooks...
Do you have information about how it will be managed to don't get doublettes or to avoid overridden own threads?
Regards
Stefan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Stefan, I don't want to say too much just now - when creating some worksheets for the new file and merging them in, I did run into some small unexpected issues which were fed back to QA. I don't know for certain yet if they will lead to any additional 'tweaks' before release, or will just be reflected in the 'how not to' instructions. These were essentially Excel related issues, and about understanding what is expected in the file.

Avoiding duplicates will be a matter of not entering the same series twice. Editing the thread file will be essentially a manual process - so there is an opportunity for checking. It'll be up to the user to follow a logical process when adding new threads (probably starting with making a backup before doing any editing!).

If things do go wrong, there is an option to 'restore the default file' (the one that ships with Alibre Design).

Editing thread files isn't going to be an everyday activity - that's one reason why it was decided to use Excel (or equivalent apps) to do the editing, rather than divert Development resource away from other priorities to produce a fully integrated dialogue.

WdstJG

Max

I checked out your webpage with all the videos of new features, some are labeled "soon", "big" or no label. What do these designations mean in terms of release date.

Thanks
John

Max

Administrator
Staff member
He's looking at alibre.com/mrenew/ - this is a page intended to be viewed only via a special link that you would typically see in an email - the special link would have information about your license expiration date, type, etc. which drives this page to dynamically display content based on your license. If you just go look at it manually, it may not make a ton of sense why it exists.

For example, you could try https://www.alibre.com/mrenew?date=1-1-2019 , implying your maintenance expired Jan 1, 2019, for an idea of the dynamic nature.

"soon" means the upcoming release - a few weeks.

"Big" means already released features that might be considered to be cornerstone features of past releases. When we release v22, some of the "Soon" will change to "Big" and some will change to no label.