What's new

Version 9 problem poll

If you loaded version 9 are you having problems?

• Yes. Major problems (please list them in a response).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but the problems are annoying but not major. (list problems)

• No. I use many of Alibre's capabilities. I have not found a single problem.

• No. But, I don't use many of the advanced options or I have not had a chance to test it much.

• I have not loaded version 9.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Version 9 problem poll

For the "lurkers" that have not loaded version 9 and are wanting an analytical approach: a poll of the degree of problems.

delboy

Hi

I am one of those "Lurkers " who have not down loaded V9 yet.

I have struggled with Alibre since I 1st bought it (V7) generating 2D drawings

I have seen discussions about "memory leaks" not being a computer nerd ( there is more to life) the only bloody leak I am interested in is if the roof leaks.

But what I am interested in is, sofware generating 2D drawings withtin a reasonable amount of time without having a client looking over my shoulder getting frustrated with me and the the sofware because it is taking ages to load, and then when loaded hangs up my computer and crashes the system ( very often)

It is all very well having pretty models , configurations etc but I have to produce 2D drawings so someone can make the item.

I feel that I will not load V9 as I am living with the problem at the moment. However this could be the end of the road

I am not prepared to fork out money on expensive hardware every time there is an upgrade and as I have another package that works well with no problems If they have not fixed the problems with generating 2D drawings
It could be goodbye time Alibre, come PTC Pro Engineer all is forgiven

Delboy

jbeard

I voted that the upgrade caused problems, but not major problems. However, I would probably consider it very major had my server repository not been backed up (still researching this one).

The only other issue I have had from the upgrade was on my office computer. I let it automatically upgrade upon starting Alibre and everything worked well. However, upon the next restart of Alibre it began prompting me for the "Alibre Design.msi" file. I thought no big deal, but I could never make it happy with whatever version of that file I pointed it too. Finally I uninstalled alibre and all it's add-ons and downloaded the v9 installer and that worked fine.

I have not re-loaded photorender or the part library yet though on any of my machines.

bobster

1. Automatic update failed, prompted for the missing .msi file.Manual download and update OK. I rate this annoying
2. Cadalog parts issue, took new manual install, had 2 in add-ons pull down, had to deselect the non-working version. I rate this annoying, verging on frustrating, until I found the answer in this forum.
3. Visual Mill is still not working, since it's only a toy, I rate this annoying.
4. All add-ons required manual update, Designcheck went OK, ModelPress went OK. Why, with increasing maintainence cost, must we struggle at all with a planned upgrade? I rate this as annoying.

warburton1

I have had several problems with the software, post update, these have ranged from the mildly annoying to the more severe "What happened there" stuff. Significantly, some imported step files from Catia V5, that worked fine in V8.2 and were even saved in Alibre step format, now no longer display. They exist but will not display and grind the display speed down to an excruciatingly slow rate for pan and rotate.

I am going to run a few checks today to see if re-importing the step files straight into V9 will improve the situation.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

1. Auto-update failed. Uninstall + manual download worked.

2. Possibly because of the above, Design Check will not register or install (still working on this with the help of Support).

Veness

1. Auto-update failed. Uninstall + manual download worked.

2. Possibly because of the above, Design Check will not register or install (still working on this with the help of Support).
ditto

I haven't gotten the "trim to surface" or "thicken surface" to work yet, but it may be a user problem.

I still haven't figured out how to "snap" my dimensions in 2D drawings, I still have to "zoom in" and adjust them manually (I think this was fixed in V9.0).

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

Veness said:
I still haven't figured out how to "snap" my dimensions in 2D drawings, I still have to "zoom in" and adjust them manually (I think this was fixed in V9.0).

This should work even in V8.0 .

This is called features in Alibre and you may not have them turned on.
View>Toolbars make certain the Filters toolbar is checked.

With the Filters toolbar make certain any snap feature you wish to have is selected.

Also the feature you are trying to measure will turn red when the mouse is over it. If you can not select an intersect or end of a feature first apply a dimension directly to the feature then the end snaps will be come available (even if you delete the original dimension).

Warning...9.0 spoils your files so 8.2 can't open them.

I have a major problem with "auto regeneration". I chatted with an assistant this morning and he says I can't turn off "auto regeneration" in 9.0

It seems that the configuration enhancements [for the benefit of pro users] and other changes are adversly effecting the productivity of standard users.

I have tried to switch back to 8.2 to check out the way it worked in the old days but found this...

Any file I made or opened in 9.0 will not open in 8.2 :!:

with this dialog box...

Warning...an unexpected error has occurred...imported file version 9.0 is higher than current Alibre version 8.2.

So I re-installed 9.0 and exported my "converted" files to .stp
expecting that I could re-install 8.2 and import them back in...

except when I tried I got this dialog...
Warning-File Version is Unsupported...com.alibre.rose.RoseException: imported file version: 9,0,0,9238 is higher than current Alibre version: 8,2,0,9072...File was not imported due to errors.

Major Problem...This was not called out in the release notes...maybe not deemed important enough or maybe just not tested.

It's difficult to believe that Alibre would subject its users [without warning them first] to an upgrade with "no recourse" to roll back if it wasn't acceptable. :x

So If any of you are just trying out 9.0 but want to retain the option to revert back to 8.2...

Make a backup of everything before you touch anything with 9.0.

Steve

P.S. When I opened 8.2 I was faced with a dialog box saying...

"Alibre Design version 8.2.0.9072 is installed on your system. Version 9.0.0.9238 (17 Mb) has just become available. We strongly recommend that you upgrade."

Unless you want to check it out, play with the new features and experiance the frustrations of an inadaquately tested release version...I would recommend "NOT" upgrading yet...at least until the ones who did take the plunge report back that it's worth it...especially if your productivity is important.

delboy

Hi

Re my earlier post about my drawing frustrations. I have just had a pleasant surprise, Scott Erickson took the time and trouble to phone me from America to discuss my problems.

I find that fantastic. We have a company that is prepared to make an international phone call to a small guy like myself to try and fix the problems.

I am confident that they will, so forget the frustrations that came through in my last post stick in there guys because I am sure they are on to the problems and will fix them.

Delboy

siggy

My biggest problem is with opening 2D drawing files previously created with 8.2. I have a couple of drawings that I simply can't get open now - the process runs for hours (task manager shows Alibre running and not hung). Seems like 2D now uses HUGE amnounts of RAM - way more than before.

Not yet sure if native 9.0 drawings will work better or not - time will tell.

Another minor gripe is the new WYSIWYG line weights. I know others had specifically requested proper line scale on the screen but to me it looks horrible and significantly degrades the "crispness" of the display when doing 2D drawings.

jemmej

I know some requested it. But I always thought that those kind of display options should be toggled. Also, I don't use them in AutoCAD since they don't work to my liking there either :)

Jim

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

delboy said:
Hi

Re my earlier post about my drawing frustrations. I have just had a pleasant surprise, Scott Erickson took the time and trouble to phone me from America to discuss my problems.

I find that fantastic. We have a company that is prepared to make an international phone call to a small guy like myself to try and fix the problems.

I am confident that they will, so forget the frustrations that came through in my last post stick in there guys because I am sure they are on to the problems and will fix them.

Delboy

I know from first hand experience that Scott Erickson is a very special person. He is the one that introduced AD to me and worked with me when I first purchased the software. He has moved up in the company and I don't hear from him much, but he always will answer my emails. They need to collect his DNA and clone him at Alibre.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Against my gut, I am going to upgrade to 9. I have a client that has upgraded, and I need to get on the same level.

I will take all precautions and advice from this forum. Thank you for all the information. Keep it coming.

Now, I will not be able to vote again (I was one that voted that I did not have it installed yet), but I will post any issues that I have.

Edit #1: My load went without flaw. So far so good. Will give it a test drive and load the add ons this weekend when I have more time. I will try to replicate some of the reported bugs. By the way, the WYSIWYG is really not WYSIWYG (when zooming). I agree with the other posters that this needs a toggle option.

jbeard

New bug here. Neither modelpress publisher or reader works on my pc any longer. I really don't understand this as it was just working last evening and now doesn't. I uninstalled everything including alibre and attempted to reinstall to no avail. Got more tracing to do, as this could possibly be connected to my windows updates this evening.

SJX426

I first started using with V7. I thought it was pretty good for the money at the time and experience level with the SW. V8 was a really mixed bag of good and bad. 8.2 was a small small improvement. I was prompted to move to new HW (HP zd800, 3.4G P4, 512 RAM, 1 GB HD, 128MB Video, XP-MCE) as I was using an old Laptop with only 256 RAM and 16 MB of video! Perfromance was suspect because of a lot of crashing and strange behavior. The crashes and strange behavoir happened faster.
My hope was V9 would fix some of the problems. Sadly, that is not the case although opening and closing parts, drawings etc. are faster. Overall performance is better, but I am still very nervous.
Because the problems are not repeatable, I need more time to determine if there is a reduction in fatal failures.

I started a log of issues as I find them and will post them in the enhanced section in a week or so.

dmckee101

Alibre Super User

I've dealt with upgrades to AutoDesk, PTC, other CAE packages and now Alibre and so my expectation was to find problems and/or annoyances. Here's my expeience so far:

• 1.Auto-update worked like a champ. No problems.
    2. My experiments with the Configurations have been successful, I look forward to using this feature.
    3. As mentioned previously, some (not all) imported STEP are not visible in assemblies. Even lthough when their part file is opened things look normal.

****Found a reference to this problem by moyesboy on another post http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2125 referencing this problem. His fix was a deep regen, CTRL+SHIFT+F5. It worked for me, so item 3 has been resolved.*****

4. Drawings have been an performance issue for me since v8.2 Now a new quirk exists: Text in my drawings (notes, title block template and callout balloons) is smaller by 11%.

Dennis

Orthographic vs Perspective

Maybe I'm getting cross-eyed but from my vantage point...in my drawings...when in a part workspace and I choose to view/orthographic they display as perspective and vice versa.

I thought that when the bullet was next to "perspective" in the view menu the drawing was to show in perspective.

Is this just me [the same with/without reading glasses]?

If this is true...not a big problem...but another problem.

Steve